Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Used X Buying Journey...from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my 2013 p85+ and wanted to upgrade to a MX. I knew what combination I really wanted, colors, options etc...it was just a matter of waiting until something popped up on their site.

2/4 Sold P85+

2/26--FINALLY! Found the car I wanted...pulled the trigger paid the $100 order fee.
2/27--Generic Congratulations e-mail
2/28--David, my "Used Vehicle Advisor" calls me and explains process to me
3/4--Notice that an MVPA has populated in my Tesla.com account
3/4--I take the initiative to download, print, sign and execute it--sending them a copy and my credit union a copy
3/6--David calls to let me know there will be a $2k delivery fee (as expected.)
3/7-I get an email from Danielle another used vehicle advisor who lets me know they have an ETA for when the car will be delivered they tell me 3/11 with pickup scheduled for 3/14
3/7 I call my insurance company and ask them to add vehicle to policy effective 3/14
3/9 Danielle calls me and tells me "surprise" your car has arrived early and we want to deliver it to you on 3/11, all we need from you is an active insurance policy...so I call and have my insurance company change the date to 3/11and send Danielle the insurance binder and upload it. She calls me to tell me that a binder won't do, I need to have the actual ID card, I try and haggle with her a bit on this but she won't budge--tells me that binders are not actual insurance and its agains the law to release the car etc..
3/10 I talk to my insurance company who explains that I won't receive an ID card until it ships in the mail, I go back and forth with them a bit and they tell me if I drive over in person and make the premium payment, they will expedite the ID card and have a digital one ready for me on 3/11 in the AM. So I do that.
3/11 Get the insurance ID card..attempt to reach the local delivery team and keep getting routed to people who tell me they can't help but will forward me to someone who can. I try for 30min eventually give up and try again later in the day. 4:00pm on 3/11 I get a call from Tommy who says he is the operations manager--he tells me they cannot accept the insurance binder--I explain to him, yes yes I understand, I went ahead and got the ID card. He says something like "ohhhh uhm ok, well your car still hasn't gone through out detailed 170 point inspection, nor the 4 hour detail so it won't be ready until tomorrow." OK no biggie

3/12 I call around 11am to find out whats going on and talk to someone named Luke who tells me the car is in inspection but won't be ready today he will call me with an update at 6pm. 6pm comes and he does indeed call to tell me they found some minor issues with the charging port door and also a service bulletin that hadn't been fixed. But says they are going to work on those tonight and the car will go in for detail tomorrow morning and I can pick it up at 2:00pm tomorrow

3/13 Show up at 2:00 and am told my delivery advisor will be with me soon. 2:20 comes around and a kid comes by and says he is our advisor and walks my wife and I over to the car outside. Beautiful looks good, I walk around it and notice the two items that were documented in the pictures as being cosmetic issues, a minor dent on the hood and a significant scratch on the wing..but as I am looking more closely I notice two items that were not documented with the photos. One of the rear plastic fender trim pieces is sticking out and falling off. And also on the passenger side there is some crazy scratching on the door jam. I then get inside and notice the interior is filthy, like literally crumbs on both seats and all inside the center console. I pull my delivery advisor aside and I say hey I knew about the two items but can you have someone look at these two things because they were not on the photos. He literally responds with "No. can't have anyone look at it, it's take it or leave it if you have an issue." I said, excuse me but I am sure someone can spare 5 min to at least look at this trim piece because I mean it shouldn't be sticking off like this. He replies: "No, there is nobody everyone is busy and I am sure if you don't want it someone else will." Wow I say. I tell him I am going to need a minute and he walks away. I walk back inside with my wife and she's like "WTF is going on, why does the kid have an attitude?" I'm like i have no idea...I sit down inside and collect my thoughts---few minutes later Luke who I had previously spoke with on the phone comes over, introduces himself and explains to me that Tesla has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for used vehicles and tells me there is nothing he can he, he can't even cancel the order that I need to call my initial delivery advisor David. I ask him if he knows how refunds work because I already paid in full for the car and the other delivery kid who was standing next to him now answers and says "Don't worry dude you'll get your money back it just might take a couple months." I leave in complete shock and attempt to reach David.

