Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Towing limit with 20" Induction wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this is covered somewhere - I'm looking at placing an order for a LR MY with tow hitch in the next couple of months (no need for one sooner although the want is high!). I'm trying to decide the 20" wheels vs 19" wheels. I did see in the manual that the 20" wheels reduce the towing limit of the car. I'd like to understand why only the 20" has the lower limit.

I currently don't have anything to tow and I don't really see a camper trailer in our future. I use the hitch mostly for a bike rack and possibly a utility trailer occasionally.

Last edited:
I’ve been asking everyone I can find about this. The best answer so far is that yes:( 2300 is the limit for 20s.

I’m going to buy some 19s and 21s and use the 20s as winter tires. I’ll tow a small RV in the summer with more capable wheels.

Here’s the story from tesla, they updated the manual

Attachments

• 2DE49FBE-AE3A-4A4D-ACE3-B035BDE21E5C.jpeg
    2DE49FBE-AE3A-4A4D-ACE3-B035BDE21E5C.jpeg
    999.4 KB · Views: 381
+1 to the tire load capacity...at least that's what the sales person said when I test drove the Y last week.

I also noticed that in the last week, the Tesla site was changed and when choosing the 20" induction wheels, the load still stays at 3,500 pounds so good to see the updated manual reinforcing that.

When I order mine, I plan to get the 20" wheels.

So you’re saying the tire and not the rim are the issue? Do they make a tire for the 20 that’s has a better load? How do we know it’s not the wheel.
I’m looking at Martian Wheels 20” MW03 Forged which are stronger and have a load ration of 1000kg and very light.
The TSportLine 20” has 900kg but not as strong or as light but look nice.

I’d rather just keep my induction if it’s really the tire but I’m a bit worried if I have 3 people and a good load of gear I’d be over the 2300:(

So you’re saying the tire and not the rim are the issue? Do they make a tire for the 20 that’s has a better load? How do we know it’s not the wheel.
I’m looking at Martian Wheels 20” MW03 Forged which are stronger and have a load ration of 1000kg and very light.
The TSportLine 20” has 900kg but not as strong or as light but look nice.

I’d rather just keep my induction if it’s really the tire but I’m a bit worried if I have 3 people and a good load of gear I’d be over the 2300:(

I wish I knew the load for the induction wheel to compare against these other aftermarkets

From inside the car. Pull up the manual and search for towing. Must get updated with sw updates.
OH

don't have no stinkin' car yet. But hoping Sat is the charm although the VIN is only 36xxx.

Can you verify the tow is actually been installed without pulling off that cover? I've seen a couple posts where people said their receiver was missing. Youngest can't have the outback if the MY hitch is missing.

OH

don't have no stinkin' car yet. But hoping Sat is the charm although the VIN is only 36xxx.

Can you verify the tow is actually been installed without pulling off that cover? I've seen a couple posts where people said their receiver was missing. Youngest can't have the outback if the MY hitch is missing.
Don't worry about the VIN being lower, it doesn't always mean it was built earlier. I got a 36xx VIN and build date is 8/20/2020, while other 36xx VIN build dates are in July. The VIN sequence has a few other factors such as the configuration. Ex, if you ordered with a tow hitch, you may have a low VIN as that configuration wasn't available until much later. This is my opinion based on some research when I freaked out of having a 36xx VIN. Ask your service advisor to find out the build date.

Don't worry about the VIN being lower, it doesn't always mean it was built earlier. I got a 36xx VIN and build date is 8/20/2020, while other 36xx VIN build dates are in July. The VIN sequence has a few other factors such as the configuration. Ex, if you ordered with a tow hitch, you may have a low VIN as that configuration wasn't available until much later. This is my opinion based on some research when I freaked out of having a 36xx VIN. Ask your service advisor to find out the build date.

I actually don't care about the VIN per se. Only to the extent it predicts a bad car. I worry a bit about my ability to find any / all problems. But I guess I'll find out in 2 days. Worried - Yes. Excited - More YEs.

I did order the hitch. The Outback is headed to Denver when the youngest visits around Christmas and I need some way to cart bikes around.