Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on TACC 2019.8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quite pleased when I realized I could use TACC on my city streets safely. It was fun to simply set my max speed, activate TACC, and let the car worry about keeping up with the traffic within the speed limit without constantly having to check the speedometer; especially once I discovered that the car would also come to a dead stop at a stop light, then start up again—as long as there was another car in front of me. There were only two things that bothered me: I felt that the car would approach a stopped car too fast, and then need to brake aggressively to come to a stop, and it would misinterpret cars that were turning from in front of me as potential collision threats and brake in an overly-aggressive manner before resuming a normal speed when they were simply making a maneuver into a turn lane.

My impressions of the TACC update with 2019.8.5 is that it has become even more overly-sensitive to cars moving into a turn lane and braking without warning in such a way as to be potentially troublesome to any car that might be following me and which would not be expecting me to brake in such a situation. Also, while on the previous update, the car would come to a stop behind a car at a stoplight in the properly-accepted distance with the top of my dashboard aligned with the bottom of the rear tires of the car in front me, it now stops about a car’s length away—too far, it seems to me. Also, whereas before, my car would wait when starting again maybe a second or so before starting to roll forward, it now waits uncomfortably longer, and then starts up much more abruptly than before and seems to have a difficult time adjusting its speed to the car in front.

As a result, I am less comfortable using TACC in town now—and don’t do so unless there is very little traffic.
@dewittbo ...any improvement? Or you still have the same issue? Does the camera calibration help TACC after some time?
This 2019.8.5 made TACC useless now. My experience exactly matches yours. How come this thread is not the top thread in terms of activity? I have 2017 AP2 FSD.

I now have 2019.12 which is a marked improvement over 2019.8.x

- My car no longer hard-panics in front of any form of traffic light (including green). It'll still slow down then speed up though (which 2018.49.20 didn't) but thankfully no longer emergency brakes.
- It's not scared of fire hydrants any more (seriously - I set TACC on a 25mph road near my home to avoid accidentally speeding, and since 2018.49.20 the car would emergency brake every time it saw a hydrant on a bend)
- It's not intimidated by large trucks to the left or right [as much]. 2018.49.20 ignored them, 2019.8.x would panic brake passing, but 2019.12 seems to be much smoother
- On the plus side, lane changes that require mild braking (e.g. merging towards an exit lane) seem dramatically better than all prior releases....