Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Top Tesla Accessories - What are yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the following:

BlackVue DR650S‑2CH
Abstract Ocean Lighting Upgrade
Abstract Ocean Magnetic Phone Holder
Weather Tech floor mats for 7 seater, cargo area and frunk
Performance Pedal Set
Xpel Stealth Wrap - Opti-coat on top of wrap
Tinted front windows
Norm's awesome Cubby

Reactions: Natalie 1
Guess I'll poke around and see if I can find some always on 12V up there before I buy the battery. Unless you know that too. Thanks!

I had mine professionally installed to a always on power source underneath the driver's dashboard area but OBD port is probably the easiest if you are doing it your self. You can get something like this and combine the wires to the blackvue lines (cut off the alligator clips)

http://amzn.to/2x0bKMe

Tesla owners absolutely do not need the magic box (power magic pro) for blackvue dashcam installs.

Accessories and aftermarket gear that I have, including but not limited to:
Sunshade
Norm's cubby drawer - great drawer and great service, btw
Coat hooks
Window tint, paint protection
Wash gear and supplies, including a 2-gallon commercial manual foamer
Fridge (Engel AC/DC - accept no substitutes). For an X, do consider the 60-quart which includes both fridge and freezer compartments. For an S, the 45-quart is the max that fits, and I'd recommend the marine version at that. On the other end for medicine or quick trips, they do make a nicely compact 17-quart as well.
Espresso maker (12V) and associated accoutrements
DC charging cable for laptop
Storage organizers - specifically 2.5-gallon canvas buckets - 1 for the wash/detail gear and 1 for the road gear (e.g., 12V air compressor, tire plug kit, gloves, tire pressure gauge, collapsible orange cones, small air horn, Leatherman multi-tool, and so forth).
Chademo adapter
Various other adapters and cables
Windshield wiper fluid
Travel pillow
Baseball cap to cut the glare through the pano when the sun is at certain angles. Low tech, but it works.
Trucker's friend. This one's a bit hard to describe.
Yeti tumbler with lid

Happily, all of that stuff fits in the frunk, aft, or in the center console, leaving the seats clear with the exception of any hanging stuff (see coat hooks).

Things I don't yet have but keep meaning to get:
Pano roof shades that actually block light - the Tesla variants were useless.
Norm's lighted door sills
Autosocks - important to size these correctly - example here.
4 hockey pucks for the jack points.

Things I no longer carry:
Inverter (small AC variant).

Things I no longer want to carry, but will:

Chademo adapter and various other adapters and cables
Quite so much windshleld wiper fluid

• Informative
Reactions: Ski_ and BLKMDL3
Tesla owners absolutely do not need the magic box (power magic pro) for blackvue dashcam installs.

Sunshade
Coat hooks
Fridge (Engel AC/DC - accept no substitutes). For an X, do consider the 60-quart which includes both fridge and freezer compartments. For an S, the 45-quart is the max that fits, and I'd recommend the marine version at that. On the other end for medicine or quick trips, they do make a nicely compact 17-quart as well.
Storage organizers - specifically 2.5-gallon canvas buckets - 1 for the wash/detail gear and 1 for the road gear (e.g., 12V air compressor, tire plug kit, gloves, tire pressure gauge, collapsible orange cones, small air horn, Leatherman multi-tool, and so forth).
Chademo adapter
Windshield wiper fluid
Travel pillow
Baseball cap to cut the glare through the pano when the sun is at certain angles. Low tech, but it works.
Yeti tumbler with lid

Happily, all of that stuff fits in the frunk, aft, or in the center console, leaving the seats clear with the exception of any hanging stuff (see coat hooks).

Do you live in your car?

Guess I'll poke around and see if I can find some always on 12V up there before I buy the battery. Unless you know that too. Thanks!
You don't need the power magic box. Just follow the instructions from The Nerdy Engineer for install and wiring to the OBD2 port.
He also has a really great install video for the full install and running the wires.
I didn't run the wires through the conduit on the windshield like him but just used the clips that came with the camera. I might install a conduit later, but so far I'm OK with how the wires look right now.
upload_2017-9-29_9-9-24.png

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Do you live in your car?

LOL. Expressly forbidden by section 5b of the financing paperwork - and I quote, "Vehicle shall not be used as a dwelling."

In the first S, I did have road trips of 7,000 and 11,000 miles along with some shorter milk runs. In the first 5 months of ownership with this car, I have driven from CA (SoCal) to SD (South Dakota) for a rally, from SD to VT, from VT to CA covering 750 miles/day, from CA to BC (British Columbia) and AB (1350 miles in one stretch, which I would not recommend), from AB (Alberta) back to CA, and 36 hours later from CA to ID (Idaho) for the eclipse, and back. That last trip entailed 44 hours of travel over about 2200 miles within 72 hours end to end time. Wouldn't recommend that either, although the eclipse was spectacular. Next up will be some time wandering about AZ and, once I-10 is finally done SC-wise in a few months (presuming Fort Stockton gets off the schneid), back to the Florida Keys I go.

