Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Used 2017 90D and CPO Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is finding new ways to try to screw customers over that make even traditional dealerships blush.

You haven't been to a BMW dealer lately then...

It sounds like the fair response is to say your experience may vary. Yours wasn't good, mine was good. I had the CPO list up top, which I based on an earlier one on this forum and I told them I wouldn't be paying if I found any issues. I didn't, apart from the yellowing screen edges (no surprise there) and the gash to the leather on the passenger seat. When we got our BMW wagon in 2009, I pointed out that there was a dent in the logo right in the middle of the steering wheel. Tough luck was the response. I've been looking at that thing ever since. Otherwise, it's been a good car, although getting more expensive these days. I'm expecting significantly less cost from the Teslas.

@catbuscuits

I'm really interested in your experience with MCU1. I'm in a very similar situation to you right now, though I haven't pulled the trigger on a car just yet. I keep going back and forth on whether paying the extra $10k or so to get a 2018 is worth it. I don't care about the games and streaming, but how laggy is it for nav and using the car while driving?

Thanks!

That's a whole separate thread. The first one had a grocery list of problems and we were blatantly lied to our face by being assured these problems would be resolved. Lesson learned, get EVERYTHING in writing. I mean everything. Tesla will snake you down the road if you don't, believe me that it's happened numerous times to us now. The following ones had issues as well but I got them to agree to fixes in writing before we ever signed anything. They'll push to try to get you to completely paperwork before even being able to see it for this very reason. Demand to see it first and examine carefully the damage revealed in the photos to make sure it matches. If it's worse, get them to fix it in writing. If there's additional damage not pictured get them to fix it in writing. If it's too much for you to take delivery simply walk away from the deal and demand a refund of your deposit due to the vehicle not matching the condition presented which you put down the deposit for. They'll try to make it seem like this isn't possible and the best they can do is make an exception to transfer this deposit to another car which is BS. They'll try all sorts of crooked tactics to keep your money and make you think it's your fault when it's not. Tesla is dirty. Plain an simple. Changing the face of the car industry my @$$. Tesla is finding new ways to try to screw customers over that make even traditional dealerships blush.

tldr; get everything in writing and get it before signing anything.
Thanks for this post,
I'm a little worried now. I ordered the car on Jan. 27th, and I have not been updated via email with the exeption of where it is, Orlando Florida in storage. I checked my app. and nothing. It says no products linked to my account? What?

Tesla Model S CPO Checklist

Bring insurance cards and Velcro for EZ Pass, don’t forget the EZ Pass like I did. Wear clothes suitable for getting on the ground. Bring tire gauge and pressure gauge.

On Delivery

☐ 1. Check for two key fobs, also check condition

☐ 2. Request service history, CPO checklist and alignment specs

☐ 3. Ask for due bill form

Walkaround

Thanks, If you don't mind my printing and taking with me? Feeling a little abandoned in this buying process. I was contacted for 48 hours continuously, after they received all my info. total radio silence.

☐ 4. Check alignment of all doors and hood

☐ 5. Check tire pressure, compare to sticker inside door

☐ 6. Lowest tread should be greater than 2mm

☐ 7. Wheel center caps present

☐ 8. Check for matching lug nuts

☐ 9. Front license plate holder condition

☐ 10. All tires match and clear of issues

☐ 11. Check for even wear on tires

☐ 12. No rim issues beyond what was in photos

☐ 13. No/minimal windscreen glass pitting

☐ 14. Windshield distortion or cracks (especially near passenger side halfway up)

☐ 15. Check wiper blade condition

☐ 16. Check jack points and battery pack for damage

☐ 17. Check lights and cameras for condensation, look for any cracks, esp in rear

☐ 18. Look for paint/panel issues beyond what was in photos

☐ 19. Check paint under bumpers

☐ 20. Check all door handles function, including tailgate and frunk

☐ 21. Check carpet condition in frunk and rear mat

☐ 22. Parcel shelf present

☐ 23. Check carpet condition in lower trunk

☐ 24. Charging kit with all adapters (including j1722, NEMA 5-15, NEMA14-50)

☐ 25. Tow hook

☐ 26. Check charging port door opens

☐ 27. Pull rear edge of maintenance panel upward to release the five clips at top, check for damage

☐ 28. Brake fluid level

☐ 29. Windshield washer fluid level

☐ 30. Coolant level

☐ 31. Any cracks under rear diffuser (chrome piece under bumper)

Interior

☐ 32. Immediately do an odor test

☐ 33. Any rumbling from AC when car is turned on?

☐ 34. Check front and rear floor mats

☐ 35. Check carpet condition

☐ 36. Look under front and rear mats, run hand over carpet under mats for wet spots

☐ 37. Make sure both front seat controls function

☐ 38. Check rear seats fold up and down

☐ 39. Check manual present in glove compartment

☐ 40. Check windows work

☐ 41. Check windshield sprayer and that wipers work

☐ 42. Check screen for yellowing or other defects

☐ 43. Make sure VIN matches paperwork (5YJSA1E20HF191227)

☐ 44. Make sure miles match order (30601)

☐ 45. Make sure previous user settings/details wiped

☐ 46. Is it the most recent software?

