Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Worst Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On June 13 my pristine 2016 MX with 18,000 mi, was rear ended on the GG Bridge. I braked for slow moving traffic, was hit by a pos pickup truck pushing me into the van in front of me. Six vehicles involved, fortunately no injuries and all were able to drive off the bridge. I got Blu back from the collision repair shop on August 17. I was expecting a three month repair, so not too bad. Worst part was, had to drive a BMW X3 for two months. Total repair was $19,500 plus rental and redoing the Opti-Coat Pro Plus treatment after the 30 day curing process. Still need to submit a Diminished Value claim and a claim for value of a like for like rental, probably a pipe dream. The major parts replaced were: both headlight assy $1125ea, hood (frunk) $910, front bumper cover $880, tailgate $940, rear bumper cover, upper and lower $440ea, plus numerous bits and pieces.

MX is still the greatest car out there. Drive Safely!

That's a huge bummer. Really feel for you!

California drivers are awful and it seems to be getting worse. I'm not even sure we can blame it all on cell phones.

not exclusive to CA. crappy drivers here too, and in texas, and basically everywhere i drive. But there seems to be a correlation between douchebaggery and pickup truck usage.

Have you folks had the pleasure of driving in NJ/Philly area? LOL
pleasure?

Been all over this country and it is a plague of horrible driving in this region:

Double parking, even when there are open parallel spots all down the street.

Blocking the Box, look aholes, you're not going to lose your place in line by waiting at the light for 40 seconds.

Driving up turn lanes or the wrong side of the road to cut back in at the front of the line.

Light turns red: 3 more cars go through and 5 cars turn left.

On ramp: Why the f-k do people stop on an on-ramp even when traffic is flowing fine?!? You just made it tougher to get on.

Left turns with no left turn lane: Hey maybe you should find a better way to get to work and not back up traffic.

Oh yea, when a car is off the side of the highway, you don't need to slow down to 20mph, you just created a 3 mile jam on the schuylkill.

Multi point, traffic blocking u-turns in the city. Hey, go around the block.

Course this is the #1 place for bicyclist/car deaths in the country... and the bicyclist is at fault half the time.

Last edited:
pleasure?

Been all over this country and it is a plague of horrible driving in this region:

Blocking the Box, look aholes, you're not going to lose your place in line by waiting at the light for 40 seconds.

Driving up turn lanes or the wrong side of the road to cut back in at the front of the line.

On ramp: Why the f-k do people stop on an on-ramp even when traffic is flowing fine?!? You just made it tougher to get on.

Left turns with no left turn lane: Hey maybe you should find a better way to get to work and not back up traffic.

Oh yea, when a car is off the side of the highway, you don't need to slow down to 20mph, you just created a 3 mile jam on the schuylkill.

Sounds like fun!:p:D:rolleyes:

I have driven all of this country and EU. Worst drivers, Boston, by a large margin.

Aaah cmon, we're wicked drivers.......aggressive as all get up, but technically very skilled. You may not like the speeding, tailgating or light jumping but no one rides black ice, hydroplanes the torrential rain or turns into a skid on any surface condition better than a Bostonian. Who needs all weather tires when you're a Bostonian. And how about those perfect parallel park jobs? We also use blinkers and horns, problem? ;) Lol

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and jboy210
pleasure?

Course this is the #1 place for bicyclist/car deaths in the country... and the bicyclist is at fault half the time.

The worst is that even if you're on the Schuylkill during "off peak" hours, there will most likely be construction down to a single lane so you'll be delayed for an hour+. I've been burned so many times coming home from Flyers/Sixers games...

Aaah cmon, we're wicked drivers.......aggressive as all get up, but technically very skilled. You may not like the speeding, tailgating or light jumping but no one rides black ice, hydroplanes the torrential rain or turns into a skid on any surface condition better than a Bostonian. Who needs all weather tires when you're a Bostonian. And how about those perfect parallel park jobs? We also use blinkers and horns, problem? ;) Lol

You described it well. I have been driving there since the early 80s. Going under the old tunnels a friend told me the best thing to do was to wave your rental agreement and yell "It's a rental". Otherwise Boston drives would cut you off for sport. He was right!

The worst is that even if you're on the Schuylkill during "off peak" hours, there will most likely be construction down to a single lane so you'll be delayed for an hour+. I've been burned so many times coming home from Flyers/Sixers games...
Back roads!
I know property is tight, but when I first moved here I had to ask loudly....
How can they have 5 lanes all merging into 2 lanes in a half mile and think this will work???
(Talking about the City ave merge/unmerge with the schuylkill)
Or
How can you have the major highway right through downtown (676) crush down to 1 single lane and merge with the Schuylkill?

Reactions: Spelly88
If they refuse to reimburse you for the car rental bill, this should be a pretty straightforward small claims matter.

And definitely go after them for diminished value. You are probably owed nearly $10K in diminished value. If they drag their feet, get an attorney and go after them for back pain too, if you suffer any back pain from the accident.

The best way to deal with DBs who cause accidents is to make them pay... Hopefully when their insurance cost goes up, that will get them to adjust their behavior. Did the driver not get a traffic citation for reckless driving?

Just received $25,000+ for accident on GG Bridge in June 2018. Rear ended and pushed into car in front. About $20K to repair, paid by my Ins Co. Filed DV claim against at fault insurer 12/18 asking for $50K ($500/day for like rental plus DV of $22K). After getting nowhere. Hired DV attorney 8/19. Of course he gets 33% of the $25K, but I still feel like I came out whole on the deal.

Just received $25,000+ for accident on GG Bridge in June 2018. Rear ended and pushed into car in front. About $20K to repair, paid by my Ins Co. Filed DV claim against at fault insurer 12/18 asking for $50K ($500/day for like rental plus DV of $22K). After getting nowhere. Hired DV attorney 8/19. Of course he gets 33% of the $25K, but I still feel like I came out whole on the deal.

Still driving the same X?

Yep. 2016 Nov build. 36K miles. Will probably trade-in for Raven X before warranty runs out.

Cool - if you're in a 2016, does that mean you're looking at something soon, or going to try and hold off to see what (if anything) Tesla has in store?

And, I'm sure you're going to be asked about who your DV attorney was :p

I'll wait until the warranty runs out, try to save the cost of the extended warranty. Unless.......there's word of a new improved Raven in the works.
Here's the info on the DV attorney I used:
Sami Goel | The Goel Firm P.C.
Attorney

433 North Camden Drive
Suite 600
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Tel: 424.281.4377