TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

My Test Drive Today

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rolosrevenge, Mar 9, 2013.

1. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I took a test drive of a Performance Model Today and loved it. So responsive and amazing handling. Completely blows away my A6. Some negatives, the back seemed to shake when I punched it hard and that silly cruise control handle from the Mercedes steering column was annoying. I also wish it had more regen so I wouldn't waste so much energy using the brakes. Here's a full writeup at my EV blog.

http://youradonmytesla.com/2013/03/09/tesla-model-s-performance-test-drive/

2. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

You know, when I test drove the Bellevue Performance car, I too was disappointed with the regen. Shucks, seemed like my LEAF had more regen than that. But, now that I have a non-performance 85 kWh, I think the regen is just where I want it - much stronger than I recall from the test drive.

I wonder if they have the regen set on low, or is there a difference in regen between the performance and non?

And I still sometimes mix-up those two levers.:rolleyes:

3. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

P85 with regen on high and I only use brakes to kill the last 2mph. I suspect Puyallup Bill is right and regen was set to low.
    The CC thingy is a known PITA. My wife kept hitting it for the blinker (BMW girl) which caused problems when she lifted at the corner and the car kept going :( It takes some getting used to if you're not a MB type.

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I specifically asked the Tesla employee if the regen could get any stronger and she showed that it was set on maximum.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's the difference in weight between the Roadster and the Model S that makes the regen seem weaker.

6. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

That may be, but my experience was comparing the performance S with the standard S. My standard has much stronger regen than the performance I test drove. Like lolachampcar's post above, brakes aren't normally needed until just before the full stop.

7. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

the production Tesla S has quite aggressive regen.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Regen is quite strong on the P85.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Regen also gets stronger as your battery warms up. I could probably go for a little more, but as others have pointed out, the higher mass of the Model S compared to Roadster or Leaf is why the deceleration is less.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The regen is maxed out. The battery just can't take any more that much at once.. The Roadaster is a lighter car so it slows faster. Maybe someday they will use supercapisitors to take the extra energy.

11. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Which is sad because driving the way I liked to, I needed the brakes a lot.

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That is how my S85 behaves as well--about 4 mph depending upon grade. I've only driven the performance for the ten minute Get Amped tour, so I don't really have a comparison.