☐ 47. Check range on battery in % and miles

☐ 48. Check LTE connection

☐ 49. Connect phone to check Bluetooth

☐ 50. Bring phone cable and USB adapter. Check USB connection and power at all ports.

☐ 51. Make sure Autopilot/FSD enabled

☐ 52. Check all speakers work, play music, for example first track of Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack.

Any crackles, rattles, or other sound issues?

☐ 53. Check radio function

☐ 54. Check for SiriusXM

☐ 55. Run the HVAC, hot then cold

☐ 56. Make sure sunroof opens/closes

☐ 57. Check air suspension

☐ 58. Check power lift gate function

☐ 59. Check frunk function

☐ 60. Check mirrors work and fold in

☐ 61. Check all interior doors, center console, etc.

☐ 62. Any interior trim loose

☐ 63. Check headliner

☐ 64. Seat belts functional and locking

☐ 65. Check visors

☐ 66. Check to see if steering wheel controls function

☐ 67. Make sure all seat heaters work

☐ 68. Make sure lights work (low beams, high beams, fogs, left, right, hazard, brake)

☐ 69. Check interior lights

Take photos, notes and request due bill in writing for any damage noted, ask for a ranger to come perform any repairs

Set up EZ Pass, add your driver profile. Set up the mirrors and phone for drive home.

@catbuscuits

I'm really interested in your experience with MCU1. I'm in a very similar situation to you right now, though I haven't pulled the trigger on a car just yet. I keep going back and forth on whether paying the extra $10k or so to get a 2018 is worth it. I don't care about the games and streaming, but how laggy is it for nav and using the car while driving?

Thanks!
You really should do some research on the used car purchase experience from Tesla. There's TONS of threads from many others who have hiked that hike previously with boat loads of info and details to better set your expectations. The one I will give you on the front end is to expect to not take delivery until a full month after you plunk down your deposit. Some have it happen sooner and some have it take even longer but setting your expectations for a full month from deposit will help to temper your expectations and set you up for success. Most expect to take delivery within a few days or a week and are set up for disappointment based on how slow Tesla is to process these.

Reactions: Ucme
You really should do some research on the used car purchase experience from Tesla. There's TONS of threads from many others who have hiked that hike previously with boat loads of info and details to better set your expectations. The one I will give you on the front end is to expect to not take delivery until a full month after you plunk down your deposit. Some have it happen sooner and some have it take even longer but setting your expectations for a full month from deposit will help to temper your expectations and set you up for success. Most expect to take delivery within a few days or a week and are set up for disappointment based on how slow Tesla is to process these.

I absolutely agree and this forum has been a great place to mine for that knowledge. I've read some of the horror stories that get posted about buying used (and new!) from Tesla, but since they're still in business I have to think that those are the exception rather than the rule. Waiting a month (or longer) is doable, but hopefully I won't run into anything close to some of the other that have had to chase their car all over the country or refuse delivery on something that was obviously not what was advertised. To make this journey even more fun, I live in Michigan, which is a "no-Tesla zone" according to our state government (Tesla just last week settled a lawsuit that will allow them to at least build service centers in the state. Before then, it was either mobile service or a tow to Ohio. Which I guess it still is, at least until a service center actually opens. Even new Teslas still have to be titled in another state before they can be registered here. Yikes...)

BTW: Thanks for your reply in my other thread. I appreciate your feedback on the MCU1 vs MCU2 debate for me. :)

So the service center you picked the car up gave you a due bill?

I was talking to someone i know who is an employee at a tesla store/gallery and they said that no due bill form exists at her store where my car is going to be delivered......

Last edited:
I absolutely agree and this forum has been a great place to mine for that knowledge. I've read some of the horror stories that get posted about buying used (and new!) from Tesla, but since they're still in business I have to think that those are the exception rather than the rule. Waiting a month (or longer) is doable, but hopefully I won't run into anything close to some of the other that have had to chase their car all over the country or refuse delivery on something that was obviously not what was advertised. To make this journey even more fun, I live in Michigan, which is a "no-Tesla zone" according to our state government (Tesla just last week settled a lawsuit that will allow them to at least build service centers in the state. Before then, it was either mobile service or a tow to Ohio. Which I guess it still is, at least until a service center actually opens. Even new Teslas still have to be titled in another state before they can be registered here. Yikes...)

BTW: Thanks for your reply in my other thread. I appreciate your feedback on the MCU1 vs MCU2 debate for me. :)
Actually, that horror story you read about buying a used Tesla isn't the exception but rather the rule. With other established companies you can assume that the few horror stories are outliers and you'd be right. With Tesla it's so disorganized that they really have no clue what's happening on the used side. Worse yet, once you take delivery pray to whatever deity you pray to that you never have an issue because as bad as they are with trying to take your money for a used car trying to get them to do free work is substantially worse.

So the service center you picked the car up gave you a due bill?

