Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wife called in a panic! I broke a wheel!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife called in a panic! While driving her 4-month-old MY, her rear wheels suddenly started to scream at her. She pulled into a parking lot and called me. When I arrived, I had her back up slowly to listen to any noise. Wow, it sounded almost as if one of the wheel bearings had disintegrated. I have attached (I hope) a video of the racket.

Long story really short, I removed the rear wheel and examined the brake. There were a few pieces of road-gravel wedged between the brake cover and the rotor. When the wheel rotated, the rocks would vibrate against the cover making all kinds of popping, grinding, and screeching sounds. If this happens to you, you might check the brakes before sending the car to the shop....could save you time and expense.

Attachments

• rotor shot.jpeg
    rotor shot.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 129
  • rock closeup.png
    rock closeup.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • rock measure.jpeg
    rock measure.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 113
Any damage to the brake disc?
No damage to the rotor that I could see with flashlight. The brake cover serves to protect the back side of the rotor. You have to flex the cover away from the rotor in order to dislodge the gravel. I had to flex it a number of times before rocks would finally fall to the bottom of the cover to be removed. Still only took about 5 minutes total.

Attachments

• brake cover.JPG
    brake cover.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: el-guapin