Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My TM3 doing a salom run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tip 2:
Vaseline on areas you might get 'cone hickeys' make clean up easier, and often stop scratches or damage to trim items.

If you are not clipping cones now and then, you are leaving meat on the table. :D

I knocked off a rear wheel cooling duct inlet on one of our cars when I barely tagged a cone at 70mph. Didn't even know I clipped it.

• Informative
Reactions: jtpassat
Any tips since this car is heavier than most you see on the autocross circuit and the effects of regenerative braking?

Tip 2:
Vaseline on areas you might get 'cone hickeys' make clean up easier, and often stop scratches or damage to trim items.

If you are not clipping cones now and then, you are leaving meat on the table. :D

I knocked off a rear wheel cooling duct inlet on one of our cars when I barely tagged a cone at 70mph. Didn't even know I clipped it.

Any tips since this car is heavier than most you see on the autocross circuit and the effects of regenerative braking?

Regen is not your friend. It could increase braking distances, and certainly heats up the battery/electronics/motor. Some cars you cannot turn it off. As we see more EV sports cars, I imagine the automakers will realize this.
Weight is not your friend either. But removing weight from a car is against Solo2 Street class rules. If you are not competing, removing weight from a car is 'free performance'. There is no downside to a lighter car. The classic is removing the rear seats, and some cars have versions where the seat is removed to increase performance. Lighter wheels and tires helps but costs. And full on carbon ceramic brakes are a very expensive way to strip weight.

At this point you need to determine whether you like doing it just fun or you want to win. Changing alignment specs, swaybars, shocks, tires and wheels (there are size and treadwear restrictions), can cut times and make the car easier to drive on the track, but... often make it suck to drive on the street. It's why "street" autocross cars show up on trailers, at least the winning ones do.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
I’m definitely on the fun side so this car needs to be street drivable and I wouldn’t consider any upgrades to suspension until my driving skills can actually take advantage. That said, brake upgrades is a no brainer and I’ll do that once there is a “favorite” identified for the 3.

I’m definitely on the fun side so this car needs to be street drivable and I wouldn’t consider any upgrades to suspension until my driving skills can actually take advantage. That said, brake upgrades is a no brainer and I’ll do that once there is a “favorite” identified for the 3.

If you feel like you want might want to run for points (you can trophy without winning), select summer tires with TW 200 minimum, 200 is best. Check the SCCA rulebook or whatever organization you will run with before buying. Tires are the second biggest improvement. The first is seat-time.

Good luck, and Have Fun!!! :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jtpassat and DR61