Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My windshield wipers are autoing unnecessarily !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I'll search for similar posts when I get back from Home Depot, but I have to run now and didn't want to forget about this

Drove to Fort Worth and back last night and the wipers came on even though there was no rain for fifty miles. Had to switch TACC off to get them to stop which was probably just as annoying as I like to drive with my feet on the floor pan

Anyone else get this? (I bet the answer is yes) and is t something the dreaded SC can fix?

Sorry for not searching first, but I will later

I had a similar problem last month during the week after delivery, but only while on TACC.
I reset the software on arrival home, and put in a Service Request...and was texted back that this was a "known issue," and will be corrected.

No problems in the past month.

I think I just realised something: I knew the wipers go to Auto when TACC is on, but I noticed yesterday that a lot of roadsigns were very well lit up. At first I thought someone behind me had their Hi Beams on ... but I think it was probably me, because they also switch to Auto when TACC is on. I guess I should RTFM (again)

I can't stand people who drive with their Hi Beams on when it's not necessary ... or when it is, but doing so will blind other road users

Add me to the party of windshield wiper coming up uncontrollably. Today in NJ where it's bright and sunny with zero trace of rain drop, the windshield wiper came on frequently as if it's on drugs. Not sure what caused it but like the OP, I had to turn autopilot off in order to stop the wiper from obstructing my view.

Mine also come on with no rain plus sometimes don't come on in a light drizzle. Had to switch them from auto to manual. They have only been around for 20+ years; you would think they could get it right. Perhaps camera control doesn't work well for everything.

Today it got so bad where it was going near full speed wiping the window. I scheduled an appointment to have service look at this. I'm hoping they don't tell me it's a software issue that can be resolved with an update, I have driven 5 different Teslas and never had an issue with windshield wiper. If there was an issue, it was that the wiper wouldn't come on in the past, I'll rather have that problem because I can activate it manually, but I can't turn off the wiper when it goes on rampage.

Trying to make sense of this - I leave mine set to OFF all winter and use TACC all the time without wipers coming on. Is this just an issue for Tesla Vision cars? Mine's one of the early 2021s with radar, so maybe that's why I've been spared this headache.

Trying to make sense of this - I leave mine set to OFF all winter and use TACC all the time without wipers coming on. Is this just an issue for Tesla Vision cars? Mine's one of the early 2021s with radar, so maybe that's why I've been spared this headache.
I don't believe radar has anything to do with it. Our problem is tesla *senses* rain and activates wiper when there's NOTHING. Occasional turning on, I get it. But when the wipers are going non-stop when it's bright and sunny.......

I don't believe radar has anything to do with it. Our problem is tesla *senses* rain and activates wiper when there's NOTHING. Occasional turning on, I get it. But when the wipers are going non-stop when it's bright and sunny.......
That's exactly why I keep mine turned off all winter and just actuate manually when I know it's the right time. Auto wipers are a nice feature, and they work passably in summer conditions, but I don't feel bad about missing out on the automation in order to avoid the annoyance. I just don't understand the need to deactivate TACC to get the wipers to stop, when selecting them OFF would be a more logical alternative. That's why I wondered if this problem is peculiar to the camera-only configuration.

That's exactly why I keep mine turned off all winter and just actuate manually when I know it's the right time. Auto wipers are a nice feature, and they work passably in summer conditions, but I don't feel bad about missing out on the automation in order to avoid the annoyance. I just don't understand the need to deactivate TACC to get the wipers to stop, when selecting them OFF would be a more logical alternative. That's why I wondered if this problem is peculiar to the camera-only configuration.
Good points, auto wiper is required for my car to operate auto pilot or TACC, since it has to *SEE* in order to adjust speed unlike radar equipped cars.

Reactions: Pianewman
I've had this problem with other "auto wiper" systems - in both BMW and Acura cars. Both of which sometimes would just randomly do a couple of wipes when there's not a cloud in the sky. Not sure if this is specifically a Tesla bug.
My 2019 and 2021 model 3s which I drove for about 1 year each had occasional wiper activations and goes away immediately. But man, the 2022 tesla DOES NOT STOP. It's acting as if there's a downpour going on.

Good points, auto wiper is required for my car to operate auto pilot or TACC, since it has to *SEE* in order to adjust speed unlike radar equipped cars.
Thanks, that clears things up. My previous experience with ACC was Subaru Eyesight which also uses binocular cameras. That cruise control didn't care whether the wipers were operating or not, but in heavy precipitation it would turn itself off due to loss of visibility. Subaru took the same unfortunate approach as Tesla, not offering a simple fixed-speed control when full ACC was not available.

Reactions: hlin07
I've had my model 3 LR since 2020 and it just started doing this yesterday! Sunny day on highway, wipers going at high speed. After awhile it stopped. I thought it might have been due to some kind of radio interference. (Didn't make the connection w/ autopilot, but this may have been a factor...)

I've had my model 3 LR since 2020 and it just started doing this yesterday! Sunny day on highway, wipers going at high speed. After awhile it stopped. I thought it might have been due to some kind of radio interference. (Didn't make the connection w/ autopilot, but this may have been a factor...)

I've had this happen before. Pulled off at a rest stop and sure enough, there was a big bug splat in front of the windshield cameras. Cleaned it up and all was good.

In the Model 3 and Model Y, the wiper "sensor" is the set of cameras that look forward through the windshield.

Last edited:
I wish someone at Tesla would listen to some of us and do something about this issue. I didn’t not buy the car with AP. I do not want auto wipers. I do not want auto high beams. I want the functions that where on the car when I bought it. The car is more than capable of being used with some of the features manually and semi auto and auto. Don’t get me started on the phantom braking in my area! Trying to contact someone in customer service is a joke. Unless something changes soon I will be selling my Tesla and letting others know about my frustrations. Hopefully things turn around for the better.