3 hours later I get a call from David who asks me "what happened?" I explain to him what went down and he was of course very apologetic. He tells me we are nearing the end of the quarter and they are trying to move everything so fast they aren't doing any repairs on any cosmetic items even if they would otherwise be warrantied. He says he's going to call the "quality department" and ask them if they will commit to fixing those two items if I take delivery. He calls me back an hour and a half later and says "Hey sorry but they won't fix either of those items, I am cancelling your order."

So like far too many others--hugely disappointed. I realllllllly want another Tesla but at this point I am so insulted by this experience that I don't know how I can go back. Hopefully the sting wears off in a couple days and I can go back to the looking for another one. Oh, and I am out the $100 order fee--go figure.

Attached: Pictures of the two items they told me were "consistent with a vehicle of this age and mileage"
Imgur

Reactions: DanCar
The paint scratching is something they won't fix - we've had worse on our X near the rear wing. The plastic trim is negotiable especially if its broken/damaged. When we picked up our car it actually still had the previous owner's registration card and insurance information in our glove box as well as all previous destinations still listed in maps history (!!!). Out of curiosity we looked up the previous owner (nice 10m+ socal house) but was appalled at the lack of detail.

I think you did the right thing to walk away, wait for the right car in the right condition and hopefully a better SA, sorry you had to deal with this. On the plus side, the X's are depreciating monthly so you'll continue to get a discount the longer you hold off

You did the right thing my walking away. I think delivery depends on the service center and the time.

in Nashville,TN they did a pretty good job of cleaning waxing and installing new floor mats(masts were missing in pictures) and also probably installed new tires.

this was in January and they were not in a mad rush for end of quarter. So I’m guessing The service center and the time of purchase dictates the delivery quality

I am sure you will find something better for less expensive in a month or two.

thanks
Vamshi

Reactions: StoXto3toY
We are searching as well for an X to add to our family. We purchased a new M3 last Spring. Delivery was quick and painless. Much better than expected. This exact scenario is what I am dreading. I don't want to sour my experience with the brand. Cybertruck purchase also planned. I"m loyal to a point, then I'm done (still looking for great service center). So, hope your sting fades and it works out in the next run. The 'kid' didn't help your situation either. Might try beginning-middle of quarter myself but think it's a roll of the dice.

We are searching as well for an X to add to our family. We purchased a new M3 last Spring. Delivery was quick and painless. Much better than expected. This exact scenario is what I am dreading. I don't want to sour my experience with the brand. Cybertruck purchase also planned. I"m loyal to a point, then I'm done (still looking for great service center). So, hope your sting fades and it works out in the next run. The 'kid' didn't help your situation either. Might try beginning-middle of quarter myself but think it's a roll of the dice.

UPDATE:

Looks like they just made this even more difficult.

1. Found another one I liked..sent a message to a used delivery advisor about what looked like a crack in the window...few hours later she said: "This car was listed improperly we will be pulling it offline as this repair was not done and it will take awhile to complete."

2. As of this AM looks like they have taken down all ACTUAL photos of used vehicles from the site.

I feel your pain here, I was certainly on the fence about walking away from my X as well. I can also attest to them not cleaning the inside thoroughly, but it was something that I knocked out in about an hour at home. They took care of all of my concerns except one. It looks like a pet may have slightly gouged the interior door panel where the white is prominent. This little spot is an eyesore in a car where the white stands out. I went to find a replacement, but they could only sell me an entirely new door panel ($1K).

Still very much happy with my X, feel like a million bucks every time I get in it.

Your journey certainly worries me. I just put in an order for a used X 2 days ago. Not really happy with used card advisor so far. Sends me template emails but don't respond to any emails or texts. I should start my own chain of events like you, I feel something coming.

I have had similar bad experiences with Tesla but can also vouch for them in the long run. I'm a long-time Tesla driver, so I know what the cars are all about, that probably makes it easier for me.

