TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My VMS spontaneously rebooted this morning

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by cinergi, Jan 24, 2011.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Just after I unplugged to turn the cabin heat on in prep for my commute, I turned the key, and nothing happened. I tried a couple times, to no avail. I went to get warmer clothing to prepare for a roadside assist call to find that it was working again.

I let Tesla know, and they say my VMS rebooted for an unknown reason. It takes about 2 minutes to reboot, hence why the car was unresponsive for a couple of minutes.

Not sure if it's related, but noticed this in the "messages" log file, literally filling up the logs with nothing but these:

Jan 24 14:25:55 syslog: VMS: logStateBit: Log buffer full

Good times!

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

How are you getting all these logs? Flash memory dump? Could the VMS reboot be related to all the log gathering you are doing? I think that is atypical behavior (except for maybe tomsax and Scott451.)

3. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Yeah just inserting the USB stick. I'd only done it once since it was last booted (when it was upgraded).

Tesla's going to look at the current log dump, and pull logs once a week for a while to monitor the situation. I'd hope there's enough information somewhere for them to see why it panick'ed and rebooted.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Tesla got back to me. I'll paraphrase since I don't want to quote without permission.

The VMS rebooted due to a sufficient amount of electrical noise (often highest at the end of the charge cycle). It's expected behavior and as long as it's not frequent, it's "normal operation."

I'd guess most people wouldn't notice it -- I just happened to catch it as I disconnected mid-charge at the end of the charge cycle.