Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y losing 3% battery every night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help, I've got an electron leak!

I updated to 48.30 about two weeks ago, and every night since I've been losing about 3% battery. I am guessing the car is getting woken up overnight, as in the morning when I go to check the app/widget the new/lower battery % is already updated before the "Waking up..." message completes.

I've ruled out the following frequent culprits:
  • I've never connected any 3P apps/services
  • I tried force closing the Tesla app and shutting my phone down overnight (only device the Tesla app is connected to)
  • Summon Stand By is off
  • Sentry Mode is off
  • Car is in a garage which a consistent temperature of 50 to 56 F
  • I've tried soft restart (steering wheel buttons) twice, no effect
Any ideas how to debug? Anyone else seeing this?

I've put in a Service Request hoping the Tesla folks can look at logs, but they're booked out many weeks and I'm guessing they don't look at my ticket until closer to the appointment time.

I updated to 48.30 about two weeks ago, and every night since I've been losing about 3% battery. I am guessing the car is getting woken up overnight, as in the morning when I go to check the app/widget the new/lower battery % is already updated before the "Waking up..." message completes.

I've ruled out the following frequent culprits:
  • I've never connected any 3P apps/services
  • I tried force closing the Tesla app and shutting my phone down overnight (only device the Tesla app is connected to)
  • Summon Stand By is off
  • Sentry Mode is off
  • Car is in a garage which a consistent temperature of 50 to 56 F
  • I've tried soft restart (steering wheel buttons) twice, no effect

I've put in a Service Request hoping the Tesla folks can look at logs, but they're booked out many weeks and I'm guessing they don't look at my ticket until closer to the appointment time.

Do you have scheduled departure set? Take a look at climate settings in the car i.e. the Fan icon there is a new option for Scheduled Departure i.e. it will pre-condition the car when it is set

• Helpful
Reactions: Spaceosaurus

I updated to 48.30 about two weeks ago, and every night since I've been losing about 3% battery.

Dumb questions. How are you measuring this battery loss? I typically only look at the range number and am not seeing the drop that you are describing. In fact, I am not seeing a drop at all. I try to keep the MY between 40% and 60% (approximately 130 to 195 miles of range. A 3% drop of 4 miles nightly would be very noticeable when I don't drive for several consecutive days.

FWIW, my MY is on 48.30 as well. I don't do anything special after I park the car in the garage and head upstairs into out townhome. I here a beep when I move out of Bluetooth range and the car seemingly shuts down. The app still shows as being connected for the most part.

I have a 2021 MY (VIN82XXX). I have no issues with battery drain at all. I plug in with a target SOC to 80% every night. In the am, and actually most of the day when I'm not driving, SOC doesn't lose more than 1%. I have scheduled charging on, not scheduled departure. No sentry mode on at home. Garage parked. 50ish degrees consistently. I do have TeslaFi, but that doesn't seem to having any effect whatsoever. I don't sign into app after arriving home. I rarely check TeslFi (probably going to cancel--no value).

There were a number of threads about this 1-2 years ago. One guy came back and said that a random software update fixed finally fixed it (after 12 months).

I have the same issue. After recent update my car wakes up 4-5 times throughout the day and I keep losing the battery % on a rate of 4-5% as well. I have used a TezLabs to put the car in the deep sleep many times before and I never had an issue, now I will put the car in deep sleep and it will wake up 3-4 hours later.

OP has mentioned most of the vampire drain causes, though have seen older 3P apps being forgotten. Best way to reset all apps using token or pw is change you tesla account password. My suspicion would be older app not allowing car to sleep

if that doesnt help, then service help and debugging reqd.

Thank you everyone for your help! I looked into everything everyone mentioned, and I have a winner:

Do you have scheduled departure set? Take a look at climate settings in the car i.e. the Fan icon there is a new option for Scheduled Departure i.e. it will pre-condition the car when it is set

Yup, me being an idiot. Scheduled Departure was turned off in charging, but the 48.30 update was the first one with the new UI for me. Old UI made precondition clearly attached to Scheduled Charging. The new UI only shows it under the fan icon. Sure enough, precondition was still on and would wake my car up each morning while off the charger.

Thank you for all your help!!