Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Delivery Date Delayed 3+ Months...Beyond the WIndow of a New Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most delivery estimates they are giving to new customers are a straight up lie.

Most people that ordered a long range in March 2022 (including me) have still not gotten their Tesla.

They are 8+ months behind.

Chances are if you order now, it will say initially Dec 2022, then slowly get pushed towards June 2023 over the coming weeks.

It’s a bold strategy on their part…

Reactions: randmness

Most people that ordered a long range in March 2022 (including me) have still not gotten their Tesla.

Chances are if you order now, it will say initially Dec 2022, then slowly get pushed towards June 2023 over the coming weeks.

I don’t think it’s a lie. It seems demand has disappeared. I ordered 3/1/2022 and I was given an actual date weeks ago when they wanted me to accept delivery. I declined and asked for a later date. My EDD is currently 12/1-12/31.
There are even inventory MYLR available here in the Bay Area. 10 of them last I checked.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

Bold = surprised the class action lawsuits haven't popped up yet

I don’t think it’s a lie. It seems demand has disappeared. I ordered 3/1/2022 and I was given an actual date weeks ago when they wanted me to accept delivery. I declined and asked for a later date. My EDD is currently 12/1-12/31.
There are even inventory MYLR available here in the Bay Area. 10 of them last I checked.

Agree. Tesla did their best to provide accurate delivery times when demand was spiking and Supply chair issues with parts are changing constantly. Demand was super high in mid 21 - mid 22. Lots of flippers were placing orders which has backfired for them recently, and Tesla doesn’t allow selling reservations (a great thing IMO).

Then add there is a lot of other EV’s on the market now to choose from other MFG’s (Ford, Kia/Hyundai, VW, Chevy, Volvo, Porsche, Audi + a slue of others coming soon). Plus, all the FOMO has disappeared, unsustainably demand, increasing interest rates and 2023 IRA BILL EV credit.

Now we will get back to a new norm quickly.

The current December estimate is just to cover them pushing cars on people as other people delay come December.

But there certainly has been a big shift in Supply v Demand. Every day I check New Inventory in BC it is anywhere from 25-30 new 2022 and 2023 MY ready to be bought. And in Canada we have no tax credit coming so people aren't delaying because of that. Up until about a month ago there had never been a new car in inventory for the past 7 months when I started checking.

I waited 7.5months but someone can buy my exact spec (2023) today out of new inventory in Vancouver. I paid $10K less but that is a moot point for anyone wanting to buy now.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The current December estimate is just to cover them pushing cars on people as other people delay come December.

But there certainly has been a big shift in Supply v Demand. Every day I check New Inventory in BC it is anywhere from 25-30 new 2022 and 2023 MY ready to be bought. And in Canada we have no tax credit coming so people aren't delaying because of that. Up until about a month ago there had never been a new car in inventory for the past 7 months when I started checking.

I waited 7.5months but someone can buy my exact spec (2023) today out of new inventory in Vancouver. I paid $10K less but that is a moot point for anyone wanting to buy now.

I think when people see they can get a car (according to their website) in as little as 4 weeks, they aren’t going to pay $10,000 more for the demo vehicle.

My brother has the same long range Y on order as of May 2022 (6 months ago), and his eta is mid-January.

So he should cancel and reorder now in November, since he’ll get it sooner….right…?!

I think when people see they can get a car (according to their website) in as little as 4 weeks, they aren’t going to pay $10,000 more for the demo vehicle.

My brother has the same long range Y on order as of May 2022 (6 months ago), and his eta is mid-January.

So he should cancel and reorder now in November, since he’ll get it sooner….right…?!
With a May order you are paying less than a new order. Decision to delay would only be to get tax credit. But the MY will likely only qualify for 1/2 the credit ($3750). The MYLR increased by $3000 in June. So it is probably a $750 difference if one's income qualifies for the tax credit. You also would lose the $250 order fee. I wouldn't cancel a May order and order now. I might consider taking a new car out of inventory now. Depending if $1000 matters or not. If I had a June 15th or later order I would cancel and buy out of new inventory if a car matching what I wanted was sitting there if I didn't qualify for the credit.

The inventory cars (most of them) in my area are not Demo cars. These are brand new with only delivery miles on them. There are a few demo ones with 500km or less on them. You pay the exact same for a new order on the website as you do for a non-demo new car out of inventory. The inventory one should be delivered right away. A new November order will likely be into 2023.

Yea, I'm not sure what is going on TBH. I ordered a MSM LR5/Black interior (basically the cheapest LRY you could order) and my EDD is Dec 2022; my reservation price is about $7K less than the current price. I'm guessing if I were in Tesla's shoes, with weakening demand, I would try to deliver as many newer reservations (at the higher price), over older reservations at the lower price. I'm guessing folks that have been waiting 9+ months are more likely to buy the car whenever it comes, over newer reservations, so why not push those reservations out.

Last edited:
I get that Delivery windows change due to myriad circumstances. Frustrating, but OK. My December delivery just moved to March - May. Pisser.

Here's the thing: I can order the exact same model/specs new on the site now and have a stated delivery window of December - March.

Anybody have any experience / thoughts?

Thanks
I read elsewhere that it is common for the EDD to briefly get the "new order" date before quickly adjusting to the real date which should be much closer. I'm no expert with insight to the Tesla mind, but you may find that the true EDD will soon change to within the next two weeks.

Yea, I'm not sure what is going on TBH. I ordered a MSM LR5/Black interior (basically the cheapest LRY you could order) and my EDD is Dec 2022; my reservation price is about $7K less than the current price. I'm guessing if I were in Tesla's shoes, with weakening demand, I would try to deliver as many newer reservations (at the higher price), over older reservations at the lower price. I'm guessing folks that have been waiting 9+ months are more likely to buy the car whenever it comes, over newer reservations, so why not push those reservations out.
I do wish this was the case, as I'm not interested in taking delivery in 2022.

I read elsewhere that it is common for the EDD to briefly get the "new order" date before quickly adjusting to the real date which should be much closer. I'm no expert with insight to the Tesla mind, but you may find that the true EDD will soon change to within the next two weeks.
This is definitely the majority. This was at least my experience back in May time frame. Went from August/Sept to getting the actual car in Nov.