Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Thoughts on Autopilot Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, following distance setting makes a big difference in Autopilot's aggressiveness and therefore efficiency. If you want Autopilot to be more efficient, you have to give it longer following distances (and accept more idiots cutting in.)

For a while, it didn't matter what following distance I was using (3, 5, 7), it was trying to keep that distance as quickly as possible without any type of deadband that led me to think it wasn't great on efficiency. Its now using some type of filtering/deadband to that makes it much smoother.

While I find autopilot works in a lot of situations, there are some where I don’t use it. If I hand a semi behind me I sometimes find it can stop too suddenly for the truck driver.

Generally autopilot is more efficient for me because I am somewhat of a speed demon without it. I only really have to worry about it when I am running low on charge between supercharger stops, but I will often spend a little more time at the stop to compensate.

Reactions: Jedi2155
While I find autopilot works in a lot of situations, there are some where I don’t use it. If I hand a semi behind me I sometimes find it can stop too suddenly for the truck driver.

Generally autopilot is more efficient for me because I am somewhat of a speed demon without it. I only really have to worry about it when I am running low on charge between supercharger stops, but I will often spend a little more time at the stop to compensate.

Absolutely agree. There are many times I turn off autopilot because of how sudden it brakes due to a car and I've noticed its terrible at sensing cars trying to merge into you. Almost got into an accident on Friday @ 5 mph, when a van tried to slowly inch into my spot but AP just kept moving in....

Absolutely agree. There are many times I turn off autopilot because of how sudden it brakes due to a car and I've noticed its terrible at sensing cars trying to merge into you. Almost got into an accident on Friday @ 5 mph, when a van tried to slowly inch into my spot but AP just kept moving in....

Was this with V9? This exact behavior (someone cutting you off/merging right in front of you) is something that i feel has gotten MUCH better since the update. The car feels a lot smoother and doesn't jump on the brakes as much.

Reactions: Jedi2155