Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My X after 60 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Submitted by Isaac on January 12, 2018
I purchased my Tesla X (7 seat configuration) on December 1st 2017. Tesla made two iterations of the X in 2017 (more about those differences later)

Pros are:
Falcon doors are super cool and my kids love them especially in front of their friends. The doors open/close automatically. Turning on the heat from the app- never have to get into a cold car again. The cruise control feature of the Auto-pilot (maintaining speeds,braking etc)works very well. Summons your car is really cool but not sure how often i will use it. Service department staff are very responsive.

Cons:
The battery range feature on the car assumes you are standing still. If you are driving in cold weather, above speeds of 50 mph, have the heat or air on etc the range will drop significantly. Many on this forum seem to have known this from reading the manual but i would never have imagined how inaccurate the range is.
I didn't read the manual before i bought the car but did a lot of research and watched many review videos on you tube, read articles etc. I would have assumed that Tesla would provide a mileage range under NORMAL driving conditions. If you have heated seats, playing the radio, really cold conditions, highway speeds, the range will be closer 125 miles. If you are okay on average with a range of about 180 miles then this is a non-issue for you but don't expect anywhere near the 290 suggested range.

My car has been in the shop 3x for the same issue. there is a significant vibration in the steering wheel off the line and at higher speeds. At first Tesla suggested they balance the tires. Problem was not resolved. They then replaced all of the half-shafts. Problem not resolved. i just received a call from service (they have my car now for the 3rd time) and they want to replace the half-shafts again. They also took the car on a significant road test and are trying to repair numerous rattles throughout the falcon doors and windows. All of the other CONS I posted are manageable but this issue is a disaster for me and make the car a nightmare to drive.

Now to the 7 seat configuration. The earlier part of 2017's version of the 7 seater came with electric rear seats. this clearly made it simple for anyone looking to access the 3rd row. it also came with Ventilated seats which are definitely needed with such a large front windshield. The sun can heat up the car even in cold conditions so i cant imagine how hot it must get in the summer.
The cars delivered after August of 2017. Tesla changed the electric rear seats and eliminated the ventilated seats. The rear seats are now manual and are very challenging to adjust. There was absolutely no way of knowing about this change from their web site or anywhere else. The research that i had completed on the 2017 X all showed the earlier model year version.

Driving the car in reverse has also been a learning curve. If you are trying to reverse through a difficult spot (and cant rely on just the cameras) the car will automatically put itself in Park. Meaning if you reverse the old fashion way by turning around and lifting up a bit, the seat sensors think your falling out of the car and will pop the car from the reverse position to Park position.

The streaming radio is very inconsistent and continuously goes in and out. The only good way to listen to music is from your smart phone but even that is a challenge. The car will not read your playlists or control the music. (It will allow you to skip to the next song.) You will need to control nearly everything else from your phone.

The self driving mode is really awesome but at times you need to give the steering wheel a pretty firm turn in order for the car to release from auto-pilot. Can be pretty dangerous.

Finally, I own many cars in this price range but never expected such poor quality from this car and my experience has been really bad. Many on this forum have attacked me for stating my personal experience and I am unsure as to why but this has been my true experience. i will also post a private chat which will go to Tesla owners only so they can finally see that i am an owner and not simply someone trolling and attacking Tesla. I am also a Tesla stock holder and would love to see these improvements made.

Submitted by Isaac on January 12, 2018
I purchased my Tesla X (7 seat configuration) on December 1st 2017. Tesla made two iterations of the X in 2017 (more about those differences later)

Pros are:
Falcon doors are super cool and my kids love them especially in front of their friends. The doors open/close automatically. Turning on the heat from the app- never have to get into a cold car again. The cruise control feature of the Auto-pilot (maintaining speeds,braking etc)works very well. Summons your car is really cool but not sure how often i will use it. Service department staff are very responsive.

Cons:
The battery range feature on the car assumes you are standing still. If you are driving in cold weather, above speeds of 50 mph, have the heat or air on etc the range will drop significantly. Many on this forum seem to have known this from reading the manual but i would never have imagined how inaccurate the range is.
I didn't read the manual before i bought the car but did a lot of research and watched many review videos on you tube, read articles etc. I would have assumed that Tesla would provide a mileage range under NORMAL driving conditions. If you have heated seats, playing the radio, really cold conditions, highway speeds, the range will be closer 125 miles. If you are okay on average with a range of about 180 miles then this is a non-issue for you but don't expect anywhere near the 290 suggested range.

My car has been in the shop 3x for the same issue. there is a significant vibration in the steering wheel off the line and at higher speeds. At first Tesla suggested they balance the tires. Problem was not resolved. They then replaced all of the half-shafts. Problem not resolved. i just received a call from service (they have my car now for the 3rd time) and they want to replace the half-shafts again. They also took the car on a significant road test and are trying to repair numerous rattles throughout the falcon doors and windows. All of the other CONS I posted are manageable but this issue is a disaster for me and make the car a nightmare to drive.

Now to the 7 seat configuration. The earlier part of 2017's version of the 7 seater came with electric rear seats. this clearly made it simple for anyone looking to access the 3rd row. it also came with Ventilated seats which are definitely needed with such a large front windshield. The sun can heat up the car even in cold conditions so i cant imagine how hot it must get in the summer.
The cars delivered after August of 2017. Tesla changed the electric rear seats and eliminated the ventilated seats. The rear seats are now manual and are very challenging to adjust. There was absolutely no way of knowing about this change from their web site or anywhere else. The research that i had completed on the 2017 X all showed the earlier model year version.

Driving the car in reverse has also been a learning curve. If you are trying to reverse through a difficult spot (and cant rely on just the cameras) the car will automatically put itself in Park. Meaning if you reverse the old fashion way by turning around and lifting up a bit, the seat sensors think your falling out of the car and will pop the car from the reverse position to Park position.

