Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wife ran over a curb, and this plastic thing broke, any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife ran over a curb this morning, not sure how she did it, but she did. On the underside of the X on both the passenger side and the driver sided, are these long black plastic pieces that are held in by some type of screw or rivet. When my wife ran over the curb, the passenger side piece broke, and a few of the rivets fell out. Any idea what these things are, and how big of a deal this is? Pics attached.

I put a piece of tape on it just to keep it from hitting the ground temporarily, or it drops to hit the ground.

I got under the X and no other damage at all, no scratches or anything, looked like she just must have rubbed this plastic part on the curb. Wondering also if anyone knows if this is something I can fix myself, if so, where to get the rivets, or do I need to take this in to a service center?

Any help would be appreciated!
Pic 1.jpg

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 225
Let me tell you a story.

I got a loaner Tesla Model X for 3 days. These guys are great. When returned it, I went over it much more closely than when I picked it up. I found that panel missing completely. I couldn't imagine what had done it. I told the DS that I had just round that panel missing when I was moving stuff back into my car that I had left in their back lot for 3 days. He said that they are waiting for that part and that it's been missing for a few weeks.

In short, I might pull it off and see how it looks. I would absolutely ask about the cost of replacement, but I might weigh my options at that point and consider going without it if it cost too much. I went 3 days and didn't even notice it.

That might be common damage. When I got my New Inventory Model S with 8 miles on the odometer, the driver side piece was hanging and dragging on the road. Right at the rear of the driver door. It seemed to be in the middle of a longer piece.The SC fixed it immediately. since this was a brand new car. Mine appeared to have some of plastic bolts/plugs/clips missing, but it was hard to determine if that caused the plastic piece to get damaged, or the damage removed the clips. I wondered if it was damage from loading on and off the transporter.

Here is the photo

IMG_5340.jpg

Mine randomly fell a few months ago so bent it back upwards and the SC fixed it when I took it in for SC. They didn't charge for that piece.
But I did have to pay $50 to replace the rear plastic shield around the wheel after I got a flat tire. But that piece is falling off again.

Seems like just part of the whole air diffuser which everything is on the bottom. It isn't really that important but would impact mileage maybe. My concern with those pieces is that they add some protection from the elements to the pack above thus are important in that regard. Shouldn't be too much to replace, maybe $100-$200 plus a small amount of labor... (disclaimer though, this is Tesla)

Reactions: cybergates
Poor wives......we get blamed for so much on TMC. ;) running over curbs, wheel rash, picking the wrong color, parking in the wrong place, not letting you buy a Tesla. :rolleyes: Just tell her how wonderful she is for putting up with you.

I (a male, and a man) just ran over a curb in a parking lot yesterday. I had stopped to look at the map, then turned down the row and there was an island on the end of that row (out of sight at that point... why put a curb there IDK).

It was a double hammer, once coming off the front wheel (then thought it was over and kept driving) then again off the back wheel. I got out (fearing a possible fire if the battery was damaged) and I couldn't see a single thing wrong or even a scratch anywhere except a slight abrasion on the plastic trim you mentioned. Maybe because the curb was flat and the wheels cushioned the impact somewhat.

Never do this. Bad man!

On the lighter side, maybe I knocked off a few dendrites from the battery plates and I'll have better range now ;)

Those are there for exactly the thing your wife did, altho i dont know how "useful" they actually are. To the best of my knowledge those are there soley for the purpose off adding a layer of "protection" and are designed to break off to protect the rest of the car. The SC should easily fix. But id wait for the app update to make that scheduling easier since its a non priority fix. No harm being done. Altho i wouldnt recommend another curb check in current condition ;)