Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR 19' tire wearing extremely fast, just 1 month 1k miles later???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of MY 9/30, just over a month ago, with about 1100 miles on it. Sent it to service center for some minor alignment adjustment last week and found out the tire treads are 6 in the front and 7 in the back!

I drive very conservatively in chill mode almost all the time. How can it wear out SO fast and it's brand new? I looked up new tire tread depth should be 9/32.

Any thoughts and should I open another service ticket?

Is Tesla known to deliver car with alignment off?
Also it shows equal reading on inside/center/outside of all 4 tires (6 across in the front, 7 across in the back). And it just got returned from the service center where the measurements were from but they didn't note any potential problem, was it because I didn't mention the wheel alignment problem (because I didn't know until I got it back) and therefore they didn't even check?

Is Tesla known to deliver car with alignment off?
It has been known to happen. New vehicles from any manufacturer can be slightly out of alignment at delivery and you would not notice any problem when driving. After several thousand miles you might find unexpected tire wear.

Since the Model Y has rear-biased RWD in most cases the rear tires wear faster than the front tires. The fact that the front tires are wearing faster than the rear tires indicates that there is an issue either with the alignment or with the tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: chyuan and mrwug
If both fronts and rears wear equal and symmetrically like that, I doubt alignment is the issue. At what pressure have you been running at?
I have not checked tire pressure myself since it's only been a month. I did need to visit America's Tire store just 10 days after delivery due to nail in the tire and they checked tire pressure all around and it's only been less a month since.

I just re-read the invoice and I feel like dumb, it gave measurement in mm instead of in the 32nd inch, so 6 and 7mm actually translates to 8/32" and almost 9/32" which is like new 🤣 sorry about all the confusion but thanks for all the input, I'll still watch for the front/back difference to see if things change going forward, but I would hope rotating the tire regularly would help balance them anyway (Tesla recommends rotation @6250 miles).

Thanks again all!

• Funny
Reactions: acatwith12