When on the road (versus at destinations), I don't have time to sit in restaurants or wait in lines for crappy fast food; a well-packed fridge lasts for days, and there's something to be said for drinking your own coffee. The CA --> SD --> VT --> CA run was done in 2 weeks including 3 days at the SoDak rally and a funeral in VT. The CA --> ID run was an up and back because who schedules an eclipse for a Monday with the best viewing in the middle of nowhere. Add time for sleep and a shower each morning, and 24 hours goes pretty quick.

While all of the aforementioned items fit in the trunk/hatch and now microfrunk, they still don't meet the basic recommendations for a 3-day earthquake kit that *polite cough* all SoCal drivers are supposed to have in their vehicles (since you don't get to pick where you are when things start shaking). Yep - people do tend to spend a disproportionate amount of time in their vehicles in SoCal, and I'd bet a nickel that 90% of them have no emergency gear whatsoever.

I do miss the full-sized frunk in the first S; it was perfect for craft ale acquisitions along the way and the custom luggage for the microwave was very useful. In fact, if AP2 doesn't improve by year end, I'll probably switch to a CPO AP1 RWD car in part for that full-sized frunk and of course the far better AP1 characteristics overall.

Reactions: Ski_ and Peteybabes
LOL. Expressly forbidden by section 5b of the financing paperwork - and I quote, "Vehicle shall not be used as a dwelling."
While all of the aforementioned items fit in the trunk/hatch and now microfrunk, they still don't meet the basic recommendations for a 3-day earthquake kit that *polite cough* all SoCal drivers are supposed to have in their vehicles (since you don't get to pick where you are when things start shaking). Yep - people do tend to spend a disproportionate amount of time in their vehicles in SoCal, and I'd bet a nickel that 90% of them have no emergency gear whatsoever.
You're list appears to qualify for a (greater than) 3-day earthquake kit and a zombie-apocalypse kit!

Reactions: X-pilot

Sunshade
Coat hooks
Chademo adapter
Windshield wiper fluid
Travel pillow
Yeti tumbler with lid

@TaoJones Wow— What a list! Thank you for this.
Please provide a bit more details (photos if possible?) on your fridge, espresso maker, and DC charging cable for laptop— do you just pull these out as needed and connect them with you 12v (cigarette) power access? I really want to be able to bring my Nespresso maker with me for camping— just not sure about connecting for the power (1260watt, 120v, 60 hz).

Last edited:
@TaoJones Wow— What a list! Thank you for this.
Please provide a bit more details (photos if possible?) on your fridge, espresso maker, and DC charging cable for laptop— do you just pull these out as needed and connect them with you 12v (cigarette) power access? I really want to be able to bring my Nespresso maker with me for camping— just not sure about connecting for the power (1260watt, 120v, 60 hz).

You're welcome.

Funny you should mention the Nespresso. That's how part of this odyssey started - I had a Nespresso and figured I'd just take that with during road trips, presuming that I could find an inverter for it. Well, turns out that due to the surge amperage (initial power draw for the pump), something like a 4KW sine wave inverter was necessary and those at the time weren't much smaller than a small shoebox. Didn't think Tesla would be thrilled with the cabling and placement necessary for that either.

So I found one of these, which works perfectly well from the console 12V and takes 3 minutes to produce a double shot of espresso using my own coffee. I'd recommend getting 2 sets of 3 refillable pods at the same time (for a total of 7, which means you only need to refill them once a week for a double shot per day) - I found the French customer service to be excellent, btw. A small carryable tray/basket will help for the various parts and pieces (cups, distilled water, the aforementioned pods, the unit itself, beans, grinder, and so forth).

If you're in the neighborhood of a West Marine retail location, consider getting the Engel therefrom, since with their added warranty for a couple of years, replacements are a simple matter of swapping the old for a new one in-store. Beats having to send it back to Florida or wherever they are. That said, most people find the Engels to be exceptionally reliable. Mine's been flawless for going upon 3 years now.

Oh, and it's a 40-quart in the marine format, not 45. Anyway, it fits fine aft under the parcel shelf, with acceptable ventilation room all around. Uses *very* little power - less than 1kW/day average is my best estimate. I do have good window tint (Photosync 35), which does make a measurable difference.

