Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wh/m Spikes in the first mile or so driven 700+ wh/mi

Medvin

Apr 28, 2019
NEW Jersey
I received my LR AWD 19" Y around a week ago and I am just starting to notice that whenever I start the car and start driving... the first mile or so the wh/m spikes up to vetwen 700-900 (if ac is turned on) and then after a few miles of driving everything seems to stabilize down to normal. Is this a normal occurrence for other owners or is this a service related issue?

Even with the AC turned off it spikes to around 600-700 wh/m
20200817_185700.jpg
20200817_173555.jpg
20200817_173555.jpg
20200817_173708.jpg
20200817_174005.jpg

brinox

Apr 30, 2020
Lenexa
This is the moving-average of power it takes to change a stationary car weighing a minimum of 4400 lbs to moving 30+ mph. Once you get going, the amount of power it takes to maintain an average speed of 30-50 mph or so is significantly less than what you're seeing when you first start out.

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 stop-n-go's to get to a long enough street or highway segment to balance your power usage out to <=300Wh/mi.

Reactions: Watts_Up

fly4fun

Jul 28, 2020
Colorado
This behaviour had me pretty concerned the first trip I made in the car. I came to the conclusion it is just averaging in the consumption from when the car was sitting idle prior to the trip. In my case at least, this includes a few minutes of A/C runing, fussing with the streaming service, etc.

steve841

Jan 17, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Totally normal. Just wait till you get it back from service one time. It will look like they were drag racing it down the street. Door open, Car essentially on, a/c running and traveling a distance of 100 yards will spike that puppy.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
This behaviour had me pretty concerned the first trip I made in the car. I came to the conclusion it is just averaging in the consumption from when the car was sitting idle prior to the trip. In my case at least, this includes a few minutes of A/C runing, fussing with the streaming service, etc.

It doesn't look like it's averaging the energy used idle before the trip to me. The first time I parked on a hot day, i turned my AC on max 10 minutes before I got to the car. The reported battery Wh/mi wasn't affected. It was quite a shock to see the inside temp was 49 degrees on a hot day as I got to my car though - really liking the phone control over the climate system.

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
I think it starts charging the 12V battery as well (like the alternator on a gasser).

This is the moving-average of power it takes to change a stationary car weighing a minimum of 4400 lbs to moving 30+ mph. Once you get going, the amount of power it takes to maintain an average speed of 30-50 mph or so is significantly less than what you're seeing when you first start out.

I'm guessing it takes at least 3 stop-n-go's to get to a long enough street or highway segment to balance your power usage out to <=300Wh/mi.

• Informative
Reactions: ftmaybe

M3BlueGeorgia

Dec 10, 2018
Atlanta, GA
The battery/power usage statistics take a few miles to settle down.

You'll also find that on a road trip, the expected arrival percentage isn't very accurate until you've driven 30 or 40 miles, unless you are continuing after a charging stop.

For example, leaving home with 90% charge, the car forecast we'd arrive at the Metter, GA Supercharger (203 miles I-75 & I-16) with 6%, which briefly dropped to 5%, but by the time we were on the south side of Atlanta, the car had changed its forecast to 13%. We arrived with 15%.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC