Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY trailer hitch cover really hard to remove & put in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery yesterday of a 2012 MY with a trailer hitch. When looking over the car, I couldn't figure out how to remove the cover so I asked the SA. He had no clue and told me to put a straight edge screwdriver in the side to pry it off. Well, that put 2 nice nicks in the cover. So, he called a service tech over to do it. The tech came with a spluge tool and had a hard time as well. It seems that there are 5 or 6 clips along the top and they are not very forgiving when trying to pop them out. Putting the panel back in was another test of patience since not all the clips like to go back in their slots.
Really kind of a PITA for a simple cover. Anyone else have this issue? What tool do you use to pry off the cover?

Thanks!

I haven't taken the cover off my Y yet, but I just noticed something, with the hitch set in, and having plastic surrounding it, is it a pain to install the break away chains? When they are attached, I hope it doesn't do damage to the bottom part of the bummer plastic.

Reactions: saltsman
I haven't taken the cover off my Y yet, but I just noticed something, with the hitch set in, and having plastic surrounding it, is it a pain to install the break away chains? When they are attached, I hope it doesn't do damage to the bottom part of the bummer plastic.

The hitch was clearly an afterthought ....

Chains will damage the plastic if you are not careful to make sure they are very carefully attached.

I got the Living Tesla tools and think they help, but it's still not easy. I saw in another thread that someone had attached a furniture(?) handle. He claims to just pull it off now. I'm thinking of doing that. Maybe something like a kitchen drawer pull that attaches at two points. Just two small holes. And I'd try to use some backing (maybe just a small straight mending plate) to spread the pull force.

Reactions: gunthermic