Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My v11 peeves. Have they also removed % expected, and roundtrip % from navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I used to put in a destination, a menu would popup that would show me the route, and at the bottom it'd say "expect to arrive with 15%, roundtrip -20%" Where's that gone? Tesla aren't stupid enough to have removed this - surely?! It's rather useful to know if you've got enough battery to reach your destination. It was slightly pessimistic (maybe as I don't break the speed limit) but often very accurate for me!

Other annoyances...
Taking away "cards" for trip, wh/mile. Could we not have a way of having it just as a customisable extra thing to have on/off where it used to be? ie. on the TRIPS page add. "Display TRIP on main screen" Yes/No? Let people swipe between it and tyres. Like before!
The cameras for lane changing are in a poor position - but at the top of the screen would cause serious issues. This is maybe impossible to solve. You can't move vehicle speed each time the turn signal is turned on! Also at night because the camera is physically on the turn signal you have a bright flashing orange light in the cabin! Could some AI compensate for this?!
The map in night mode shows your blue route - but all other roads are almost invisibly faint so you can't see where you are or the side roads. What on Earth!
Need dedicated buttons for seat heaters. I read a comment from a Texas driver saying what's the point of seat heater buttons. LOL. Half the places Tesla sell cars (eg Northern US, Northern Europe) experience cold winters! I sometimes want seat heaters on without wanting to turn on full hvac. It's going to be bad for the HVAC hardware for people to have to click it on to turn on seat heaters. So very stupid. Could have a cold winter mode. Where if the external temp was below 10C you get dedicated buttons. Or you have customisable buttons so you can choose to have seat heaters!
The HVAC recirculate button is GONE!?! Really useful for when driving in a city and not wanting to breathe in fumes, when driving past a sewage works. Also useful to open it when clearing the windscreen. Another safety feature. Made less safe! bit like making the front/rear windscreen buttons 2 clicks away!!

Bugs still not fixed:
When you reach the last track of a USB folder. the |< icon displays making it look like you can go back a track. But tapping it does nothing. Pressing back a track on the left steering wheel button does nothing. You have to go to the menu and click a track or folder to play a song again. Not something that is safe when driving.
Also. No way to skip forward 15,30,60 seconds through adverts in podcasts. Voice command. Skip 30seconds forwards. Or, for a bit of audiobook you missed. Skip back. PLEASE Elon!!
How about resume play for USB music? My 15 year old Pioneer mp3 car stereo would do that. Great for hour long podcasts and audiobooks! USB music is all I listen to. So if you are playing USB it should RESUME USB playback!!

Last edited:
Tesla famously tested the car in the Arctic circle, like all other car companies of course. But this software design (removing seat heater buttons and windscreen buttons) because they're not used often. My god! There's even a V11 youtube video where the guy chatting through the new functions says as much! All for the promotion of adding dedicated buttons - mostly related to games and things you can't do while driving! People say about cars designed in California not having rear wipers - because it rarely rains, it's not very important.

People say about cars designed in California not having rear wipers - because it rarely rains, it's not very important.

That part is actually true. I have hatch back cars for the last 12 years with rear wiper. Never once used them. Even my front wipers rare get used. When we bought our Model X back in 2017, the first time we used the front wipers was in January 2018. The first time my wife turned it on, we found out the wiper was installed "backward" by Tesla. One of them was whacking the driver side A-piller. We had to take it in to repaint the A-piller and reinstall the wiper. Obviously they didn't even test them at the factory.

Reactions: planetary
No. It's still there. The issue is that it's not sticky anymore. If you scroll the direction list, it's still at the bottom. I wish they would just bring that charge remaining icon down to the area that show the time left and distance instead of hiding it and leaving it in the directions list.
I like the new UI in general, but there needs to be continued iteration to improve. Apple is very well known for this.
this is my biggest complaint right now.

Dear Tesla,

Please send the UI developers you hired for V11 back to Apple. We need people who know how to design a UI for people NOT addicted to lookin at their screens for the latest social media post. People who know that the interface needs to be usable while travelling at great velocity and that it is not the center of attention.

P.S. Why do I need a "recently used" section taking up valuable real-estate on the screen? And why are all the customizable buttons useless apps and not important things like wiper buttons or seat heat?

Maybe UK software got a different update order, but they got rid of the % left display many versions ago on the direction view. You can only see it on Trip View (either pull down the direction list or easier just tap the top direction). I think they are trying get rid of range anxiety by not showing your the % number all the time. I don't think this is something new in V11 in the US.

I am really missing the trip info card. It is so handy to just take a glance and see my energy usage since last charge. I am also missing the tire pressure card. I just repaired a flat a few weeks ago and I kind want to keep an eye on it to see if the pressure drops. And don't get me started on the music source selection. Can they make it any harder to switch source when you are trying to drive and keep your eyes on the road. Maybe there is a shortcut I haven't discovered yet.

Maybe UK software got a different update order, but they got rid of the % left display many versions ago on the direction view. You can only see it on Trip View (either pull down the direction list or easier just tap the top direction). I think they are trying get rid of range anxiety by not showing your the % number all the time. I don't think this is something new in V11 in the US.