We picked up an X in SoCal last month, drove it home to Phoenix, AZ (Tempe). We had issues with it.
1. Tow receiver wasn't removable (no key)
2. Tow receiver cover plate was absent
3. J1772 adapter was missing
4. AP camera fell out of calibration about 10 miles into our first drive
5. CA HOV stickers still on it
6. Dents and dings
7. FWD top seals all gummy and destroyed (sun damage in SoCal, I'm guessing)
8. Plastic trims seemed loose (similar to your picture, but I didn't pull on the piece to demonstrate)

We didn't make an issue out of things at pickup, I mean of course little dings weren't disclosed but I am not driving the next few years and tens of thousands of miles hoping my car never has so much as a ding or scratch, unless it is blaring, I don't really consider it an issue, this is a used car so I expect it to look as such. I think anyone buying one of these and going to pickup looking for dings/scratches is going to end up feeling sad...

I just pushed the plastic trim pieces back into place and they held fine so I left that be.

Asked them at pickup about the FWD seals and they said "oh that isn't something we would fix", I know that the delivery teams job is to get a car delivered and the reality is that the delivery team isn't going to fix anything or have it fixed, objective is clean it (poorly) and move it out. I let it go and decided it would be something I discuss with my local service center when I get home, same for adapter and locked in place tow receiver and plate and stickers...

When the AP camera fell out of calibration (or was it even working before?) I was upset, all the little things annoyed me but didn't push me over the edge, but when 10 minutes out of the delivery center on a 7 hours journey home the AP fails and now you don't even have cruise control, that put me over the edge. I went in the app and setup an appointment for service as soon as available. Emailed and texted Sales Advisor.

It took a couple weeks but after getting home they did finally get my car into Service Center and took care of everything, they got the locked reciever out of the tow hitch, they got the adapters and cover plate in place, they calibrated the camera and they even replaced the glass tops of the FWD which is necessary (apparently) to repair the rubber seals (dumb process but ok)...

Since I already had decided I didn't want this car and pushed the issues with our sales advisor we are actually trading it in just a month (5 weeks) after picking it up and picking up a newer one with less miles and more range...

Moral of my story; the delivery experience is likely to suck (I don't often hear of them going well on used Teslas) and the service will take a little waiting but in the end you will have what is going to be your favorite vehicle ever owned and all of the "real" issues will be taken care of for you (plastic trims are warrantable, seals are warrantable, etc... door dings and scratches are not)! Also, it helps to read the warranty so you know when you pick it up what they are going to be responsible for after pickup (the delivery team likely won't give you good answers).

Reactions: wreighven
Your journey certainly worries me. I just put in an order for a used X 2 days ago. Not really happy with used card advisor so far. Sends me template emails but don't respond to any emails or texts. I should start my own chain of events like you, I feel something coming.

mastermind, i am in Dallas too. this thread also worries me on the delivery process. i just finished my order and the ETA is 5/12. same adviser David and Danielle. Do you have any updates on your delivery experience in Dallas? Thanks!

Hoping yours goes better!
So sorry for your experience. it sucks. I was jaw-drop while I was reading your experience, can't believe this "kid" was so irresponsible and kinda rude, can't imaging this is from Tesla, very bad representative and PR. Tesla should aware of those service and listen to costumers
I am in Dallas, same advisers as yours.

I had a similar situation. Found the exact car I wanted. 2017 90D 25k miles, FSD, all packages, 5 seater for $61k. I saw the pictures and had some paint work in front and back bumper. Didn’t look major in the pictures. When they delivered the car, it looked like both bumpers got into an accident. The back actually had a dent with bad paint covering it up. I tried everything for them to after to fix it but they said no. Interior looked brand new. Was disappointed since I was excited for the car. I was also giving up then I found one on Craiglist.

He posted it 1 hour and I told him I’ll buy it tomorrow. It was a 2018 6 seater with console, white on white , with 22 onyx rims, EAP 23k miles, free charging and internet. Didn’t have FSD but I was ok with EAP. Got it for $67500 and couldn’t be happier since it came with MCU2 as well.

so definitely look around and not just limit yourself to Tesla. The cars for the most part are beat up pretty bad.

Reactions: 07e92