Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wife totaled my Tesla Model S last week (she is fine!).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most importantly, she is 100% ok. She feels terrible even though it was not her fault, she knows how much I love this car. Was run off the road (we believe unintentionally) by someone who fled the scene. 2014 Model S 85 with AP1.

There is a lot of information to take in with the update yesterday. On top of that, to be honest I have not been able to keep up with all the AP hardware and software changes over the last couple years either.

Insurance is covering everything and I am looking to get a new Tesla of course.

I was looking at the used market for a P100D, but I noticed some significant price changes today. Am I wrong in thinking the timing of this will actually work in our favor? It is kind of hard to gauge the sentiment here and over on reddit, am I missing something negative about the new cars I should be aware of? At this point it seems like a new car will be less expensive than a 1 year old car (2018), 5% more than a 2 year old car(2017), and 20% more than a 3 year old car (2016). This is based on the Tesla CPOs and used dealer cars I have been looking at over the last week.

I didn't care to buy a new car this time around, as I trust Tesla a bit more and hate the off the lot depreciation... but am I wrong in thinking I still should? I assume the used market might react at some point as well and drop?

Most importantly, she is 100% ok. She feels terrible even though it was not her fault, she knows how much I love this car. Was run off the road (we believe unintentionally) by someone who fled the scene. 2014 Model S 85 with AP1.

There is a lot of information to take in with the update yesterday. On top of that, to be honest I have not been able to keep up with all the AP hardware and software changes over the last couple years either.

Insurance is covering everything and I am looking to get a new Tesla of course.

I was looking at the used market for a P100D, but I noticed some significant price changes today. Am I wrong in thinking the timing of this will actually work in our favor? It is kind of hard to gauge the sentiment here and over on reddit, am I missing something negative about the new cars I should be aware of? At this point it seems like a new car will be less expensive than a 1 year old car (2018), 5% more than a 2 year old car(2017), and 20% more than a 3 year old car (2016). This is based on the Tesla CPOs and used dealer cars I have been looking at over the last week.

I didn't care to buy a new car this time around, as I trust Tesla a bit more and hate the off the lot depreciation... but am I wrong in thinking I still should? I assume the used market might react at some point as well and drop?

Glad to hear your wife is safe! You should get a good quality dash cam.

Right now is an awful time to buy a USED P100D and a great time to buy a NEW P100D. The top end P100D is now about $35,000 cheaper than it used to be at one point where the top trim used to cost around $160K.

If you buy a P100D used, don't pay more than $80K, as you can buy a new one for around $105K-$120K.

Glad to hear your wife is safe! You should get a good quality dash cam.

Right now is an awful time to buy a USED P100D and a great time to buy a NEW P100D. The top end P100D is now about $35,000 cheaper than it used to be at one point where the top trim used to cost around $160K.

If you buy a P100D used, don't pay more than $80K, as you can buy a new one for around $105K-$120K.

Thanks Phil, wanted to make sure I was understanding this correct, as it is not normal...

We actually had the dashcam conversation after this. It sounds like I can set something up with that if we get a new Tesla. Found this here:
How To Set Up The Dashcam In A Tesla Running Firmware v9.0 | CleanTechnica

I would wait a few weeks if you are looking to buy used, probably not feasible for you, but that's my thought. I suspect Tesla lowering their new pricing, will start to trickle it's way to the used market.

Having said that, I agree, great time to buy new.

Thanks Phil, wanted to make sure I was understanding this correct, as it is not normal...

We actually had the dashcam conversation after this. It sounds like I can set something up with that if we get a new Tesla. Found this here:
How To Set Up The Dashcam In A Tesla Running Firmware v9.0 | CleanTechnica

While the Tesla Dashcam is great, it is still not super high resolution.

You did mention the other car fled the scene so you need as much resolution as possible in a Dashcam so I would invest in a 4K dashcam so in a similar situation you have the best chance of identifying the perpetrator. And then I would still use the Tesla Dashcam as a backup and footage from the other angles.

Glad she is okay. I think it's a great time to lease. Get into a new car and let the dust settle on all the HW3, AP and Tesla changes in general. Plus the HOV stickers are only good for 3 + current year now (if that matters to you), which is why I switched over.

I assume you are in Laguna area @Randall? What road was the accident on?

@Zishan Thanks, I was considering seeing how long we could wait without use of that car. I assume the used market will fall at some point. Some of the dealers I have spoke with today have no interest so far.

@PhilDavid Good call. Do you use a 3rd party dashcam, and if so, do you mind me asking which one you use?

@SoCal Buzz Yes, Laguna Beach. Just north of Broadway(133) near Hill if you know the area. We assume it was a tourist, who then skipped town.

Right now is the worst time to shop for the used Tesla except like 2015 or 2016 lower end models (85, 90).
For now, either brand new model 3 performance version or cheaper brand new Model S Standard version will be enough to replace that 2014 AP1 Model S.
By the way, I'm glad that your wife is okay!