TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mykita Glasses

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Zextraterrestrial, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Zextraterrestrial

#1 Zextraterrestrial, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Does anyone own/know anything about mykita glasses?

I tried on a pair in Cancun and they were really comfy and super lightweight + my wife said they looked awesome on me. Kindof expensive (7500 pesos in Cancun/~$360 on amazon) but handmade in Berlin
    I am wondering how durable they are if anyone knows

Seem like they'd go well with a Tesla

thanks

2. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

#2 Lawsteve, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I bought a pair while in San Francisco three years ago. Mine have titanium frames and have been very durable (they get used a lot down here in sunny Florida). The hinge design on mine is interesting, as it used the flex of the metal rather than the traditional groove hinge with a screw through it. Fewer parts to break or fall out.

They are probably the most comfortable sunglasses I have ever owned. Unfortunately the most expensive too.

3. Zextraterrestrial

Are you sure they aren't stainless steel? I tried on the franz f9 and thought they were Ti since they are so light but they are SS
    which model did you get? I think they are all hingeless, which is pretty neat
    how scratch resistant are they?

thanks

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Looking at the website, it appears that Mykita glasses have almost no hook behind the ears. I had a pair like that and they fell off every time I looked down. They also kept slipping down my nose.

5. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

i don't think my model is made now. Close to the "Rolf" model on the website. You are correct re stainless steel. Was thinking of my titanium Maui Jim's. No scratches so far, but I keep them in the case when not wearing them.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the model. Mine have a gradual hook. They are so light, and fit firmly on your head, that I have never had a slipping problem. I have had that problem in the past when the glasses have heavy lenses, but not with the Mykitas.

6. Voice_on_tape

Voice_on_tape New Member

I own quite a few pairs of Mykita glasses. The older ones I have, have only a small curve behind the ear; however the newer pairs have a different temple that can be completely bent/adjusted by an optician to fit perfectly to your face. I used to wear ic Berlin and they would fall off my face when I tried to tie my shoes. It drove me nuts! I switched to Mykita and have never looked back. To OP yes Mykita is a perfect match for Tesla

7. JST

JST Active Member

That's funny--just ordered a pair yesterday. Loved how lightweight they are, and they felt very comfortable. Can't speak to durability yet, obviously, but the salesman's demo of pulling them basically flat and letting them spring back into shape was pretty impressive.

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I own a pair and my owns two. They are expensive but very nice.

9. JST

JST Active Member

Hmm. So, about two years later I can speak to durability. They broke--the stainless steel hinge piece on the temple just snapped off. I'm pretty unimpressed, considering that the durability of the hinge was the primary selling point.