TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My wrap paid for itself...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ferrett, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

I got my whole MX wrapped 2 months ago and since then, my passenger door got scratched (scratch and run) with a 3" line of red paint and just 2 days ago, a few rocks hit and scratched the hood. There is a ding there but I believe all the scratches can be removed. The 3" red paint just got cleaned up by a 1 minute buff.

Wow!

2. sinhcredible

sinhcredible Member

3. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

The red paint is completely removed. These are the rock scratches that a re-wrap will take care of.
    Unfortunately, the ding, I don't think it's removable...

[​IMG] The red paint isn't there anymore

4. number12

number12 Member

If you have to re wrap for paint scratches then it doesn't pay for itself. Jk sounds like it was worth it wherever you are driving.

• Funny x 2
  5. outie

outie Member

In addition, if it costs/ $5k+/- for the wrap, it'd take 5k of paint repairs to consider it paying itself, no? This damage can be repaired for under 1k.

6. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Wraps are expensive and over rated. Not knocking you because you must have felt it was worth it but this is just my personal opinion. $5k buys a lot of dent and paint repairs..

7. number12

number12 Member

I have come to the conclusion I am going to let me local guy put 3M pro on critical spots for $600-800 including back of seats and call it a day.. Paint repair can not cost that much.

Now those that get it for the change in looks or chrome delete I understand

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The front hood would probably be less $500 to replace. What would a similar repair job be? I have hit my doors and rear hatch on various items in my garage (at least 12-15 times) so far. I think I would have had quite a few scratches by now.

9. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

What wrap did you get? Expel has warranty if a rock chip gets through, they re-do for free. The other things should self-heal, no? Apply some heat like a hairdryer to speed up the healing process...

10. No2DinosaurFuel

Just rewrap it yourself. It is not that bad. Cost is around 300 for a sheet large enough. Other material cost is around $50 total. Those shops are charging an arm and a leg IMO.

11. pjotr

pjotr Member

If yours is a full body vinyl wrap, have you had any problems with the FWD?

12. EVS Motors

EVS Motors Vendor

Paint Protection Film pays for its self over and over again if you get the good stuff. Cheap wraps can turn yellow and be very difficult to remove if damaged. We actually offer our own lifetime warrenty for the PPF we install so that you can get the clear bra replaced every time damages like this happen. I would HIGHLY recommending getting the car wrapped before you even take it out for a drive!

Wrapping the backs of seats in MX is what most owners do aswell. Great for kids and gives piece of mind.