Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on 2018 Model X after Turo Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Model 3 long range owner since 2018, here are my thoughts on 2018 Model X 75D 7-seater rental from Turo:

Pros:
The expansive view of roads, sky, and scenery is AWESOME. This alone makes it the best Tesla.
The car drives amazing on twisty mountain roads, way better than I predicted, almost as good as Model 3.
Air suspension is good. Sometimes it's smoother than Model 3 coils, other times it's equally bumpy/wobbly.
Cabin noise in front seat is pretty quiet, much better than Model 3. But I heard noise coming from falcon wing doors, so back seat is probably louder cabin noise.
Super fast 0-60 around 4.2 seconds even in the 75D model for 2018.
Ride height for getting in/out are perfect.
Vegan seats are great, almost as comfortable as Model 3 front seats. These X seats seemed to hug too tight.
Huge vertical screen is better than horizontal, and dual screens are so much better than Model 3 single screen.
7 seats is cool.
Actual air vents that you can change manually is nice.
Falcon Wing doors are overall awesome, but sucks when there's a roof above.

Cons:
The car seems to flex/wobble somewhat because it's so heavy and is using a chassis designed for a sedan. Especially on 90-degree turns where there's a bump.
The car shudders on fast acceleration, making it less fun to floor it, compared to my Model 3. Improves somewhat on Low suspension.
The only seats that are actually comfortable are the front two. The 2nd row bench is average, leg room is not very good, and the 3rd row is tiny. But 2nd row is still way better than S or 3.
The range of an older 75D is abysmal. This one only charged to 180 miles at 90%. I would never get a 75D for road trips. My Model 3 is the same year and has the same 75kwh and goes 300+ miles.

Summary : Best car ever. I want a 2018 100D or Raven Long Range next year, when used prices come down when 2022s are delivering.

BlackM3,
Thank you the this excellent review of X 75D. This is the model and year that has been of high interest, but the range has been a concern. Your review validates my range concern about the 75D. I have read that the 90D has a high battery degradation rate. Again, thank you for your review. Maybe time to reconsider a different battery.

Huge vertical screen is better than horizontal, and dual screens are so much better than Model 3 single screen.
Thank you! I completely agree. But it seems as if everyone else prefers the single horizontal display? I don't understand that. When I test drove the Y, I found my wrist prevented a clear view of the screen and my speed.

I also never understood when people would say that the horizontal screen is better because Netflix looks better. How often do people watch TV in their car? I have a nice big screen in my living room for that. :)

Thank you! I completely agree. But it seems as if everyone else prefers the single horizontal display? I don't understand that. When I test drove the Y, I found my wrist prevented a clear view of the screen and my speed.

I also never understood when people would say that the horizontal screen is better because Netflix looks better. How often do people watch TV in their car? I have a nice big screen in my living room for that. :)
I don't think anyone thinks a single screen is better than two. There are certainly disagreements over orientation of the main screen though. I think portrait makes more sense though for navigation (it's primary purpose). I want to see as much ahead as I can and could care less about how much I see to the sides. I always had my phone portrait for navigation. I do like the new S/X that the screen can be angled towards you though.

How often do people watch TV in their car
I do every day. 😁 Couple hours on average.

The horizontal screen on the 3/Y is pretty nice for that, but eyeballing it (no MCU2 yet), the X’s vertical screen would play a video about the same size as my iPad propped up on the steering wheel. Small sacrifice for having so much more useful real estate: map+nav, big rear view camera, and the tracking playing on the stereo. Plus all the really important stuff stays on the binnacle where it belongs.

Totally agree that 2 screens are better than 1 and the extra real estate of the larger center screen is important. However, I am in the horizontal/landscape camp regarding orientation simple because the bottom of the vertical screen is a take-your-eyes-off-the-road place. I believe the refreshed S/X has kept the same size and just rotated orientation, and although I’ve not gotten to experience it, I think it got it right.

Reactions: Pacernow
Totally agree that 2 screens are better than 1 and the extra real estate of the larger center screen is important. However, I am in the horizontal/landscape camp regarding orientation simple because the bottom of the vertical screen is a take-your-eyes-off-the-road place. I believe the refreshed S/X has kept the same size and just rotated orientation, and although I’ve not gotten to experience it, I think it got it right.
Good point about having to look down with portrait orientation.

I am starting to get comfortable with the idea of landscape orientation for the center display in the new X. I think it will be OK. Especially since the X and S, unlike the 3 or Y, have a driver binnacle that displays speed, and can display next turn info, music, etc.

