Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My very disappointing CPO delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, this is not that uncommon depending on the SC.

Did you get all of this on the Due Bill? There are very specific requirements for cosmetic issues listed on the CPO agreement, and if they exceed those requirements, Tesla has to fix them. If they didn't fill out a due bill for all of this, I would head back ASAP and get it filled out. Don't delay as they might then argue all the cosmetic issues happened after you left.

Honestly, I would have refused delivery if I was that unhappy. Yes, it sucks after waiting so long, but you should always be prepared to do it. That really puts the onus on Tesla to get the car fixed right to make the sale. When I bought my CPO, I did not pay until delivery day just in case I had to refuse delivery. We will do the same with the CPO we currently have on order.

View attachment 232689

Hi, would you send me this? I don't have this document in my files.

Another update: dropped the car off at the Burlingame SC. They went over the list of dozen plus items that I've noticed since I picked up the car. They seemed to be very willing to work with me. They said it might take over a week to work on the car. On an even more positive-but-sucks-to-be-me note, they told me they had not seen a CPO car with such extensive issues right off the lot. It looks like I just got unlucky. This is where I'm really glad I got a car with a 4 yr warranty.
I'll still update this post but intend on writing a more thorough process thay includes the final outcome.

Glad it's being sorted! Jesus.

But people who shout down others who are only giving their opinions is wrong. You can't come on a forum and say "only give me positive replies" let people give their opinions as long as there is no disrespect, cursing.

I'll admit, I'm angry, FOR you and WITH you lol. Reading the OPs post I was p'd off, your gut is telling you this is all terrible and you still drive off with the thing! I think car sales people will do almost anything to sell, no shame, all about the sales figures. I'll stop ranting.

Just glad they're sorting you out, grrrr!

I actually put a deposit down too on a 2012 and it took several weeks to get an answer if the drive unit was replaced and I still don't have answers about any other replacements or pictures. Tesla really needs to improve the CPO process in many ways.

You may also want to ask if the vehicle was ever in Tesla's loaner fleet. A lot of off-lease Tesla's get put into the Service Center loaner pool only to be sold off later as a CPO.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalLawyer
You may also want to ask if the vehicle was ever in Tesla's loaner fleet. A lot of off-lease Tesla's get put into the Service Center loaner pool only to be sold off later as a CPO.
I would think that would be a good thing don't you? I have heard from several Tesla employees that if a car has been taken back from a lease and is put into the loaner fleet it gets new battery, new DU, etc...
Kind of makes me think it would be an advantage to buy a loaner vs a used tesla.

Thoughts?

I would think that would be a good thing don't you? I have heard from several Tesla employees that if a car has been taken back from a lease and is put into the loaner fleet it gets new battery, new DU, etc...
Kind of makes me think it would be an advantage to buy a loaner vs a used tesla.

Thoughts?
I doubt they replace the DU and battery on every loaner. That would probably not make economical sense to Tesla. But I agree that if a CPO car has had a DU and/or battery, it's definitely good news since you're essentially getting new guts for the car. :D

I actually put a deposit down too on a 2012 and it took several weeks to get an answer if the drive unit was replaced and I still don't have answers about any other replacements or pictures. Tesla really needs to improve the CPO process in many ways.

Agreed! As you know from another thread I'm in the same boat. Great communication with CPO sales staff "pre-deposit" once deposit was made the lights went out. Perhaps the lesson here is to get all the information about the car that can be squeezed out of them BEFORE making the deposit? lol!!

• Informative
Reactions: SocalMS
Agreed! As you know from another thread I'm in the same boat. Great communication with CPO sales staff "pre-deposit" once deposit was made the lights went out. Perhaps the lesson here is to get all the information about the car that can be squeezed out of them BEFORE making the deposit? lol!!

Only downside is you might lose the car. During the firesale, cars were disappearing left and right out from under us as we were looking.

Reactions: tccartier
This CPO purchase is for me, as big a leap as the original buyer made of this Signature S back in 2012 when he had to plunk down $40k and wait years to even get to see and drive one. While the cars themselves may be otherworldly the CPO process is not. I just fail to understand why they are not forthcoming with information about the car. What could it hurt to tell me some of it's maintenance history, It's almost like.... "wait"..... it IS like they don't want me to see it until they have my money. They still refuse to pass along any inspection items found, no maint. history, no photos of the actual car!! just stock images. It is frustrating and will need to change when Tesla finally runs out of early adopters and has to begin selling cars to people who WILL NOT donate a $1k+ for a car they can't get any information on until the day they take delivery. And even then these threads abound with shortcomings at delivery, items not caught, no promised inspection and repair reports and so forth! It gives me no idea of why it takes so long if they can't tell me what the car needs or is waiting for and why!!

At this point I have no idea what to expect or when. "should be ready for delivery in two weeks" was the last communication from anyone. So I'll wait two more weeks and inquire again I guess??