Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My way of lifting my Model 3… (custom lifting rig)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B31B8C48-E353-4F90-8DA1-E24C85D6FB73.jpeg

C1A519F8-08EA-4EB8-971B-3F5FCD608A8A.jpeg
B3502A68-CA0F-4053-BDE4-CA7C0D3FB363.jpeg

By my math, while lifting I am about 30% below the stress required to cause permanent deformation of the longitudinal beams (permanent deformation being even, say, 1mm of permanent bend), but significantly below the point of mechanical failure. Of course, stress goes to near zero once the jack stands are in place.

I made it out of 3x3 Hot Rolled Square tubing with 0.120” walls, with all joints seams double-welded. A 20’ stick was $170, and I already had the jack.

(Oh, I’m installing lowering springs and painting the wheels :) )

523CB138-2104-497E-B11A-6DD6179AD81E.jpeg

Why? Because I could :p .

Maybe it's more to prevent smash-and-grab entry into the car, then esthetics?

Maybe it's more to prevent smash-and-grab entry into the car, then esthetics?
It was 50/50 aesthetics and window protection since the clear film kits cost about the same. I do like how they look though :) .
how do you lift the car....can't be from just one side?
Lift from one side and emplace jack stands on that side. The opposite two wheels form the other 2 points in the triangle for balance. I did an intermediate first step when lifting, using some 6”wood blocks under the first left side. Then, I bring the jack to the right side and lift high enough for the actual jack stands. I finish by going back to the left side to continue jacking high enough for jack stands.

Pretty nice! Seems like it would be easier getting a second lift to use with your setup and having a friend lift the other side at the same time but I get the point of all this was to use what you had and not spend more $$

Pretty nice! Seems like it would be easier getting a second lift to use with your setup and having a friend lift the other side at the same time but I get the point of all this was to use what you had and not spend more $$by
I thought about that, but stability during lifting relies on either both opposing tires to be on the ground, or having the opposite side be supported by two jack stands. Lifting both sides at a time would result in the whole car only being supported at two points, and it would tip forward or backward.

My original idea, then I replaced the boards with stacked rectangular patio stones. First I drive up on boards to raise it high enough to insert puck and the steel beam on the jack. Lift jack and slide patio stones under each side of the beam.

Attachments

• 1653276984214.jpeg
    1653276984214.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 1653276925923.jpeg
    1653276925923.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 149
how do you lift the car....can't be from just one side?
Very nice. I went with a quickjack years ago and never looked back. Its just so nice to be able to raise and lower your car completely with ease.
I haven't used it on the Tesla yet but I'm sure that it wont be an issue.
I'm pretty sure with all the work I do to this car I will do the same.....it's really not that expensive for making your life easier and worry free

I'm pretty sure with all the work I do to this car I will do the same.....it's really not that expensive for making your life easier and worry free
Definitely I have the 5000 think I picked it up for around $1100 on sale and then picked up the frame extensions for working on SUVs which should help with the longer points on the Tesla. I always hated laying under cars and with Audi's seemed like I was under them all the time doing a Haldex service.
Or changing the winter wheels.

1653306980644.png

Very nice. I went with a quickjack years ago and never looked back. Its just so nice to be able to raise and lower your car completely with ease.
I haven't used it on the Tesla yet but I'm sure that it wont be an issue.
I really, really considered it and, hilariously I originally didn’t go that route so I wouldn’t have something huge to move down the road :p . Of course, then I started messing around with sketches and math and got myself all excited :p .

I am seriously considering building a platform around it so I can just park on it every day, if nothing else to save wall space in the garage and keep from having to actually move it for use.

I really, really considered it and, hilariously I originally didn’t go that route so I wouldn’t have something huge to move down the road :p . Of course, then I started messing around with sketches and math and got myself all excited :p .

I am seriously considering building a platform around it so I can just park on it every day, if nothing else to save wall space in the garage and keep from having to actually move it for use.
That's funny yeah lugging things around is a little bit of a pain. It would be super nice to be able to drive in and just lift the car.
These do store pretty nicely and don't take up much room. I also didn't like that they don't have wheels so you drag them on the ground on the paint.
I put casters on mine right away so I could roll them around before destroying the paint.
Looks like it's time for you to add them as well to roll your rig around easily :)

1653311262450.png

1653311334558.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
I thought about that, but stability during lifting relies on either both opposing tires to be on the ground, or having the opposite side be supported by two jack stands. Lifting both sides at a time would result in the whole car only being supported at two points, and it would tip forward or backward
Would it be easier, less expensive and less fabrication and just buy a second jack and place them on the same side?

Would it be easier, less expensive and less fabrication and just buy a second jack and place them on the same side?
Unfortunately, that still leaves the challenge of where to place the jack stands. The whole point of this rig was to lift from between the jack points so I could emplace stands at the actual load-bearing locations. Gantry-style jack stands tend to be quite expensive, and I liked the safety and stability of having all four corners tied together (and didn’t like the idea of getting under a car on loose lumber).

Plus, as mentioned, it was a neat engineering and fabrication challenge!

Reactions: DocHolliday
Unfortunately, that still leaves the challenge of where to place the jack stands. The whole point of this rig was to lift from between the jack points so I could emplace stands at the actual load-bearing locations. Gantry-style jack stands tend to be quite expensive, and I liked the safety and stability of having all four corners tied together (and didn’t like the idea of getting under a car on loose lumber).

Plus, as mentioned, it was a neat engineering and fabrication challenge!

Yes, your engineering and fabrication skills are above mine, certainly.
How about flat piece of metal with a puck on either end?