Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Unicorn came along - Pulled the trigger on used P85D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed the order around 7pm EDT on Thursday (4/18). I got a congratulations call about 15 minutes later from the used sales advisor that I had earlier emailed asking for the Carfax and a few details about the car. Then later around 9:15pm I got a call from someone else congratulating me and asking if I had any questions, and encouraging me to complete the details on my online account (driver’s license, proof of insurance, etc). I asked if he would be my delivery advisor and he sort of hesitated and said “yeah, but I’ll be passing your case along to someone else”. I sorted out delivery location on this phone call; I’m not going to have it shipped to me but will be flying out to pick it up and drive it back. Apparently you have to be a MA resident to take delivery in MA, so they said they’ll be shipping it to Paramus, NJ for free. Works for me because it shaves a couple of hours off my drive home to western NC.

I haven’t heard anything from Tesla since Thursday night. I completed all my required uploads on Friday. So far, I’m not too bothered by the lack of contact. Like I mentioned, I didn’t actually need the car until October, so it’s financially advantageous to wait longer to take delivery. On the flip side, I’m really excited about the car and want to drive it already. But after reading this forum my expectations about communication from Tesla are extremely low, so I guess they can only pleasantly surprise me or reinforce those expectations.

Ordering experience seems to vary based on car location, pickup location, and some other factors. In my case, I ordered online on 3/25 (car in Baltimore / SC in Baltimore), car was delivered to SC on 4/2 and I picked up on 4/5.

Communication was okay but not great through the process especially the first few days. Once the delivery advisor got involved, things were better.

What's the website charge you? Just $2500? What do fees & transport look like?
Yep, “just” $2500. It was actually a little too easy to pay the deposit. Took mere seconds. Haven’t been informed of what the other fees are yet, due to radio silence from Tesla ever since the night of purchase. I’m flying out and driving it back ($49 flights to Newark from Asheville!) so at least I’m saving that $2000 that I was otherwise counting on spending to get the car shipped to me.

Nice but plz change that benz avatar it's making me sick :D
Okay, fine. Done. Using a crappy Manheim picture for now until I actually get my car.

Although I do really like my Electric Benz (except for cripplingly short range). MB contracted Tesla to make the drivetrain and battery, after all. I dare say the interior is nicer than a Tesla, except for the media screen. For several years now, in order to see the only legit Tesla hardware I own, I've had to dig under the hood of my Mercedes (notice I said hood and not frunk, because it's purely an ICE swap-out-job), and gaze longingly at the Tesla logos deep underneath the Benz complications.

Congrats on your deal. Before I purchased mine was always leary of buying CPO in MA due to tax and such. Good to know they'll ship to NJ for free and you can pick up there...btw NJ does not charge sales tax on EVs.

Love Asheville, how's the charging infrastructure down there? Need to hit the Biltmore again.
Dzm

One upside is that I've got a whole family full of EV-skeptic motorheads with muscle cars. Maybe some exposure to my P85D+ will open their minds.

Let them drive it, don't talk up the performance, just say it's good enough for a "family sedan" and you didn't want to spend the extra to get the really fast P100D. Make sure you take them to a good place to experience the 20-80 mph performance.

Then they will need to recalibrate the spelling of "muscle car" to "mussel car". You might point out that mussels are very slow!

Reactions: BrokerDon
Got the call today that my car is ready for delivery in Paramus. I’m a little shocked that it took less than two weeks when I was counting on several more weeks of silence and no communication or response as per the usual postings here. My delivery advisor, David Li, said that Paramus would be able to hold it for a week; I’m not able to change my work schedule and I’m working straight through 5/6.

Direct flight from Asheville to Newark is $50 versus $2000 shipping fee... yeah, I’ll be driving her home to NC. Of course I’m excited, but also have a sense of dread after all the horror stories I’ve seen here. Will update...

Reactions: P85_DA
Whew! The car was flawless! No cosmetic surprises whatsoever. It was actually cleaned for me, in contrast to so many other deliveries I’ve read about here. A great experience all around.

The delivery was smooth. I was assisted immediately and felt completely unhurried. I brought out my 37-point checklist from this forum and they were totally patient with me and even helped me with a few items. The checklist went quickly because everything was perfect. I paid in full with a personal check and couldn’t think of any more questions, so I hit the road for a 700+ mile road trip home. I’ve never had so much fun on a solo road trip.

I did run into a hitch on the way back. After a Supercharging session, I returned to my car and noticed that the rear passenger door handle was stuck out when all the others were closed. I had tested out all the door handles on my checklist, and have photographic proof that the handle had closed at some point (see second pic), but now it’s totally jammed open and I can’t open the door from the outside (a problem for getting my kids out of their car seats). I entered a service request as soon as I got home, and my temporary workaround is to roll that window down when I park so I can reach inside and still open the door. I was counting on having a service appointment soon after delivery, but I thought I had escaped it at first!

Anyway, overall a great experience, especially compared to the major drama I was expecting. I’m so excited to get to know my car!

5222AA37-91DA-46D4-95E9-92E7A76DB834.jpeg
0B640EF6-CF8F-4029-881C-518E75781EAA.jpeg
C8E1FF7E-711F-4863-AAFD-E8D70CB7821A.jpeg