Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My understanding of the FSD option pricing structure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I am wrong.. but FSD can be purchased at point-of-sale for 10k which ties it to the car and is not transferrable, meaning the car has some increased value. I would love to understand the insurance implications there if the car is totaled.

Alternatively, FSD can be an add-on later for the same 10k, but this time it is tied to the owner + car combination. Meaning if you sell the car, the new owner does not get the FSD, and if you buy a new car, you would need to buy FSD again. The value is lost. Given that it is inevitable you will sell the car and buy a new one, this seems like a horrible option. The $200 sub is pretty easy to understand. At 10k you would break even at 50 months of the $200 sub. The value added to the car and transferability is the same: none.

Is this correct? Seems like pretty shitty options.

No, if you buy FSD later at $10k, its still tied to the car. It doesn't matter whether its at point of sale or later.
If the car is traded in to Tesla for resale, Tesla can remove FSD before selling the car, whether you ordered it up front or later. I don't know how often they actually do that.

The decision to buy when ordering the car vs. later might also be influenced by sales tax laws where you live and whether or not you're financing.

Note that FSD is less expensive for people who already have EAP, I think around $5,000, but I'm not sure of the current price.