Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My trade-in battery being depleted to 0!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my August 2016 90D about 10 days ago and the car still showing up in my App. Got a scary alert yesterday that my car (new100D parked at the airport with 180 miles of range) was down to 17 miles of charge. Uh oh.
But it turns out the alert was for my trade-in, which the app now tells me is down to 9 miles of range, parked at a Adesa Auto Auctions in Manville, NJ. I wonder why it’s allowed to deplete so much (especially in cold weather). And why it’s been shuffled off to an auction rather than re-sold by Tesla (I traded in to them). Only had 38K miles. H1, but new (non-bubble) body style. Full set of options.

Attachments

• 0199856C-8660-466C-912F-30A45868D070.png
    0199856C-8660-466C-912F-30A45868D070.png
    1 MB · Views: 134
Pretty much confirms why Tesla refers to these cars as “Used”.

I feel sorry for the poor soul who’s going to call this car their own.

I think I’d be irritated a bit if I made the effort to keep the battery in good health while I owned it and then see it neglected so quickly.

Reactions: byeLT4
I’m in a similar situation. I know it may not be “my problem”, but it is discouraging to see cars sitting and not marketed as they should be, and it most certainly is one of Tesla’s problems.

My pristine S85 was traded three weeks ago and has been sitting on an ADESA auction lot 90 miles from here undriven and slowly discharging. There appear to be over 100 used Teslas sitting on the same lot. No sign of the vin showing up as a used Tesla.

Legacy auto dealers know how important it is to recondition these cars, get them on the lot, and move them as quickly as possible. Something apparently Tesla hasn’t learned yet. And it is costing them money every day.

No real damage would come to this battery even if drained to 0% SOC. There's always a few kWh buffer in the battery to keep it from going to absolute 0% SOC. Once it gets low enough, it will disconnect itself from the car and the phantom drain will stop (for the most part). Now it's not great to leave a Li-ion battery at a low state of charge, but it won't be 0%. Of course at that point, the car will need to be pushed or towed to a charging location, which could cause other, collateral damage.

Reactions: gaswalla
Thanks for the information......
Legacy auto dealers know how important it is to recondition these cars, get them on the lot, and move them as quickly as possible. Something apparently Tesla hasn’t learned yet. And it is costing them money every day.

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: