TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

My wife washed my key....

Discussion in 'Model X' started by kennybroh, Jul 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

Yes, that's what she did. Put a pair of shorts in the washing machine not realizing one of my Model X keys was in one of the pockets. Although it is presumably the cleanest Model X key around, it no longer works.

Is there anything i can do other than having her buy me a new one for my birthday which is next week?

• Disagree x 1
  2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Yes, take good care of your other fob.

3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Ooo. In my house stuff like this is the fault of whomever didn't clean their pockets out before putting their clothes in the hamper.

:p

Now, if I accidentally pick up a pair of shorts from my husbands "storage zone" to wash (the floor next to the bed), then I am responsible for the pocket checks.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 5
  4. brshoemak

brshoemak Member

^This. The first and last time I ever forgot to check a pair of my slacks for a pen was when I did a load where my wife also had a number of dresses and really nice work shirts in there. That came down squarely on my shoulders (and ears subsequently).

btw, how much does a new fob run?

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Yes, buy yourself a birthday [FOB] present and forget about blaming your wife.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. modelx007

modelx007 Member

Surprisingly a new FOB is about $100.

• Informative x 4
  7. ilovemycoffee

ilovemycoffee MS 85D HW1 Late 2015

I put my wife's fob through washer and the dryer. When I found it, I removed the batteries, and left it in a tub of uncooked rice for several days. Replaced the battery and it worked!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. EV Family

EV Family Like Tesla

That's amazing. Nissan told me a new Leaf fob would be $350!

9. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Shortly after I got married, I washed a bright red silk blouse in hot water and bleach. For the next 30 years, I've not had to share laundry duty. Cheapest silk blouse ever.

• Funny x 10
  10. Ames

Ames Member

Open it, remove the battery, let it dry out over a few days, put in a new battery...and if it still doesn't work you can pronounce it dead.

• Helpful x 1
  11. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Yeah, open up, remove batteries, stick, it in a bag of minute rice for a day. Or, if you have any left over packs of desiccant, from other electronics purchases, you can put the fob with a few packs of it in a bag too.

12. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

Actually, although these were undoubtedly in my "storage zone" because that's pretty much where all clothing I wear ends up, I didn't blame her, but she did feel somewhat responsible. If it's only $100 I have no intention of letting that be my birthday present!

• Like x 1
  13. kennybroh

kennybroh Member

That is otherwise known as strategic incompetence.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Welp. I washed my key yesterday. I'm hoping that maybe the silicone fob pocket kept it from getting too wet. When I opened it up the battery was hardly wet at all. It's currently drying out on the counter. Let's hope it works.

15. David99

David99 Active Member

I once was told a new key fob is $450. Since then I took care of my keys very well!

My daughter once washed and dried her Fuji instant camera with film and batteries in it. It still worked!

16. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

I replaced one for $59.00 last month.

• Informative x 1
  17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Rice it for 24 hours.

18. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Awesome. I don't think there would be a big difference between S and X keys, so hopefully $59 is my worst case scenario. I thought I saw that they have recently come way down, but I didn't suspect by that much.

19. halg

halg Member

My wife did the same. My key fob was washed and dried. When I realized I took the battery out and put it in a bag of raw rich, after couple days it works fine. I also have a key fob case, I think it helped a lot.

• Helpful x 1
  20. echin

echin Member

where do you get a key fob case?