Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you want this?

• Yes, I would buy it if available

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Yes, I want to help make this happen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is already out there, go buy it MY DAD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your wife is cool, stop watching videos and just enjoy your MY as is.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

Long time reader, first time poster here....I am in love with my MY, recently drove it from North NJ to HHI, SC. One thing I went back and forth on when purchasing were the wheels. I have the base 19" Gemini with the ugly wheel covers. I told myself at time of purchase, they were better all season tires, probably slightly better for range (based on what I read), and cheaper to replace. So overall the 19" tires would lower the total cost of ownership. At the time, this made sense to me. Then Elon gave us all an extra 10 miles of range and mellowed out the regen braking. Boy did I have mixed feelings when that happened. Time heels all wounds, they say, and I am still in love.

Getting back on track, I have spent a LOT of time thinking about these wheel covers. I watch a LOT of tesla videos. Lucky for me, my wife is forgiving. Charging in HHI, I saw a MX with the WORST curb rash/wheel rash I have ever seen. This seems to be a pretty prevalent problem. Even I have a little rash. I was pissed that day...Don't get me started.

Ok, getting back on track, I had an idea I wanted to socialize. Not trying to make money here, so not really worried if someone wants to steel this idea and do it themselves (I will happily be a customer). So here it is, tell me what you think? Maybe we can make this together?

19" Gemini tires allegedly lose up to 7-8% of range (high speed) without the wheel covers (or so one tesla video says, you probably know the one I am talking about). So I prefer to keep the covers. Painting the covers, you still have the rim showing. Painting the rim is annoying and it will rub off. If you did want to do all of this, there are lots of videos from those who have, will take lots of time, lots of coats, and you will just have to do it again down the road. Beat up rims stand out. Sure you can get bands, and hopefully they don't fall off and do damage. Also, doing all this stuff adds up $$$ (so probably should have just gotten cooler wheels to start).

So what if....Yeah, I am finally getting there. there was a replacement wheel cover in the desired matte black finish that ALSO covered the rim? TaDa! that's the big idea, a freaken replacement wheel cover, that is the exact same as the current wheel cover BUT all matte black and with an added "lip" (of sorts) that would cover and protect the rim of the 19" Gemini.

I assume a lot of effort went into the design of the current cover, that is why I would want to keep it exactly the same. Just change the color and add something to also cover, and protect, the rim. My idea of how to do this would start by getting the current cover 3D scanned and made into a CAD drawing for 3D printing. Adding the lip in the CAD drawing before getting one printed, and then figuring out how to get them produced (either by 3D printing or creating a mold). Admittedly I don't know much about production/manufacturing. Maybe I will send Elon a tweet (kidding).

OK, send me your thoughts. Oh and nice meeting you all.

Reactions: ZeroG
I went for the 19" Gemini without covers. Comfort is another consideration that you missed.

I've been rocking naked Gemini's for the last 1000 miles :D (I'm on 1300 miles :D)

Do you know the comparison in range between naked Gemini and the upgraded wheels?

Hi All -

Long time reader, first time poster here....I am in love with my MY, recently drove it from North NJ to HHI, SC. One thing I went back and forth on when purchasing were the wheels. I have the base 19" Gemini with the ugly wheel covers. I told myself at time of purchase, they were better all season tires, probably slightly better for range (based on what I read), and cheaper to replace. So overall the 19" tires would lower the total cost of ownership. At the time, this made sense to me. Then Elon gave us all an extra 10 miles of range and mellowed out the regen braking. Boy did I have mixed feelings when that happened. Time heels all wounds, they say, and I am still in love.

Getting back on track, I have spent a LOT of time thinking about these wheel covers. I watch a LOT of tesla videos. Lucky for me, my wife is forgiving. Charging in HHI, I saw a MX with the WORST curb rash/wheel rash I have ever seen. This seems to be a pretty prevalent problem. Even I have a little rash. I was pissed that day...Don't get me started.

Ok, getting back on track, I had an idea I wanted to socialize. Not trying to make money here, so not really worried if someone wants to steel this idea and do it themselves (I will happily be a customer). So here it is, tell me what you think? Maybe we can make this together?

19" Gemini tires allegedly lose up to 7-8% of range (high speed) without the wheel covers (or so one tesla video says, you probably know the one I am talking about). So I prefer to keep the covers. Painting the covers, you still have the rim showing. Painting the rim is annoying and it will rub off. If you did want to do all of this, there are lots of videos from those who have, will take lots of time, lots of coats, and you will just have to do it again down the road. Beat up rims stand out. Sure you can get bands, and hopefully they don't fall off and do damage. Also, doing all this stuff adds up $$$ (so probably should have just gotten cooler wheels to start).

So what if....Yeah, I am finally getting there. there was a replacement wheel cover in the desired matte black finish that ALSO covered the rim? TaDa! that's the big idea, a freaken replacement wheel cover, that is the exact same as the current wheel cover BUT all matte black and with an added "lip" (of sorts) that would cover and protect the rim of the 19" Gemini.

I assume a lot of effort went into the design of the current cover, that is why I would want to keep it exactly the same. Just change the color and add something to also cover, and protect, the rim. My idea of how to do this would start by getting the current cover 3D scanned and made into a CAD drawing for 3D printing. Adding the lip in the CAD drawing before getting one printed, and then figuring out how to get them produced (either by 3D printing or creating a mold). Admittedly I don't know much about production/manufacturing. Maybe I will send Elon a tweet (kidding).

