Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My used 2013 P85 came with unlimited supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2013 p85 tesla a little over a month ago. I put about 3k miles on it so far. I love driving it so much i just drive it around the block sometimes even when i have no reason to go outside. I was thinking though, i got really lucky with unlimited supercharging because the dealership did not know if it had it. Honestly, currently in my life that would be the game time decision between going the Tesla Route or having to pay for supercharging. I love it!

@Sanderpman12, We know. We know what you mean.

Several years ago while reading on the Tesla forum, I ran across this post by a user Velo1. I bookmarked it, because - you now understand with the rest of us what he means. Let me share it with you.

"
Velo1
April 2013 edited November -1

My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!
"

• Love
Reactions: Sanderpman12
@Sanderpman12, We know. We know what you mean.

Several years ago while reading on the Tesla forum, I ran across this post by a user Velo1. I bookmarked it, because - you now understand with the rest of us what he means. Let me share it with you.

"
Velo1
April 2013 edited November -1

My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!
"
This is exacty what i mean and feel like! I honestly can live in the car forever. There is so much space. I feel like forrest gump of driving tesla, i can drive forever and just get lost in it all.

Reactions: Akikiki
I am considering purchasing a 2013 Model S P85+ that comes with free supercharging. Does anyone know if this model can accept V2 or V3 supercharging?
When you ask, "accept", do you mean can I plug it in and it will charge? If so, yes, you can.. Car will throttle down to is possible charging speed, even on fastest Supercharger. But its batter will not charge at V3 speed. If its the original battery (it may not be the original battery that came in it), it might charge V2 speed. There;s a slim chance that you can tell what battery is in it. Being the right side front wheel, most 13+ cars have a white tag that show Battery is "A" or "B". We don't know the count, bet it was common for 12-13 batteries to run into problems and were replaced free under warranty. So, the '13 you are looking at might have had the battery replaced with newer, even well have 2014 or 2015. Just don't know. And there's no guarantee or expectation that the tag is there/was there.

My two '13's had the white tag. One of my '13's a P85 had the battery replaced in Oct '16 with an upgraded battery. It was still an 85, even though cars were getting 90's.

On a few occasions, Tesla has been known, (no promise or guarantee that your service center will do it) printed or emailed service records to a new owner. Many have reported here that before they bought a used Tesla they tried to get the records and Tesla declined. Not policy to provide. But after they owned it, a few said, they got them. From those records, you might be able to tell if the battery had been changed and when. Again, no promise or guarantee.

If you can get it to a Supercharger and see what 80 or 90% charge is, you can guessimate what total charge would be. You know, we very seldom charge to 100%. But knowing what you get at 80 or 90% will give you a warm and fuzzy if the car is in good battery condition. These days with gas going up & up, buying a used Tesla is a good idea.

P85+ generally had staggered wheels (wider on rear) and you could not rotate but back to back/front to front. And they were 21". People went through tires quickly with 21". These days, if it was a car I was considering, I would be willing to look for 19" to put on it and spend less going through tires. And they heck with 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. Just my two cents. Likely easy to find a good set of 19" too.

I've got a 2014 MS that also has unlimited supercharging - FWIW, everything before 2016 SHOULD have unlimited supercharging, b/c that 2013 was made 3+ years before it was taken away by the Muskitos.

On a road trip a few days ago, I've seen charging rates as high as 120kW with a very warmed up battery starting from as low as 10% (but usually around 20% / 50 miles or so) and whether the car is capable of more than that, I don't know... And I don't CARE! The faster you stuff the power into the battery, the more you risk reduction of lifespan. Mine has a brand-new battery from about 5 weeks ago, and I want it to last as long as possible. I plan to drive the stuffing out of it, as this will be my road trip vehicle, so there's a good chance that most of the charging will be via superchargers anyway - and I'm glad that they will communicate with the battery management systems to protect the lifespan.

I've got a 2014 MS that also has unlimited supercharging - FWIW, everything before 2016 SHOULD have unlimited supercharging, b/c that 2013 was made 3+ years before it was taken away by the Muskitos.

On a road trip a few days ago, I've seen charging rates as high as 120kW with a very warmed up battery starting from as low as 10% (but usually around 20% / 50 miles or so) and whether the car is capable of more than that, I don't know... And I don't CARE! The faster you stuff the power into the battery, the more you risk reduction of lifespan. Mine has a brand-new battery from about 5 weeks ago, and I want it to last as long as possible. I plan to drive the stuffing out of it, as this will be my road trip vehicle, so there's a good chance that most of the charging will be via superchargers anyway - and I'm glad that they will communicate with the battery management systems to protect the lifespan.
April 2017 was when FUSC was no longer an option when we bought a new Tesla. After that, some used Teslas' sold by Tesla also had FUSC removed. But people buying those that where it had been removed, could see it was no longer with the car when they were shopping via its Used cars on Tesla.com

But that's the thing - My sister just bought a 2013 that did NOT come through Teslas' used program, and it shows as "pay per use" which seems like a mistake. Haven't had an opportunity yet to bring it up with an actual human at a service center, b/c the word from Musk himself was that the older cars kept it and it was for the life of the car not the owner.

even older cars lost free supercharging if they were sold via a dealer at some point - it's been that way since the beginning. Not saying it makes sense or that it's fair or even right...
That's accurate statement. Car that old, might have also be traded-in to a third party/non Tesla auto dealer. If Tesla found out a car dealer other than Tesla owned it, they were removing Supercharging. There's a number of ways that cars sold originally with SC lost SC.