TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My UMC died, crashes the car when connected...

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by fiksegts, Feb 9, 2013.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

My UMC has a red light on it when just plugged into the wall, 240v or 120v, when I connect it to the car, the charge port on the car turns red and the car's systems crash, both displays and the car will not turn on.

Only way to get the car running again is to disconnect the UMC, close the charge port, wait a few minutnes. Then press the button on the end of the UMC cable to open the chrage port, but NOT plug it in. Then the car will boot up and run fine.

Called customer care and hopefully monday service can check it out....

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

Did you try the reset button on back of the UMC?

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The only case where I've seen a UMC give a red light so far has been when 120V is applied with opposite polarity -- i.e., hot and neutral were swapped. In that case, it didn't crash the car -- it reported "cannot charge - check wall power". Since 240V doesn't care neutral vs. hot (both legs have potential vs. ground), that sounds like a problem.

I'm assuming you've tried a few different 120V outlets, and have checked your 240V to make sure it's good.

4. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Both my 240 and 120 have been working fine since I got my car, I have tried different 120 outlets, same thing... Red light...

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Sounds like a bad UMC.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

From the "things I should have noticed already" bucket: There's a reset button on the UMC? I wonder if cinergi could have used this rather than unplugging when doing his generator tests.

7. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I have also gotten a red LED on the UMC when I disconnected the ground, while experimenting with a homemade adapter. Didn't notice if the charge port turned red, and it didn't crash the displays.

8. Tommy

Tommy Member

Indeed there is. I called Tesla when my UMC kept defaulting to 120V and I would get a message something to the effect "cord not plugged in". The only way I thought to reset the UMC was to unplug and that got old hence the phone call to Tesla and they said "Did you reset the button on the back". So after I did that smooth sailing. Another example of the need for an owner's manual.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

... or at least a (for purchase) shop manual, if they're trying to save money.

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Tried the reset button on the UMC, tried pressing hit once, holding it down, etc... hope they have these in stock....

11. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Have you tried taking it to a public charging station with your J1772 adapter? Just to confirm it is still able to take a charge? I.e. is it the UMC or the onboard charger?

12. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

not yet, don't want to get stuck at the charging station... :) but the UMC is without question bad with it's red light....

13. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

If they don't look at it this way, it's a good chance to take out one of the other fine cars in your garage. :) Just don't leave the BMW running when you get out of it!

14. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

True, took the GT-R to work today... Tesla is sending someone to my house with a new UMC and to check the car this afternoon...

15. 247redrob

247redrob New Member

It sounds like we have a similar problem. I have had something similar happen now 3 times. The first two times were in my garage and happened right when I unplugged the charger. I couldn't get the car to come on so both times I plugged the charger back in and the car started up after that. The third time it didn't start was after it had been driven and parked. Unfortunately, it was my wife driving the car and Wal-Mart doesn't have charge stations to attempt a reboot. I'm running 4.2 and I didn't notice any of these glitches until after the update. This might postpone my deposit on a Model X for the wife a bit :wink:

16. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

Tesla came out to the house and replaced my UMC, all good now....