I'm a Model 3 long range owner since 2018, here are my thoughts on 2018 Model X 75D 7-seater rental from Turo:

Pros:
The expansive view of roads, sky, and scenery is AWESOME. This alone makes it the best Tesla.
The car drives amazing on twisty mountain roads, way better than I predicted, almost as good as Model 3.
Air suspension is good. Sometimes it's smoother than Model 3 coils, other times it's equally bumpy/wobbly.
Cabin noise in front seat is pretty quiet, much better than Model 3. But I heard noise coming from falcon wing doors, so back seat is probably louder cabin noise.
Ride height for getting in/out are perfect.
Vegan seats are great, almost as comfortable as Model 3 front seats. These X seats seemed to hug too tight.
7 seats is cool.
Actual air vents that you can change manually is nice.
Falcon Wing doors are overall awesome, but sucks when there's a roof above.

Cons:
The car seems to flex/wobble somewhat because it's so heavy and is using a chassis designed for a sedan. Especially on 90-degree turns where there's a bump.
The car shudders on fast acceleration, making it less fun to floor it, compared to my Model 3. Improves somewhat on Low suspension.
The only seats that are actually comfortable are the front two. The 2nd row bench is average, leg room is not very good, and the 3rd row is tiny. But 2nd row is still way better than S or 3.
The range of an older 75D is abysmal. This one only charged to 180 miles at 90%. I would never get a 75D for road trips. My Model 3 is the same year and has the same 75kwh and goes 300+ miles.

Summary : Best car ever. I want a 2018 100D or Raven Long Range next year, when used prices come down when 2022s are delivering.
Thanks for the review. With used car prices soaring, I’m thinking about selling my Model 3. I’ve been looking at the old Model X’s and this is a great review for me. Thank you so much!

2020 MX LR Plus for three days starting today while they do 8 jobs on my MS including MCU2 upgrade.

Rain came and the entire cul de sac had to stop playing with the car, I think we have about 8 future MX drivers.
They just could not stop playing with the doors and entertainment.

I drove it 3h from service and it is a big boat, even in customer loaner valet chill mode and 84mph cap it still pulls big time.
Very nice and comfy, the very hot weather did not affect me at all, tint is just right.

Not my cuppa tea, will likely downgrade from MS to M3 LR $2k uncorked as kids are big now. Will remember
the MX once I become preinstitutional, a blessing for arthritics with air suspension and easy bending free entry.

Pretty sure this is wrong. I believe that is the 0-60 for 75D model S

MX is pretty good but shudder and falcon doors bring it down. Also best seating arrangement (6 seat) limits storage by not folding down

Really hope they got rid of the shudder with new model but not holding my breath. Driving in always low defeats the purpose of buying an SUV

Pretty sure this is wrong. I believe that is the 0-60 for 75D model S

MX is pretty good but shudder and falcon doors bring it down. Also best seating arrangement (6 seat) limits storage by not folding down

Really hope they got rid of the shudder with new model but not holding my breath. Driving in always low defeats the purpose of buying an SUV
On the other hand, driving it in Very Low all the time makes it a great bubble-shaped station wagon

Good point about having to look down with portrait orientation.

I am starting to get comfortable with the idea of landscape orientation for the center display in the new X. I think it will be OK. Especially since the X and S, unlike the 3 or Y, have a driver binnacle that displays speed, and can display next turn info, music, etc.

You know, it's funny... I switch between the 3 and X almost daily, and I have to tell you ... I'd prefer the landscape orientation with the instrument cluster in the X. Kinda best of both worlds.

The 3's display was even better (IMO) last year before the fall update. They enlarged the left hand side of the screen which shrunk the map a little bit. I liked the larger map better. Having the 17" screen in the X would make that problem go away.

Reactions: Pacernow
You know, it's funny... I switch between the 3 and X almost daily, and I have to tell you ... I'd prefer the landscape orientation with the instrument cluster in the X. Kinda best of both worlds.

The 3's display was even better (IMO) last year before the fall update. They enlarged the left hand side of the screen which shrunk the map a little bit. I liked the larger map better. Having the 17" screen in the X would make that problem go away.
When I drive our 3 I also don't like that large left side area of the center dedicated to speed and traffic awareness. I think keeping all that on the pinnacle in the 2021+ X and S will keep the center screen a secondary screen for much of my driving, as it is today. And I much prefer to split immediate information needs (speed, traffic awareness) from the other secondary information.

Reactions: Harvey Danger