I am really missing the trip info card. It is so handy to just take a glance and see my energy usage since last charge. I am also missing the tire pressure card. I just repaired a flat a few weeks ago and I kind want to keep an eye on it to see if the pressure drops. And don't get me started on the music source selection. Can they make it any harder to switch source when you are trying to drive and keep your eyes on the road. Maybe there is a shortcut I haven't discovered yet.
Yes, there is. If a music source is on your favorites bar, just tap it. Actually quicker than before. And if not, just bring up the quick controls and all of your sources are right there.

I agree that trying to change the source from within the audio app is non-intuitive and difficult to find.

Reactions: RNHurt and Need
Yes, there is. If a music source is on your favorites bar, just tap it. Actually quicker than before. And if not, just bring up the quick controls and all of your sources are right there.

I agree that trying to change the source from within the audio app is non-intuitive and difficult to find.
Great. I put Spotify and TuneIn as my 2 favorite. Good thing I only use those 2 because you can only have 2 on it. Why are they leaving so much room at the bottom. They have room to put in a 2 to 4 more favorite AND the seat heaters.

OK, I want to put one persistent myth to bed. I live in the Bay Area of California, very close to the Fremont factory and the test track where they test vehicles. Until very recently, the corporate offices were here too.

Yes, it rains here. It's fair to say it doesn't rain here in the summer, but we get plenty of rain every winter and a little in the spring and fall as well. So, no, they didn't move the wiper controls because it never rains here.

Yes, it gets plenty cold enough to use heated seats here. It rarely gets to below freezing temperatures in this area but it will definitely get down into the 30s and low 40s which is plenty cold enough where everyone would want to use heated seats. In fact, I use heated seats almost year round as even if morning temperatures are in the 50s that's still cool enough for me to want to warm my butt!

I've actually been pretty happy with the "Auto" seat heater setting. It's not perfect but it's not uncomfortable either. Overall, I think it's a good addition, you just have to un-learn some habits.
Does AUTO turns down the heat setting after a while? I had it at setting 1 and then turned on AUTO. It changed it to 3 and it stays at 3 for miles....until I am comfortably toasty on my buns LOL. Had to turn it back to manual setting 1. I never use the seat heater higher than 1 though.

Does AUTO turns down the heat setting after a while?
Yes, AUTO is supposed to take into consideration the outside temp, the temp inside the car, and the temp setting. I've had it start at 2 and then move down to 1 automatically. It's not perfect, but it seems to work pretty well for me. It would be nice to have it "learn" how hot you like your seat to be and store this in the profile. Some people like it on 3 all the time, I much prefer 1.

Reactions: Sporty
Yes, AUTO is supposed to take into consideration the outside temp, the temp inside the car, and the temp setting. I've had it start at 2 and then move down to 1 automatically. It's not perfect, but it seems to work pretty well for me. It would be nice to have it "learn" how hot you like your seat to be and store this in the profile. Some people like it on 3 all the time, I much prefer 1.
It seems others are having different experiences with automatic seat heat than I am. In auto, I NEVER feel the heat come on, even when it indicates high. Then I turn it on manually and it works as it always has.

Just completed a short road trip in the winter when consumption (and monitoring your consumption) is even more important. Yes, I know I can get there by clicking the Car icon and then trips but I would have thought that one of the most important things to be mindful of in an EV is your wh/km. Maybe Tesla is trying to wean everyone off range anxiety by not having it always in your face, but it is an important stat. Cumbersome to have to press 2 buttons to see that info

It seems others are having different experiences with automatic seat heat than I am. In auto, I NEVER feel the heat come on, even when it indicates high. Then I turn it on manually and it works as it always has.
If this is true and we're all having different experiences, then I would say that this update is REALLY messed up and needs to have some work done immediately.

Maybe the Tesla Motors QA department was out on holiday break and the engineers just pushed the update through anyway. 😆

OK, I want to put one persistent myth to bed. I live in the Bay Area of California, very close to the Fremont factory and the test track where they test vehicles. Until very recently, the corporate offices were here too.

Yes, it rains here. It's fair to say it doesn't rain here in the summer, but we get plenty of rain every winter and a little in the spring and fall as well. So, no, they didn't move the wiper controls because it never rains here.

Yes, it gets plenty cold enough to use heated seats here. It rarely gets to below freezing temperatures in this area but it will definitely get down into the 30s and low 40s which is plenty cold enough where everyone would want to use heated seats. In fact, I use heated seats almost year round as even if morning temperatures are in the 50s that's still cool enough for me to want to warm my butt!
“The coldest winter was my summer in San Francisco” as Mark Twain never said.

So there’s no excuse at all then, right?

Auto seat heater cannot know if I am wearing shorts to go to football training (in which case 2 is hot and 3 burns) or thick jeans as I'm going to the relatives (where I can't feel 1 or 2). I want dedicated friggin seat heater buttons! Next to HVAC button please! And I DON'T want to turn on HVAC to turn on seat heaters. It's stupid, a waste of energy, and bad for electronics to turn things on/off for a few seconds! Every engineer knows this!
Also the whole rear seat / front seat display - where you can't turn on the front seats because you're on the rear seat tab - it's just a bad fix for a BAD design!!! Something that wasn't broke before and now is just bad!