Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Wh/m after one year of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned this 2018 model S 75D for one year and it seems my Wh/m is high with a 363 for the last 9K miles. I cleared trip B and have been driving slower and trying to get the number down which is better at 308. Is this Wh/m unusually high?
In that 9K miles there was at least 3 month’s of driving in cold weather which I know that definitely drives it up but
after driving in warm weather for months now I thought it would be in the 280 range.

Attachments

• 905AF145-CB22-46F6-8AEE-53959DEF8BFF.jpeg
    905AF145-CB22-46F6-8AEE-53959DEF8BFF.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 140
That’s what I’m thinking that it’s still too high. Does this mean my battery is not very good?
High Wh/Mi consumption is more related to your driving habits and conditions than your actual battery.

What kind of tires are you using? What kind of temps and speeds? Are you going uphill a lot? Mashing the throttle?

I'm in the upper 290s/lower 300s with a Raven S with high heat, leading to tons of AC usage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Are you going uphill a lot?
Hmmm, I am wondering about the significance of that question? I've never seen that it matters how far or how often I drive up hill. I regularly drove over the summit at 7,200 feet. Sure, it uses a lot more energy going up, but I gain it back when I come down.

So eventually he is going to come back down the hill at some point. Oh wait, now that I said that, I remember dad saying when he was young, he had to walk 3 miles to school in the snow and it was up hill in both directions. :)

• Funny
Reactions: IChillinz
Hmmm, I am wondering about the significance of that question? I've never seen that it matters how far or how often I drive up hill. I regularly drove over the summit at 7,200 feet. Sure, it uses a lot more energy going up, but I gain it back when I come down.

So eventually he is going to come back down the hill at some point. Oh wait, now that I said that, I remember dad saying when he was young, he had to walk 3 miles to school in the snow and it was up hill in both directions. :)
It's not a 1:1 conversion of energy spent going up versus regen'd. There's losses due to heat, friction, and other inefficiencies.

• Informative
It's not a 1:1 conversion of energy spent going up versus regen'd. There's losses due to heat, friction, and other inefficiencies.
Oh sure, I get it. And agree it is not a 1:1 conversion. Been an electronic engineer for decades. My point (poorly made) is that I have yet in 5 years to notice it making a "significant" difference in energy usage. I go over the summit and back a lot. On those trips in my big heavy MX carrying a bunch of equipment, I notice only about a 10 or 20 Wh/m difference as compared to drive in small elevation changes. I think he would have to MOSTLY be going up and down large elevation changes often to notice a big effect. It's the other factors that you expertly mention.

Last edited:
Reactions: fetar30310
I'm in the high 300's most of the time with my 2016P90D. Usually in the low 400's for most of my trips. Drive it and enjoy what you get.
Okay I guess I’m okay then. I do drive a lot of short trips in town and it’s been hot so that doesn’t help. Lately I’ve been taking it easy and it has improved but it’s no fun driving that way so I will take your advice and drive it and enjoy. I just thought that the 363 Wh/m was high, my wife has a 3 and I can push it and it still will average around 270 and her last 9K miles is at 305.

• Helpful
Okay I guess I’m okay then. I do drive a lot of short trips in town and it’s been hot so that doesn’t help. Lately I’ve been taking it easy and it has improved but it’s no fun driving that way so I will take your advice and drive it and enjoy. I just thought that the 363 Wh/m was high, my wife has a 3 and I can push it and it still will average around 270 and her last 9K miles is at 305.
I'm curious about your answer to fetar's questions, especially about the tires, speeds, and "mashing it", since you already mentioned about the heat. Agree 360+ does seem high. I get a lot better than that in my bigger heavier MX out here in the heat.

I'll mention another thing that many people don't understand and it is related to fetar's question about mashing it. Electric motors are not linear in terms of consuming energy to supply power to the drive train. It is "similar but not exactly" like a pool pump. In a pool pump, if you want to push twice the amount of water through the pump, it takes about 4 times the power, not double. It's almost an exponential relationship. Thus, "mashing it" uses substantially more energy that a more gradual start. With Teslas, most of like to punch it.

Oh and to add, short trips aren't as big a deal as short trips in a gasoline car.

Last edited:
Reactions: fetar30310
High Wh/Mi consumption is more related to your driving habits and conditions than your actual battery.

What kind of tires are you using? What kind of temps and speeds? Are you going uphill a lot? Mashing the throttle?

I'm in the upper 290s/lower 300s with a Raven S with high heat, leading to tons of AC usage.
I’m running 19” Pirelli P zero tires and live in Midwest flat country, but do mash the throttle.

• Helpful