Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Delivery Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my VIN 8/2, scheduled delivery for 8/5. Figured out financing and insurance only for Tesla to contact me today saying that my delivery date is being pushed back a week to 8/12 due to a need for "comprehensive inspection". Upon further questioning, there was damage to the front bumper during transport and they need 1-2 weeks to replace it.

Couple questions:
- Could damage like this cause other problems in the car? Like alignment or something else?
- Would you guys accept a car that was already damaged like this and bumper replaced?

Thank you in advance. Really bummed out but wondering if this is as big a deal as it seems.

Attachments

• MYLR Front Bumper Scratch - Imgur.jpg
    MYLR Front Bumper Scratch - Imgur.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 208
Looks like it is a scratch on some hard surface. I don’t believe it would affect any internal components but may need to watch out for any sensors related issues going forward (but they should be covered by warranty).
If they have this car to me as-is, I will reject the delivery. If they replace the front bumper, I would take it.

To be honest, if they didn’t tell you the whole story, and just replace the bumper, you would not know the issue. However, I am sure the owner might have some uneasy feeling knowing the car has scratches even taking the ownership.

My front bumper was damaged on my 2020 Y back in July 2020. I was called the night before my delivery and the SA told me they had already ordered a new bumper and I had two options:
1. Delay my delivery until it arrived and was installed
2. Take delivery and bring the car back when it came in.

I asked how serious it was and all he could say is it was noticed in Chicago when it was transferred from a train to a car carrier en route to St Louis, but that the call he received claimed it wasn't bad. So I went ahead with my delivery the next day and to be honest if they hadn't said anything I probably never would have noticed the crack in the lower corner or the air intake.

But because of that, I think they treated me like royalty and FIXED every little defect I could find.

Looks like a puncture below the scratch. Guess is that it happened while parked so I would not think alignment would be an issue. I would make sure there is no damage underneath.

If it were me I would still take it if no additional damage. If it were another panel that required repainting I’m not sure.