Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR all season tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced my two rear OEM tyres (Pilot 4 sport) with the all season CrossClimate 2 earlier this month. So far so good, and much cheaper than the replacement Pilot 4 Sports I was getting quotes for.
I believe the issue is specifically for MY as per the title, as it seems the 19" gemini specs (255/45/19/104/Y) don't exist as all-season

I believe the issue is specifically for MY as per the title, as it seems the 19" gemini specs (255/45/19/104/Y) don't exist as all-season
Uh, there are quite a few available as all-season in that size......
Our offer for 255/45 R19 GAN

In reality, the speed rating is largely irrelevant for the UK, as even the "H" rating is for up to 130mph, and all the tyres shown are H or above for speed. Load rating is far more important, and the Goodyears are the only ones which DON'T meet it.

Reactions: Pandinium
This is a Q as old as time. I remember heated discussions on this on piston heads every year. 😂

Tyre speed ratings are purely about the friction a tyre can withstand for sustained periods of time at their maximum load rate. Nothing more.

Despite what a handful of tyre places say (certain kwikfit store for example), because they’re being overly cautious, you can legally use lower speed rating tyres as long as you don’t exceed the speed rating on the roads (who’s doing 130mph on any of our roads especially in winter conditions). I.e don’t drop 5 levels, but 1 or 2 for winter tyres is fine - we’re all meant to drive slower in winter conditions anyway.

The caveat is: you absolutely need to check if your insurer cares. Because it can invalidate your insurance. Some do, some don’t. There is a list here. Most of the time I just tell mine I’m switching to winter wheels and tyres for ~5 months which are the correct size (and more importantly load rating) and they rarely care, but it pays to check.

Last edited:
Been struggling to find Cross Climates 2 in stock for the Model Y (255, 45, R19) for our Christmas trip to Europe next week.
Was going to chance it with the stock Summer Tyres; however last year in our Model 3, 3cm of snow was enough to leave us spinning high and dry (Notably they were Pilot Sport 4's vs Hankook Evo 3') so I'm not sure I want to risk it on our way to North Germany.

Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF2 has been popping up as an alternative. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Been struggling to find Cross Climates 2 in stock for the Model Y (255, 45, R19) for our Christmas trip to Europe next week.
Was going to chance it with the stock Summer Tyres; however last year in our Model 3, 3cm of snow was enough to leave us spinning high and dry (Notably they were Pilot Sport 4's vs Hankook Evo 3') so I'm not sure I want to risk it on our way to North Germany.

Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF2 has been popping up as an alternative. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Try ATS Euromaster for cross climate 2 suv. I had them fitted 4 weeks ago.

Reactions: Arran
As the CrossClimate are rated H for speed vs the Y rated stock ones do you have any concern having them fitted all year long? They are below the car top speed so wondering if it might also be an insurance issue…

As the CrossClimate are rated H for speed vs the Y rated stock ones do you have any concern having them fitted all year long? They are below the car top speed so wondering if it might also be an insurance issue…
My insurance was ok. They would not payout if I claimed when doing 130mph so the fact that the car top speed is a theoretical 135mph is of no consequence.

@Yachtsman, have you noticed any significant drop in efficiency with the CC2's. I'm really considering them (the new CC2 SUV) for our new MYLR.
Hi, no no noticeable difference in range, noticeably quieter and while not testing them to their limits, excellent grip in both the wet and dry.
Certainly my first choice when I come to replace them. I’ve covered 13300 miles on them & expecting at least another 1300 before replacing them. I have only assessed the tread depth by feel not a gauge!

Just an update for other TMC users. Booked 4 x CrossClimates for installtion this morning with ATS. Arrived to be told that they're a shortage on these tyres, with no stock expected until the first week of Janurary... now onto finding alternatives

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Just an update for other TMC users. Booked 4 x CrossClimates for installtion this morning with ATS. Arrived to be told that they're a shortage on these tyres, with no stock expected until the first week of Janurary... now onto finding alternatives
Glad I got them 2 weeks ago. There was bound to be a rush once the media started on their "we're all going to be snowed in" annual bad news.