Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My way of lifting my Model 3… (custom lifting rig)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B31B8C48-E353-4F90-8DA1-E24C85D6FB73.jpeg

C1A519F8-08EA-4EB8-971B-3F5FCD608A8A.jpeg
B3502A68-CA0F-4053-BDE4-CA7C0D3FB363.jpeg

By my math, while lifting I am about 30% below the stress required to cause permanent deformation of the longitudinal beams (permanent deformation being even, say, 1mm of permanent bend), but significantly below the point of mechanical failure. Of course, stress goes to near zero once the jack stands are in place.

I made it out of 3x3 Hot Rolled Square tubing with 0.120” walls, with all joints seams double-welded. A 20’ stick was $170, and I already had the jack.

(Oh, I’m installing lowering springs and painting the wheels :) )

523CB138-2104-497E-B11A-6DD6179AD81E.jpeg

Why? Because I could :p .

What is the purpose of the cross pieces? Or to put this another way, could you have built an H instead of a square?

Or do you even need that much? Why not just two separate pieces (the longitudinal pieces), which would be much easier to move and stash in a corner?

The problem is how to get a beam rigid enough to hold ~2100lbs between a 5ft span without deformation while also being able to fit a jack underneath it.
This place has every kind of steel you’d ever want made to order, with no minimum quantity. Very reasonable shipping charges.

That's funny yeah lugging things around is a little bit of a pain. It would be super nice to be able to drive in and just lift the car.
These do store pretty nicely and don't take up much room. I also didn't like that they don't have wheels so you drag them on the ground on the paint.
I put casters on mine right away so I could roll them around before destroying the paint.
Looks like it's time for you to add them as well to roll your rig around easily :)

View attachment 807789
Love the caster Ideal. Do you have a link/guide/video anything to help me implement this idea on my Quickjack? TIA

Love the caster Ideal. Do you have a link/guide/video anything to help me implement this idea on my Quickjack? TIA
There are a couple designs around. I welded up some angle iron to make the brackets the original design was from a corvette forum that I copied.
It looks like there are much better options then what I followed. I may need to revise my design.

Reactions: Lindenwood
What is the purpose of the cross pieces? Or to put this another way, could you have built an H instead of a square?

Or do you even need that much? Why not just two separate pieces (the longitudinal pieces), which would be much easier to move and stash in a corner?
I considered an H, but I worried that if I was only moderately off in my fulcrum estimations it would experience a lot of torsional stress. Of course, I could have made it lighter since the cross bars are each only carrying half the stress, so 1x3s would have probably sufficed.

However, the cross bars are necessary (or at least, some type of arms that reach under the car to act as a pivot point for lifting). Building a square was simple enough for a first shot, and it is very much over built in several dimensions, which did give me some warm-fuzzies.

I feel like I'm probably going to facepalm once you explain that, but I'm still not getting why that's necessary.
Hah, no worries! The location where the jack pad applies its lifting force is offset from the long axis of the longitudinal (fire-aft) bars. Without the cross beams, the longitudinal bars would simply rotate toward the center of the car when I apply force with the jack.