Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My thoughts on the MCU1 failure debacle and the outcome for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
As an MCU1 owner that is near death I've thought about how this will play out for the company as a whole and have come up with the following scenarios. Of course all hinges on the outcome of the NHTSA investigation.

1. NHTSA rules against Tesla and calls it a safety issue and forces a recall. This is the worst possible outcome for Tesla. Not only will they have to fix/replace faulty MCU1's but reimburse owners that paid out of pocket to replace dead MCU1's. Financially it will be a disaster but more so, the stock price will suffer. Bad press and articles questioning Tesla's build quality, longetivity and questioning building a car that relies so heavily on the center screen. Potential buyers may be scared away with the design fault and Tesla's handling of the situation. Expect a nice drop in the stock which I'm sure will eventually recover, but in the short term will hurt Tesla.

2. NHTSA rules in favor of Tesla. Obviously Tesla is angling and hoping for this outcome. They recently changed the MCU replacement warranty to 2 years vs 4 years. So they expect the replacement's to die and don't want to cover the cost. Stock will remain high and the issue will be swept away. Sure they may lose older owners but it will be a drop in the bucket for them.

3. Of course Tesla could forgo the risk of option 1, which IMO since all Elon cares about is the stock price anymore they should go with this option. Issue a voluntary recall and acknowledge that when MCU1 was designed they didn't forsee this issue since the technology was unheard of at the time in a car. Analyze MCU's remotely and determine which are closest to death and Give owners the option of upgrading to MCU2 at their own expense or receive a new MCU1 (redesigned with new emmc (this is an inexpensive part as proven by EVfixme) when your MCU is near end of the rated life. Tesla would pull the old MCU1's and send them off to receive the new emmc which is rated to last longer. This option ensures Tesla doesn't get bombarded trying to replace all the MCU1's at once and prioritizes the older owners with MCU1's near failure. If your MCU lasts 7 years then Tesla doesn't have to replace until the 7th year when it is near it's rated end of lifetime. Stock may dip a bit on the voluntary recall, but the dip doesn't last since NHTSA drops the investigation and most press praises Tesla for doing this voluntarily.

What do you guys think? I think Tesla is looking too hard at the short term cost of this and underestimating how much the stock might be affected if the NHTSA investigation rules against them.

Reactions: f205v
My primary thought on this is that Tesla has no competition to force them to offer reasonable customer service. They used to have amazing customer service in order to show people how good direct-to-consumer sales could be. Now we're seeing the dark side of that coin because they've gutted their customer service in what I can only assume is an effort to bolster profit margins to make Wall Street investors happy. They become profitable ahead of schedule and it started happening shortly after they started gutting their customer service. Imagine that, you cut costs and increase profit. The problem is that customers are becoming increasingly pissed and what was once their best asset (word of mouth) is now becoming their worst enemy. Everyone I spoke with previously just heard how amazing and revolutionary these cars were. Now I feel compelled to follow that up with the simple fact that Tesla has the worst customer service of any product I've ever owned. It's not even close either. Until Tesla cares about what this is doing to them or someone else comes along with a product that's even close but with better customer support they're the only EV show in town. Right now they're making hay but that sun isn't going to be shining for much longer. Sadly, we're going to be forced to go back the dealership model but Tesla is ruining about the only chance we're going to have in our lifetime at decent direct-to-consumer car sales through their greed for profit trumping their care for the customer.

tl;dr Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst. Don't expect them to make any decisions that favor the consumer's satisfaction over the bottom line.

Analyze MCU's remotely and determine which are closest to death

I'm not sure this is possible. The latest evidence says that the issue for most of the recent failings is not related to excessive writes, but due to some batches of the eMMC having an issue in the controller portion of the chip. So the issue isn't exactly something Tesla has control over, and I don't know if failure can be predicted. I wonder if Tesla can go after the chip supplier to recover some of the cost. (But probably not as 5+ years is probably after whatever warranty period Tesla had with them.)

I'm not sure this is possible. The latest evidence says that the issue for most of the recent failings is not related to excessive writes, but due to some batches of the eMMC having an issue in the controller portion of the chip. So the issue isn't exactly something Tesla has control over, and I don't know if failure can be predicted. I wonder if Tesla can go after the chip supplier to recover some of the cost. (But probably not as 5+ years is probably after whatever warranty period Tesla had with them.)

I dont don't think the chips they used were even rated for this type of use

Not Only their Service decline, but it is very difficult to get any parts from them. One thing I loved about Tesla before was their customer service and i was willing to pay a premium for their cars. S

It’s sad. Our first Tesla experience was amazing. Innovative in nearly every aspect of car ownership

Tesla used to be a premium brand. They still have premium technology in the drivetrain, but it’s becoming more, Detroit, in all other regards. Worse, in some respects, given they’re leveraging the lack of competition.

In 15-20 years, this may not matter if AI/autonomous completely disrupts the car ownership paradigm. But there’s a window ripe for the competition to exploit.

MCU failure causes loss of headlight control and turn signals, NHTSA will find it is a safety issue. Just headlight control

It's not that bad though. Third party fixes cost a few hundred dollars and Tesla can do it cheaper with bulk employees doing it instead of boutique hobbyists. Tesla only replaces the whole MCU because they are lazy about repairs and have turned Service into a profit center - they can easily make it a component swap for just the failed chip part. If you're worried about share prices, they aren't going to fluctuate for long - this is a blip and nothing more. It's not going to be an extremely costly recall, and the long term repercussions will make Tesla start to take "Automotive grade" a little more seriously because this isn't the first time bargain basement poor grade parts choices have cost them more than just picking reliable parts at the beginning. That can only help the company avoid these kinds of problems. More and more these problems are pointing to a systemic series of choices to save money now and spend more later on bad press. The tide will change, and recalls are probably how. Since Tesla creates these problems for itself, it can avoid them by changing the "cheaper crappyer lower quality" policies that keep causing non-Auto grade type problems.

Reactions: davidc18
I have a 2014 P85 with 106,000 miles, my MCU1 failed at the end of June. My car is still able to drive normally(without some creature comforts). They gave me the option to have the MCU1 replaced at no cost or I can upgrade to a MCU2 for $2500. Very reasonable choices in my opinion. The only bad part is I am still waiting for the new MCU to come in:(

My 2015 s85 mcu failed last week with 36100 miles on it. It’s still in the shop in Agoura ca. So far they have no mcu1 replacements available for at least two weeks. I asked about upgrading to the MCU2 but my particular configuration; having to do with the lift gate; doesn’t permit an upgrade. While tesla offered me Uber credit during the wait period I requested a loner as I am reluctant to travel in a closed car with a series of strangers at my age and health condition. So far that has been denied. They quoted me a cost of $1500 when it’s available as it’s now out of warranty. Maybe that will change based on above posts.