Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y won't charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Y decided to not charge yesterday or today. I have the big white 220v. wall charger that shows power to it (lower green light on the bar is on). Tried removing the plug a few times, no difference. When I press 'Start Charging' on the iOS app it says "Start Charging failed. Charging already requested. Check your vehicle for details" What?? I have no schedules setup. I went in the car and looked all around the display for 'details'. None. What kind of request is the thing talking about? What could be preventing a charge? I did replace my home wireless router recently. Might that be it? I can't see how to access the charger's network to update this.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to charge through the app? It should start charging when you plug it in. Have you tried the mobile connector that came with your car in a simple 120v outlet to see if it will charge that way (albeit very slowly?). What color is the tesla logo near the charge port when you plug it in? The different colors tell you different things. Green means it is charging -- what color is it? Have you tried taking your car to a public charger such as a supercharger to see if the problem is confined to your wall connector?

Good ideas, thanks. No, I'm not trying to charge from the app although there is a selection for that. Just checking the status. Notice says "Wall Charger needs Service". I rebooted it. No difference. Now I see a software update is taking place, on the Tesla I suppose. Waiting for that to finish, will try again....

Oh, and the logo color at the port and the indicator on the wall charger is blue.

Last edited:
Well, I've wasted my whole ****imng morning on this crap. Software update is done. My iPhone will not connect to the wall charger unit even though it sees it is on the available network list. But that is not necessary for the car to charge. On the Tesla screen, it shows the wall unit network. But the charger still shows the blue light, meaning the charger and car are not connected. No worky...

Entering http://192.168.92.1 in the browser takes you nowhere, either on my phone or my iMac.

Trying again to connect to the wall unit network. Phone will not. Car asks for the password, which I think is the lower code after the WPA2. Does not work. Still I don't think I need to connect to it. When I press the button on the plug it opens the charge port, so aren't the car and charger talking? What a mess....

Attachments

• wall-network.jpg
    wall-network.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Well, I've wasted my whole ****imng morning on this crap. Software update is done. My iPhone will not connect to the wall charger unit even though it sees it is on the available network list. But that is not necessary for the car to charge. On the Tesla screen, it shows the wall unit network. But the charger still shows the blue light, meaning the charger and car are not connected. No worky...

Entering http://192.168.92.1 in the browser takes you nowhere, either on my phone or my iMac.
I had problems connecting to home charger from my iphone when setting it up. Worked from an ipad. Turn the breaker off or hold down the button on the plug end of the charger for 10 secs. Green lights should flash and then can connect to the address, maybe. You may try your phone in airplane mode as well, read that works sometimes.

Reactions: JGhere
I had problems connecting to home charger from my iphone when setting it up. Worked from an ipad. Turn the breaker off or hold down the button on the plug end of the charger for 10 secs. Green lights should flash and then can connect to the address, maybe. You may try your phone in airplane mode as well, read that works sometimes.
I did the breaker thing again. The rest of this is voodoo. But I tried it. Will not charge, will not allow a connection to the charger's network. Maybe it's broken?