Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY thinks charger is plugged in, can't drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car thinks charger is plugged in but it's not, can't drive

Hi all,
I went to drive my Y last night and after unplugging the charger I got an error that the charger is not plugged in correctly. The charge cover stays open and I can't move the car.

I rang support and tried everything but we couldn't get it to recognise that the charger was unplugged. The screen is saying it's reading 2 volts on the port which is probably why it thinks something is there.

Tesla organised a tow but I can't get it into tow mode or in neutral so I'm worried about it being damaged. Is there anything I can try? I'll list what I have tried so far:

- rebooting screen (holding steering wheel buttons)
- plugging in and unplugging charger over and over
- manual charger release cord
- closing the flap manually
- powering on and off the car
- applied a software update
- cleaned the charge port door
- blew out the charge ports (not dirty or wet)
- tried different chargers
- tried changing the screen language (Tesla supports idea)
- cleaned the pins
- tried a magnet on door latch sensor

The car is basically brand new, it's only done 4000 KMs. I'm in Australia and it's hot as here so no ice. Also it's in warranty so I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that, so I haven't tried a full reset by disconnecting the 12v battery because Tesla didn't recommend it.

Any help will be appreciated, I can post any screenshots people need.

Thanks

Try changing the tire size in the menu, the car will reboot then change it back and let the car reboot again. It is my understanding that short of disconnecting the 12V battery, this is a deepest reboot possible, aside from returning the car to factory defaults.

Fully power down the car and restart it:

If that doesn’t work, you need to unplug the chargeport to drive the car, but thay requires removing the interior panels on rear left.

Also you can have the tow truck load the car without tow mode no problem. It will be just like pulling up any car that has parking brake engaged - they do this all the time.

Also you can have the tow truck load the car without tow mode no problem. It will be just like pulling up any car that has parking brake engaged - they do this all the time.
This can damage the drive unit and may void the warranty.

Call the tow company and explain the problem and see if they have a solution for you without dragging the car. They will probably be able to help you.

Tesla organised a tow but I can't get it into tow mode or in neutral so I'm worried about it being damaged.
Better yet, let Tesla's tow company handle it since they are acting on behalf of Tesla.