Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My theory why the S/X will never get sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry mode shows up on my 2018 MS 100D. I tried it out in my garage last night, but could not tell it was working. I walked very close to the car, without my key fob and without touching the car, and nothing happened. Shouldn't something happen???
I left it on yesterday @ my work. I don't know how it worked. When I checked my USB, it shows recent and saved folders folders. Anytime someone get close to car, the clips were saved in saved folder.

I left it on yesterday @ my work. I don't know how it worked. When I checked my USB, it shows recent and saved folders folders. Anytime someone get close to car, the clips were saved in saved folder.

Same with mine. It's pretty sensitive . There a lot of saved clips on the USB drive, which meant that Sentry mode was activated but there's a whole lot of nothing. Some of the video, particularly from the side camera were distorted and half of the video is green but it did a system reset and reformatted the drive and it seemed fine now.

It does activate fairly quick the minute I am within view of the side cameras when I tested it out couple days ago.

Sentry mode shows up on my 2018 MS 100D. I tried it out in my garage last night, but could not tell it was working. I walked very close to the car, without my key fob and without touching the car, and nothing happened. Shouldn't something happen???

Did you format/install a USB drive and then activate it when you parked? Since it uses the computer, cameras, and sensors (which use increased amounts of power) you have to enable it when you want it - it does not auto enable. You can either enable it before exiting the vehicle from the "Safety and Security" menu or from the "Controls" section of your mobile app

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Did you format/install a USB drive and then activate it when you parked? Since it uses the computer, cameras, and sensors (which use increased amounts of power) you have to enable it when you want it - it does not auto enable. You can either enable it before exiting the vehicle from the "Safety and Security" menu or from the "Controls" section of your mobile app

Well, I think I did. I formatted the USB stick according to instructions. I got the "camera" icon at top of screen and it appears to be recording. I assume that's for the dashcam. I turned on Sentry Mode from the Tesla app.

Try approaching the car and looking into the windows. You should see the Hal 9000 eye pop up on the display.

Yes I have observed the all knowing HAL popup. But standing there longer didn't cause anything else to happen. I haven't taken my thumbdrive out yet to see what videos have been recorded. It is a pain to have to enable sentry each time you leave the vehicle Would be good t have an option to make it persistent or geo-located settings. For example, at home in my garage, there is no need to have sentry on, when I'm out and about, I'd rather have it on as an additional "safety net"

Oh wow.. is that a technology issue or a not-caring-about-older-model issue? Specific to dashcam since there is a camera there for AP1..

HW 1 is based on camera and technology from Mobileye. Tesla consumed that as a feed. There is drama and a falling out but basically Elon wanted more control over the technology so he decided to build his own. The first version was HW 2.0 that has the side cameras too. So it really is a technology issue along with likely a licensing issue.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
Yes I have observed the all knowing HAL popup. But standing there longer didn't cause anything else to happen. I haven't taken my thumbdrive out yet to see what videos have been recorded. It is a pain to have to enable sentry each time you leave the vehicle Would be good t have an option to make it persistent or geo-located settings. For example, at home in my garage, there is no need to have sentry on, when I'm out and about, I'd rather have it on as an additional "safety net"
Not that Tesla or the app can, however there is some other services out there that can. I use teslafi.com. I have it currently set up to arm at my wife's work when she arrives. There is a setting to arm at any unknown location with in 5 minutes of parking.

Oh wow.. is that a technology issue or a not-caring-about-older-model issue? Specific to dashcam since there is a camera there for AP1..

HW 1 is based on camera and technology from Mobileye. Tesla consumed that as a feed. There is drama and a falling out but basically Elon wanted more control over the technology so he decided to build his own. The first version was HW 2.0 that has the side cameras too. So it really is a technology issue along with likely a licensing issue.

You're confusing multiple things. The reason why AP1 and AP2 cars can't have the dashcam feature and AP 2.5 cars can has nothing to do with software, licensing, Mobileye, or camera types. It's a hardware/wiring issue. There is a physical connection between the AP 2.5 computer (which gets the camera signals) and the MCU 2 computer which ultimately allows a video signal/file to be sent to the USB port and to a USB stick. That connection does not exist in the AP1 or AP2 cars, so there is no way for the video signal to be sent to a stick and saved. I think it was @verygreen who reported this difference but am not sure. As I understand it, doing this would require replacing both the AP and MCU computers as well as additional wiring in the car between those units and the camera(s).

You're confusing multiple things. The reason why AP1 and AP2 cars can't have the dashcam feature and AP 2.5 cars can has nothing to do with software, licensing, Mobileye, or camera types. It's a hardware/wiring issue. There is a physical connection between the AP 2.5 computer (which gets the camera signals) and the MCU 2 computer which ultimately allows a video signal/file to be sent to the USB port and to a USB stick. That connection does not exist in the AP1 or AP2 cars, so there is no way for the video signal to be sent to a stick and saved. I think it was @verygreen who reported this difference but am not sure. As I understand it, doing this would require replacing both the AP and MCU computers as well as additional wiring in the car between those units and the camera(s).

NOOOOooooo MCU2 has absolutely -0- ZERO to do with Sentry Mode

Reactions: EVSteve

For AP1 there is no way to get the video from the MobilEye unit to the MCU. For AP2 the APE is missing the second SOC that is used for processing/compressing the video and sending it to the MCU. (MCU1 or MCU2 doesn't matter.)

Technically AP2 could do Sentry, but Tesla has chosen not to. (The cameras have a different color filter that may be part of the reason they chose not to.)

Reactions: jlv1