Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My vehicle does NOT read my phone contacts anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see all "recent" numbers, but no contacts anymore. I have a Model S, AP1, 6/2016, and a Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime with Android 7.1.1. It worked before but no - perhaps after upgrading to FW 9.0 - my touchscreen does not show the contacts anymore. Any idea what I do wrong? Thanks. Mike

I had the same issue with my Galaxy Note 9 on Android 8.1.
I'm not quite sure what causes the issue, but I was able to get them to show again after I exported all my contacts from my Gmail account (where they have always been) to the phone's memory, [all this within the phone itself].

Now I have them on both locations, and the phone merged them automatically so I don't have any duplicates. The only pain is I need to remember to store new contacts on both locations, otherwise the car won't display the new additions.

I can't find the article now, but the problem/solution has been identified. At least one of your contacts contains a special character (ie. one of "#%()"). Go through all of your contacts, change any and all of those containing the bad characters and resync (if neccessary).
This seems to apply to cars with the new MCU. The old MCU can handle the characters just fine. [Personally tested with multiple Model X with old, new MCU, Model S (new?) and Model 3 (new).]

In my experience, the local Service Center might insist that the problem is with your phone. It's not. It is a bug with Tesla software in Bluetooth sync that seems to have been introduced about the time of the MCU upgrade.

I have the same Galaxy Amp Prime phone by the way, and a Model X with new MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: shthpnz
www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/8mm161/tesla_model_3_bluetooth_contact_sync_fix/ 11 months ago 6/2018

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I have struggled with Bluetooth Contacts/Call History Sync problems since taking possession of our Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on 10/31/2018. My workaround was to Disable Contacts/Call History, which makes hands-free calling all but impossible. I had a Google Pixel XL cellphone, finally gave up and upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but the Sync problem persisted. I performed a careful search of all 1000+ of my Google/Gmail Contacts for the "&" character and replaced it with "and" (or deleted the offending Contact) in every case, after a second pass today 5/6/2019 this FINALLY fixed the Sync problem after nearly 6 months and 6 different Tesla Service Requests / Tesla Service Center visits. Note that the characters ,./()- are all perfectly OK, just the character & appears to cause the problem (and perhaps the unusual characters #!@$%^*<>+= used in the contact title/name ???). You would think Tesla would fix this, they admitted to me that they have had many owners who have had this same Contacts Sync problem. I am running Tesla Model 3 Software Version 2019.12.1.2. 5c87371 (just installed 5/5/2019).