About the Engel - you'll want to have a shop or someone who knows what they're doing with regard to Teslas run a line from the fusebox to the passenger floor area with a 12V receptacle for the Engel. The console 12V shuts off 30 minutes after you leave the car, which is a non-starter for 24/7 refrigeration/freezing. Presuming you're getting dashcams (2 sets of Blackvues for 360-degree coverage, for example), you'll need to tap into always-on 12V power anyway. Same principle, but the dedicated, fused cabling is useful - you could even have a spare 12V receptacle (Y-cable) for some other purpose.

I don't remember from where I got the 12V Macbook adapter - but there are probably plenty of choices on Amazon these days.

One thing to keep in mind is that if it won't fit out of sight, it's probably not the best idea to take it with. Which can be a challenge with today's microfrunk versus the full-sized frunk and microwave of yore.

Even so, with the recent spate of Bay Area triangular window breakages, for window tint do keep in mind there's a cement/liquid that is extremely impressive that can be used during installation. See these guys and ask the owner (Bing) or Ryan (master detailer) to send you the related video of when they applied it to their shop's front door and then gave baseball bats to the staff to see if they could get through the glass. If you don't have tint or paint protection yet, there's an opportunity for a road trip to SoCal to have these guys do that. They've done both of my cars and are excellent.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Ski_
You're welcome.

Funny you should mention the Nespresso. That's how part of this odyssey started - I had a Nespresso and figured I'd just take that with during road trips, presuming that I could find an inverter for it. Well, turns out that due to the surge amperage (initial power draw for the pump), something like a 4KW sine wave inverter was necessary and those at the time weren't much smaller than a small shoebox. Didn't think Tesla would be thrilled with the cabling and placement necessary for that either.

So I found one of these, which works perfectly well from the console 12V and takes 3 minutes to produce a double shot of espresso using my own coffee. I'd recommend getting 2 sets of 3 refillable pods at the same time (for a total of 7, which means you only need to refill them once a week for a double shot per day) - I found the French customer service to be excellent, btw. A small carryable tray/basket will help for the various parts and pieces (cups, distilled water, the aforementioned pods, the unit itself, beans, grinder, and so forth).

If you're in the neighborhood of a West Marine retail location, consider getting the Engel therefrom, since with their added warranty for a couple of years, replacements are a simple matter of swapping the old for a new one in-store. Beats having to send it back to Florida or wherever they are. That said, most people find the Engels to be exceptionally reliable. Mine's been flawless for going upon 3 years now.

Oh, and it's a 40-quart in the marine format, not 45. Anyway, it fits fine aft under the parcel shelf, with acceptable ventilation room all around. Uses *very* little power - less than 1kW/day average is my best estimate. I do have good window tint (Photosync 35), which does make a measurable difference.

About the Engel - you'll want to have a shop or someone who knows what they're doing with regard to Teslas run a line from the fusebox to the passenger floor area with a 12V receptacle for the Engel. The console 12V shuts off 30 minutes after you leave the car, which is a non-starter for 24/7 refrigeration/freezing. Presuming you're getting dashcams (2 sets of Blackvues for 360-degree coverage, for example), you'll need to tap into always-on 12V power anyway. Same principle, but the dedicated, fused cabling is useful - you could even have a spare 12V receptacle (Y-cable) for some other purpose.

I don't remember from where I got the 12V Macbook adapter - but there are probably plenty of choices on Amazon these days.

One thing to keep in mind is that if it won't fit out of sight, it's probably not the best idea to take it with. Which can be a challenge with today's microfrunk versus the full-sized frunk and microwave of yore.

Even so, with the recent spate of Bay Area triangular window breakages, for window tint do keep in mind there's a cement/liquid that is extremely impressive that can be used during installation. See these guys and ask the owner (Bing) or Ryan (master detailer) to send you the related video of when they applied it to their shop's front door and then gave baseball bats to the staff to see if they could get through the glass. If you don't have tint or paint protection yet, there's an opportunity for a road trip to SoCal to have these guys do that. They've done both of my cars and are excellent.

Good luck.
Fantastic advice— read it all and just beginning to digest it. I’ll let you know where I land— I’m in for sure with your recommended fridge (and I do have a West Marine near me) and I appreciate the espresso advice. Thank you again @TaoJones !

Last edited:
Reactions: TaoJones
This is what I got so far and my MX delivery date is tomorrow! :)

Topfit Tempered Glass Touch Screen Protector
Abstract Ocean Silicone FobPocket (keyring edition) (Performance Black)
ToughPRO Tesla Model X floor Mats Set and Trunk Mats Set
Topfit Non-Slip Performance Foot Pedal Pads
Norm's Cubby
Abstract Ocean Full set LED lights

Reactions: Peteybabes