The streaming radio is very inconsistent and continuously goes in and out. The only good way to listen to music is from your smart phone but even that is a challenge. The car will not read your playlists or control the music. (It will allow you to skip to the next song.) You will need to control nearly everything else from your phone.

The self driving mode is really awesome but at times you need to give the steering wheel a pretty firm turn in order for the car to release from auto-pilot. Can be pretty dangerous.

Finally, I own many cars in this price range but never expected such poor quality from this car and my experience has been really bad. Many on this forum have attacked me for stating my personal experience and I am unsure as to why but this has been my true experience. i will also post a private chat which will go to Tesla owners only so they can finally see that i am an owner and not simply someone trolling and attacking Tesla. I am also a Tesla stock holder and would love to see these improvements made.

Thanks for sharing. I agree Tesla has a lot of issues and poor quality for the money. It’s hard to express your feelings here though because many people over look the flaws because it’s a Tesla. It’s great driving an EV with this kind of performance but I shouldn’t have to lower my quality expectations. These cars cost a lot and everything about them should be in line with the cost.

Seriously?, most threads on this site are complaints....NOT all but a good portion of them.

Not necessarily. Most threads I see are people sharing information about their vehicles or asking fellow owners questions. I agree that there is a fair share of complaints but as a company Tesla probably wants to see some of them. That’s how they improve their vehicles and their customer service. What I was trying to say in the statement you quoted was that there are a lot of people that like to bash anyone that complains about their issues with their vehicles.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Seriously?, most threads on this site are complaints....NOT all but a good portion of them.

I took delivery of a Model X 75D in July. I had one issue with the keyfobs no longer working after a firmware update but that's been about it. I don't really feel the need to post on the forum how trouble free and awesome my car has been.

Most posts are negative because someone is looking for a place to get advice and to vent.

I don't think Tesla has an overall quality issue. I think they have a consistency issue. They seems to produce some really flawless cars and some really flawed cars. That's what they really need to solve.

I ordered my Model X Dec 2017 and the car's status is still waiting to get into production. Estimated deliver time is late Feb or early March.

My neighbor got his Model X Nov 2017, he told me the car has been in service center 3 times already.
(broken glass, driver door won't open, then the most recent one is the back seat issue, he is still driving the loaner model S now)

My neighbor's comment is that people are willing to support Tesla(Elon Musk). But just talking about quality for the money, it is not good.

I am crossing my fingers...

The reason I ordered the car after almost 2 years of first production of model X, is that I am hoping they improve the quality over the time. But it seems it is not there yet?

I am still very excited waiting for the car delivery, but also somewhat worried,

I feel there is a need to defend Tesla. I took delivery of P100D X in Feb ‘17 and my son received his S in December.
My only issue has been the key fob. The other fob works, so that’s a suppliers issue. Other than that the car has been perfect.
The car has been in South Dakota for the last month and when it is -25 F and driving into a 40 mph headwind, better figure 2 battery miles per mile traveled. Hey; spring is coming,,,
My son’s issue has been the plug and Tesla is fixing. He traded for the four wheel drive and really likes the S.
I wouldn’t complain if there were issues, as I had the faith and bought the stock early on.

I ordered my Model X Dec 2017 and the car's status is still waiting to get into production. Estimated deliver time is late Feb or early March.

My neighbor got his Model X Nov 2017, he told me the car has been in service center 3 times already.
(broken glass, driver door won't open, then the most recent one is the back seat issue, he is still driving the loaner model S now)

My neighbor's comment is that people are willing to support Tesla(Elon Musk). But just talking about quality for the money, it is not good.

The reason I ordered the car after almost 2 years of first production of model X, is that I am hoping they improve the quality over the time. But it seems it is not there yet?

I am still very excited waiting for the car delivery, but also somewhat worried,

yea, sorry to hear about the problems with your X but it's a given that most people who are happy with their X aren't posting about how happy they are vs people venting about problems. This is typical for any forum

is there not a way for Tesla to just replace your X with another one instead of trying to fix the same one repeatedly?

Tesla does not just "replace" a car. One needs to go through a re-purchase by Tesla and (optionally) order a new car. Two separate transactions if you do move forward with the re-purchase. They don't care if you buy a new Tesla or not. However, they are willing to make some goodwills if you do order a new Tesla. For example, keeping the old car until the new one arrives.

Now in order for a re-purchase to go through it needs to be have some lemon-qualifying issues. This is different state to state.

Update from a new Tesla owner.

I posted on Jan 26th in this thread. My Model X delivered on March 13th. The car is doing well, although we have not explored many features yet.

But today my wife found the passenger side window refused to close. It was raining at that time and it was pretty stressful. I googled at home afterwards, someone said it needs recalibration. I called Tesla, they said someone will come to me to take a look. It is Saturday, so I need to wait until Monday or Tuesday, and make an appointment with their mobile technician.

They do not recommend me to send the car to their service center, as the waiting time in service center is about a week.

I guess my journey with Tesla has started.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Why is it an enthusiasts site is a “fanboy” site and actually what’s wrong with fanboys?

I’m a fanboy of many things Nissan, Nikon and now Tesla to name a few and whilst I’m super defensive of these brands I’m also their biggest critic because I want them to be the best.

The fact that our expectations are so high makes the smallest of defects all so much more disappointing but my current car which I’ve had just under two years has a series of issues one of which they just don’t seem to know the cause or fix.

2years on and my cameras randomly don’t work and more recently my stop start doesn’t work and my drivers seat has become loose which is an interesting feeling when breaking hard.

I hope all all the issues you guys got get sorted but from what I’ve heard I’m sure Tesla will sort you guys out :)