I was talking to someone i know who is an employee at a tesla store/gallery and she said that no due bill form exists at her store where my car is going to be delivered......
This was their exact words: "No due bill form exists, the car will tell you the tire pressure so you won't need a gauge, if there's cracks in anything the car won't be delivered." ... "So due bill means you take the car - we'll fix something later in your ownership no charge, and we can't do that with any car especially used so if there's something that needs rectification we'd have to just move your delivery back post correction."

Actually, that horror story you read about buying a used Tesla isn't the exception but rather the rule. With other established companies you can assume that the few horror stories are outliers and you'd be right. With Tesla it's so disorganized that they really have no clue what's happening on the used side. Worse yet, once you take delivery pray to whatever deity you pray to that you never have an issue because as bad as they are with trying to take your money for a used car trying to get them to do free work is substantially worse.

So the cars themselves are that good then?

So the cars themselves are that good then?
Yes. Everything positive you've heard about the cars themselves is accurate & possibly understated. For me, it's the only reason I've been willing to endure the complete & utter lack of customer support. If it was as simple as going from one ICE to another & the minor differences between them I would have been long gone by now. The simple fact is nothing in the EV realm is even remotely close... Yet.

Tesla Model S CPO Checklist

Bring insurance cards and Velcro for EZ Pass, don’t forget the EZ Pass like I did. Wear clothes suitable for getting on the ground. Bring tire gauge and pressure gauge.

On Delivery

☐ 1. Check for two key fobs, also check condition

☐ 2. Request service history, CPO checklist and alignment specs

☐ 3. Ask for due bill form

Walkaround

☐ 4. Check alignment of all doors and hood

☐ 5. Check tire pressure, compare to sticker inside door

☐ 6. Lowest tread should be greater than 2mm

☐ 7. Wheel center caps present

☐ 8. Check for matching lug nuts

☐ 9. Front license plate holder condition

☐ 10. All tires match and clear of issues

☐ 11. Check for even wear on tires

☐ 12. No rim issues beyond what was in photos

☐ 13. No/minimal windscreen glass pitting

☐ 14. Windshield distortion or cracks (especially near passenger side halfway up)

☐ 15. Check wiper blade condition

☐ 16. Check jack points and battery pack for damage

☐ 17. Check lights and cameras for condensation, look for any cracks, esp in rear

☐ 18. Look for paint/panel issues beyond what was in photos

☐ 19. Check paint under bumpers

☐ 20. Check all door handles function, including tailgate and frunk

☐ 21. Check carpet condition in frunk and rear mat

☐ 22. Parcel shelf present

☐ 23. Check carpet condition in lower trunk

☐ 24. Charging kit with all adapters (including j1722, NEMA 5-15, NEMA14-50)

☐ 25. Tow hook

☐ 26. Check charging port door opens

☐ 27. Pull rear edge of maintenance panel upward to release the five clips at top, check for damage

☐ 28. Brake fluid level

☐ 29. Windshield washer fluid level

☐ 30. Coolant level

☐ 31. Any cracks under rear diffuser (chrome piece under bumper)

Interior

☐ 32. Immediately do an odor test

☐ 33. Any rumbling from AC when car is turned on?

☐ 34. Check front and rear floor mats

☐ 35. Check carpet condition

☐ 36. Look under front and rear mats, run hand over carpet under mats for wet spots

☐ 37. Make sure both front seat controls function

☐ 38. Check rear seats fold up and down

☐ 39. Check manual present in glove compartment

☐ 40. Check windows work

☐ 41. Check windshield sprayer and that wipers work

☐ 42. Check screen for yellowing or other defects

☐ 43. Make sure VIN matches paperwork (5YJSA1E20HF191227)

☐ 44. Make sure miles match order (30601)

☐ 45. Make sure previous user settings/details wiped

☐ 46. Is it the most recent software?

☐ 47. Check range on battery in % and miles

☐ 48. Check LTE connection

☐ 49. Connect phone to check Bluetooth

☐ 50. Bring phone cable and USB adapter. Check USB connection and power at all ports.

☐ 51. Make sure Autopilot/FSD enabled

☐ 52. Check all speakers work, play music, for example first track of Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack.

Any crackles, rattles, or other sound issues?

☐ 53. Check radio function

☐ 54. Check for SiriusXM

☐ 55. Run the HVAC, hot then cold

☐ 56. Make sure sunroof opens/closes

☐ 57. Check air suspension

☐ 58. Check power lift gate function

☐ 59. Check frunk function

☐ 60. Check mirrors work and fold in

☐ 61. Check all interior doors, center console, etc.

☐ 62. Any interior trim loose

☐ 63. Check headliner

☐ 64. Seat belts functional and locking

☐ 65. Check visors

☐ 66. Check to see if steering wheel controls function

☐ 67. Make sure all seat heaters work

☐ 68. Make sure lights work (low beams, high beams, fogs, left, right, hazard, brake)

☐ 69. Check interior lights

Take photos, notes and request due bill in writing for any damage noted, ask for a ranger to come perform any repairs

Set up EZ Pass, add your driver profile. Set up the mirrors and phone for drive home.
Now that is an inspection.. lol