TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My Test Drive with DSM363 and his Mom!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Al Sherman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I can't thank DSM and his beautiful and gracious Mom enough for the test drive today. It could NOT have been better, or more fun with any Tesla Pros. I can't thank either one enough, or express how delightful they both are in person.

This was my first ever contact with the Model S. I'll give you the short version. The two most impressive things today were: 1. The acceleration is almost bewildering. I was too chicken to drive David's mother's car on the road so I just drove it around the mall parking lot while David briefed me on the systems. We then switched seats and David took it out on the State Highway and floored it. The only thing I can compare it to is a full afterburner takeoff in a supersonic fighter jet. I would guess a minimum of 3 transverse G's. Just mind boggling. 2. No picture of this car does it justice. The car is simply gorgeous and stunning. Just an absolutely beautiful vehicle.

There's obviously much more but that's the short version and the two most impressive parts. Just for laughs, the pic below is the first part where I was "creeping" around the parking lot, and for the rest you can see the times when Dave was demonstrating the "afterburner" effect.

What a great morning!

Janes Graph.JPG

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I know it's fun, but 3g's ?

3. Al Sherman

LOL. I've seen folks with homemade G meters in their cars. Not sure how accurate. There are also any number of G meters available for the iPhone in the app store ranging from free to 9 bucks. I wish I'd had one. Been over 25 years since I pulled lots of G's but I REALLY believe I felt at least 3 G's when DSM floored the pedal. It was instantaneous and tapered off . A 60 degree bank level turn in any aircraft is 2 G's and I've done those routinely over the years after fighters. (disclaimer: NEVER in a Delta Airlines aircraft) I would truly be surprised if I didn't feel at least 3 G's.

Come on all you techies, who has a G meter in their S?

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Had a great time. Great meeting you as well.

5. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

There is a specific feeling I get (got) when I approach 2.4 - 2.5 Gs. It is a stomach-meets-pelvis feeling that many here will understand/agree. I get that feeling in a performance. So it is, at a guestimation, at least that close.

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

The Roadster has a built-in G meter, and the most I've ever seen (I'm heavy, and it's non-sport model) is 0.72. Sorry if I harsh your mellow.

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Sorry, you pilot guys, the math doesn't work out:

1g = 32 ft/sec/sec;

Thus: 3g = 96ft/sec/sec;

and 60mph = 88 ft/sec.

Therefore 3g would yield a 0-60 time of under one second!

What we know for the Model S Performance (published numbers):

0-60 in 4.4 seconds is: ((88ft/sec) / (4.4 seconds))/32ft/sec/sec) = 0.625g

I think the reason a transverse acceleration of 0.625g feels like more to those of us who are pilots is because 'pulling g' in an airplane mostly acts in a direction downward, through your tush instead of aft, through your back. Since many aircraft seats are reclined somewhat, you feel a bit of extra 'weight' on your back, but not nearly all of the extra 'g' force.

Since in a car the force of gravity during straight-line acceleration is always 1g acting straight down, vector addition of 0.625g straight aft gives, by the Pythagorean theorem, sqrt(sqr(1)+sqr(0.625)) = 1.338g total acceleration at an angle of about 32 degrees aft of the vertical (tan(x) = 0.625, where x is the angle aft of vertical).

Looked at another way, the Model S Performance should be able to accelerate up a 30 degree slope with no problems. :biggrin:

8. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

Depending on tires you might be able to hit 1g. It's not really possible to do any better without having downforce to help you gain traction (which requires a lot of extra power to overcome the added drag). The most I've personally ever been able to get out of a street car is .95 g's while cornering.

As a reference, formula one cars can hit 2.5 g's while braking, with tens of thousands of pounds of extra aerodynamic downforce.

9. Zextraterrestrial

The bottom of the 0-60 (25-40) is much quicker than the over 40 portion of the run
    I think 1 g could be in there

Braking is probably >1g

10. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#10 ChadS, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Yup, that's a lot faster than a Model S will go. It is about THIS fast:

11. Al Sherman

Does this mean I should put the G-Suit back in the closet? I guess the option for the place to plug it in is off the table too?

12. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

As long as we are updating plumbing, make sure it supports combat edge, as well.

13. Al Sherman

Wasn't able to "steal?" one of those due to out processing long before they existed. Never seemed to need them on the 76. :smile:

14. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

When I was growin up in Pacoima, California 3g's of acceleration is what you felt when three gangsters were chasing you.. :frown:

15. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Brief instantaneous forces may exceed those numbers. Even if average accel over 1-5 seconds is less.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Nice to see so many pilots buying the S. I wonder if there's an appeal we all share for the car.

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I would suggest that it's more related to a lack of fear about range -- pilots (of both airplanes and ships) are used to careful fuel management and course planning. I don't fly, but I do boat, and life isn't good if you run out of gas either 100 miles off-shore or 20,000 feet in the air. (Though, I'd prefer being offshore in that case....)

18. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

As any pilot will tell you... the only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire!

19. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

The Model S does do 3G..... Blazing fast 3G cell service that is :smile:

20. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Airplanes, (specifically the P51 Mustang), Motorcycles, and the Tesla Model S, are all exciting from my engineering/artist geek point of view. I have a friend who builds P51's from scratch, they are flying art. Just like the Model S is driving art.