Maybe they’ll make a wrap for the Gemini covers just like this:

Optix Aero Wheel Precut Vinyl Wrap Graphic Overlay Kit Decal Compatible with and Fits Tesla Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020 - Gloss White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085LQZDL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_9E9-Fb69T4GPJ

I personally like it without the covers, rocking it in Satin Black powdercoat. Average 270 Wh/mile is good enough for me. 73E6F29D-4217-4B5F-8064-841BCE530C40.jpeg05E84E49-8D81-496A-8BF5-7138561F7DD9.jpeg

First thought: I don't think any wheel cover could possibly protect the alloy wheel from curb rash. The slightest contact with a curb would easily crush right through a wheel cover, unless the rim of the wheel cover is made of tungsten steel.

I went for the 19" Gemini without covers. Comfort is another consideration that you missed.

I've been rocking naked Gemini's for the last 1000 miles :D (I'm on 1300 miles :D)

Do you know the comparison in range between naked Gemini and the upgraded wheels?

Hey Pianeman - There are a few folks I have found that tested range w/ and w/o covers. While of course there are variables, at fast speeds it seems like about a 7% loss. Check this video out:

People do suggest the 19" tires make the car more comfortable to drive, although some say it isn't much different with the Y. Not sure I have seen a video where someone tried both sets on the same roads. Will have to poke around. But I have heard the same.

Maybe they’ll make a wrap for the Gemini covers just like this:

Optix Aero Wheel Precut Vinyl Wrap Graphic Overlay Kit Decal Compatible with and Fits Tesla Model 3 2017 2018 2019 2020 - Gloss White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085LQZDL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_9E9-Fb69T4GPJ

I personally like it without the covers, rocking it in Satin Black powdercoat. Average 270 Wh/mile is good enough for me.View attachment 626592View attachment 626593

They do look good, can't disagree with that!

If you get curb rash now, I assume the coat would rub off and show the silver color? Obviously I am sure you are vigilant.

First thought: I don't think any wheel cover could possibly protect the alloy wheel from curb rash. The slightest contact with a curb would easily crush right through a wheel cover, unless the rim of the wheel cover is made of tungsten steel.

Well the idea here would that there would be the plastic cover covering the rim. So hopefully any light contact by a curb would just mess up the plastic cover which hopefully is easily and inexpensively replaced.

I’m currently thinking of getting one of these wrap kits but I’m stumped with regards to the rim.

Model Y Aero Wheel Wrap

I’ve heard of some using 1/2 vinyl to wrap the rim (or even electric tape in the short term). I’m not finding any straight forward black rim protectors besides something like a set of AlloyGators. They are not too expensive but they just seem involved to install for someone who doesn’t have a jack and garage, etc.

Set Of Four AlloyGator Wheel Protectors - Protect Your Rims From Kerbing

Hi All -

There are black vinyl wraps for the wheel covers on Etsy. 68 bucks
You can just put electrical tape in the exposed wheel edges to make them disappear black. Easy on, easy to replace when tires get replaced.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
No you aren't. Superchargers (TM) are the trademarked name of the Tesla branded fast charging stations. There are CCS or CHAdeMO stations from many other charging companies. The answers to your questions are going to get confusing if you keep saying superchargers while not talking about Superchargers.

Rimetrix already created pretty cool cover for M3 and working on MY.
So if you can come up with nice design and still maintain some efficiency people will buy it.
Rimetrix looks like aftermarket wheel rather than hubcap.
View attachment 687540

View attachment 687542
I painted my wheels gloss black and calipers
Rimetrix already created pretty cool cover for M3 and working on MY.
So if you can come up with nice design and still maintain some efficiency people will buy it.
Rimetrix looks like aftermarket wheel rather than hubcap.
View attachment 687540

View attachment 687542
I've been running my Gemini wheels naked (painted gloss black with red calipers since about a month after I bought our Y last July. Love the look
9JmCxki.jpg

Recently we took our first LONG road trip (southern IL to southern MD); here's my efficiency usage for the entire trip
LM3NqDt.jpg

I was initially going to reinstall the Aero Caps but remembered how they left nicks and scratch marks on the Gemini wheels after only a month so I opted to leave them off. As you can I had pretty good wh/mi numbers for a road trip in HOT July temps.

Then I saw the RIMETRIX covers for the M3 and really liked the looks, so I signed up to be notified when the Model Y covers are available. I'll make up my mind when I see them. If I buy them it'll be a permanent installation as I'm sure they will damage the paint on my wheels. On the other hand, I may offer to exchange my painted wheel for some OEM silver wheels straight up to someone near me (no shipping).

Good looks, gaining some efficiency while offering some protection from curb rash are all bonuses. I'm hoping they look like the 20" Induction wheels.

Reactions: TiggerOC
I painted my wheels gloss black and calipers

I've been running my Gemini wheels naked (painted gloss black with red calipers since about a month after I bought our Y last July. Love the look
On the other hand, I may offer to exchange my painted wheel for some OEM silver wheels straight up to someone near me (no shipping).

Good looks, gaining some efficiency while offering some protection from curb rash are all bonuses. I'm hoping they look like the 20" Induction wheels.

I am close enough to trade with you if you ever want to get ride of the gloss black... I am picking up my Gemini's (stock color, currently with 2,000 miles) 2 weeks from now :)

Keith