Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Very Detailed CPO Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a Deposit down on a CPO model s from San Diego.
I was told that the car was in transit to Phoenix. I had all the paperwork and financing in place So I sold my existing car. I get a call 3 days later saying they can't sell me the car and it was not shipped. The only thing they could tell me was the car wasn't supposed to be on the website. I asked why the car was not supposed to be on the website and the representative just repeated the same thing. They were very vague on answering my questions. The car had a clean Carfax and AutoCheck. It was a California car show any damage over a thousand needs to be reported. The Tesla representative was very vague and answering my questions. I just want the car or a car equal to the model that we agreed on. Has anyone had Tesla back out of their agreement? No I'm left without a car what a terrible buying experience. I can only hope Tesla will make it right.

Reactions: bigbear
I put down my $2500 deposit on a 2015 P90DL and I received an email shortly thereafter and then a call...3 weeks later and I'm still waiting. Nothing has went smooth so far. The communication from Tesla is terrible and the whole buying process has been negative. Finally, I'm suppose to pick up my car on Saturday (3/16) so Friday morning (3/15) I email the SA to confirm the appointment and ask if I need to bring anything with me. I receive an email 3:30 pm on Friday stating the car has damage (rims, rocker panel and some other minor items) and he asks if I can postpone pickup for another week. I email him letting him know my nervousness and he emails me back "...bear in mind that it is a four year old car with nearly 40,000 miles. ...We will have it detailed and polished, but will not repaint any body panels". Keep in mind, I have not asked him to do anything to the car, how could I as I haven't seen the car yet (my 2 year old granddaughter could take better pictures then Tesla.). His statement even makes me more nervous. I don't think they realize that CPO buyers are basically buying a used car sight unseen and trusting Tesla.

I put down my $2500 deposit on a 2015 P90DL and I received an email shortly thereafter and then a call...3 weeks later and I'm still waiting. Nothing has went smooth so far. The communication from Tesla is terrible and the whole buying process has been negative. Finally, I'm suppose to pick up my car on Saturday (3/16) so Friday morning (3/15) I email the SA to confirm the appointment and ask if I need to bring anything with me. I receive an email 3:30 pm on Friday stating the car has damage (rims, rocker panel and some other minor items) and he asks if I can postpone pickup for another week. I email him letting him know my nervousness and he emails me back "...bear in mind that it is a four year old car with nearly 40,000 miles. ...We will have it detailed and polished, but will not repaint any body panels". Keep in mind, I have not asked him to do anything to the car, how could I as I haven't seen the car yet (my 2 year old granddaughter could take better pictures then Tesla.). His statement even makes me more nervous. I don't think they realize that CPO buyers are basically buying a used car sight unseen and trusting Tesla.

I finally picked up the car last week. The outside looked fine, you could tell they tried to buff it up, but the inside was dirty. I literally put spit on my thumb and rubbed it on the leather to make sure it was just dirt. I noticed that the seat was "flaking" so I asked them to repair it and they said it was a simple $50 fix and gave me the name of a detailer that does work for them. The detailer calls me backs and said that the seats were treated improperly and they need to be removed from the car and stripped and dyed at $550+. Hearing this I get a little upset and call Tesla and they tell me its a used car and sold "as-is". I going to run this up the ladder, but I can say this is absolutely the worst car buying experience I've had.

I finally picked up the car last week. The outside looked fine, you could tell they tried to buff it up, but the inside was dirty. I literally put spit on my thumb and rubbed it on the leather to make sure it was just dirt. I noticed that the seat was "flaking" so I asked them to repair it and they said it was a simple $50 fix and gave me the name of a detailer that does work for them. The detailer calls me backs and said that the seats were treated improperly and they need to be removed from the car and stripped and dyed at $550+. Hearing this I get a little upset and call Tesla and they tell me its a used car and sold "as-is". I going to run this up the ladder, but I can say this is absolutely the worst car buying experience I've had.
Your experience mirrors mine. Car was dirty inside. The leather armrests had fallen off, condensation on the taillight, worn leather etc. I was also given the "sold as is" line but eventually they fixed most of it. Just not the cosmetic stuff. Doubt they will do anything about the worn leather but please let us know if you reach a resolution.

Your experience mirrors mine. Car was dirty inside. The leather armrests had fallen off, condensation on the taillight, worn leather etc. I was also given the "sold as is" line but eventually they fixed most of it. Just not the cosmetic stuff. Doubt they will do anything about the worn leather but please let us know if you reach a resolution.

I forgot to mention that the leather was flaking in one spot when I picked up the car, a week later and both front seats were flaking everywhere. First time my my daughter sees the car she tells me your seats are "janky". Every time you sat in or got out of the car the seats got severely worse. The non-testa repair guy says they were painted with some water based solution and they would only get worse. I ran it up to the president of customer service and I received an email back stating they would look into it. Long story short...they looked at it and said the car was sold as-is and this was a defect but caused by the previous owner and they would split the cost with me as a show of good faith. I accepted the offer as its just not worth the hassle.

I forgot to mention that the leather was flaking in one spot when I picked up the car, a week later and both front seats were flaking everywhere. First time my my daughter sees the car she tells me your seats are "janky". Every time you sat in or got out of the car the seats got severely worse. The non-testa repair guy says they were painted with some water based solution and they would only get worse. I ran it up to the president of customer service and I received an email back stating they would look into it. Long story short...they looked at it and said the car was sold as-is and this was a defect but caused by the previous owner and they would split the cost with me as a show of good faith. I accepted the offer as its just not worth the hassle.

Tesla had my front seats refinished and they came out beautiful! Tesla contracted with Creative Auto Trim in Kansas City and all I can say is what a GREAT job he did (highly recommended if you need your leather repaired). Although I agreed to a split the cost, Tesla paid the majority.