Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Delivery day - Front Door needs to be slammed to shut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was assigned 2023 VIN from Austin and my delivery day was yesterday. Everything was good except for the front doors. Door doesn't close properly unless you really slam it. Sales Advisor said that it is due to frameless window design. We were skeptical and asked him to show another vehicle to compare door closing. He showed us a model inside the showroom. Door closed by itself by just flicking a finger. So it was definitely not because of frameless design. Me and my wife discussed and decided to reject the delivery. The reason being that Sales advisor was not very positive that it can be fixed even if we raise a SR. He kept insisting that it is normal and raising SR trying to fix could worsen the issues. We were not comfortable with that and rejected it. So now the order is on HOLD until 12/5. Fingers crossed and waiting for the next VIN and hoping for the best.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
With new factory seals the doors Will be tight. In a short matter of time they will loosen up as many have reported. It’s not a spec thing it’s a new seal delivered after freezing dilevery transport thing.

I know many people say this, including my SA and Tesla Service people, but after 1.5 years my doors all close slightly differently and the seals never loosened up. They behave the exact same as they did the day I took delivery. My driver's side door closes the best, the but front passenger door needs a slam. Also the "sound" of the door closing is pretty lame. Not at all sounding like a "luxury" vehicle from other manufacturers. Tesla has work to do for sure on this. They aren't too bad - not worth it for me to ask for service and risk it getting even worse, but still, sometimes my kids have to slam the doors and I worry the glass is going to break one of these days...

Reactions: karthikeya
Driver's door on my Austin build Model Y LR needs to slammed shut HARD to close. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times to close it properly. Closing from inside is particularly difficult bec you cannot slam it as hard as you can from outside. And it's only the driver's door that has the issue. The other doors work normally as you would expect.

It has gotten better in the one week since I picked up the car so it might be OK after the seals compress more but I have an appointment for the service center next Sunday. My friend's Austin build picked up a few days before does not have this issue at all.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Driver's door on my Austin build Model Y LR needs to slammed shut HARD to close. Sometimes it takes 2-3 times to close it properly. Closing from inside is particularly difficult bec you cannot slam it as hard as you can from outside. And it's only the driver's door that has the issue. The other doors work normally as you would expect.

It has gotten better in the one week since I picked up the car so it might be OK after the seals compress more but I have an appointment for the service center next Sunday. My friend's Austin build picked up a few days before does not have this issue at all.
Not saying it’s not a problem but the latch bar is 2 screws. Would take you maybe 2 minutes to adjust it. Betting less time then going to an appointment anyway.

yeah, not acceptable for 70k+ car. My friend was dropping me at the shop and he has a CRV, closes much smoother.
Who cares if its a 70K+ car or not, the value of a car doesn't make the issue more or less real. The door just needs to be aligned, it's not a big issue. Though that SA who tried to pass it off as in spec needs to be dealt with.

Hell my first WRX, I remember cuz it was a my first car purchase at 22, the drivers door never closed right. I don't need to go oh damn Subaru, or its a 25K car dammit. Know what I mean?

Not saying it’s not a problem but the latch bar is 2 screws. Would take you maybe 2 minutes to adjust it. Betting less time then going to an appointment anyway.
That's a good suggestion to save a trip and time but I watched this Youtube video and they are T45 screws and I also need a torque wrench neither of which I have. Also, I am not sure if the issue is the catch or the latch on the door. I do believe something needs to be adjusted given how badly off it seems to be.

I figure the techs have seen this many times before and will know what needs to be adjusted. Also, this is my first Tesla so this is an educational experience for me to understand how Tesla's service appointment process works. I am happy they are open on Sunday at 8:30 AM. That is very convenient for me, hopefully they can resolve it in 30 minutes and I will be on my way.

Reactions: thesmokingman
Who cares if its a 70K+ car or not, the value of a car doesn't make the issue more or less real. The door just needs to be aligned, it's not a big issue. Though that SA who tried to pass it off as in spec needs to be dealt with.

Hell my first WRX, I remember cuz it was a my first car purchase at 22, the drivers door never closed right. I don't need to go oh damn Subaru, or its a 25K car dammit. Know what I mean?
Mis-aligned doors are sort of common on new cars. I experienced it on a '95 Toyota Camry. Dealer fixed it and it was not an issue again. Hopefully will have the same experience here. Other than this issue, I am enjoying my Austin build Model Y.

Mis-aligned doors are sort of common on new cars. I experienced it on a '95 Toyota Camry. Dealer fixed it and it was not an issue again. Hopefully will have the same experience here. Other than this issue, I am enjoying my Austin build Model Y.
You mentioned your door was tight to close not miss aligned. If tight you simply adjust the bar latch no need to a torque wrench.

That's a good suggestion to save a trip and time but I watched this Youtube video and they are T45 screws and I also need a torque wrench neither of which I have. Also, I am not sure if the issue is the catch or the latch on the door. I do believe something needs to be adjusted given how badly off it seems to be.

I figure the techs have seen this many times before and will know what needs to be adjusted. Also, this is my first Tesla so this is an educational experience for me to understand how Tesla's service appointment process works. I am happy they are open on Sunday at 8:30 AM. That is very convenient for me, hopefully they can resolve it in 30 minutes and I will be on my way.
Omg, that is too hard!

I'm glad he didn't have to use a sledgehammer. /s

Sledgehammer... inside joke from another complainer thread, who remembers that one?

Reactions: Yelobird
When we first received our Tesla Y two weeks ago, we had the same issue. It did get better after a week, we aren't really having the issue anymore. We noticed it at the time of delivery and SA said it is due to the seals needing to be loosened up.
I'm kinda in that mode now, so thanks for the advice. I do however notice that looking from the rear to the front of the car from both sides, I can see where the door does protrude a slight bit about mid-height; i.e. I can run hand/finger along doors back to front and feel the edge of the door compared to rear fender mostly in the middle. Not near as much at top or bottom. Not saying doors are bowed, but maybe the seals are pushing out at the point, or there may be some adjustment for that? The raised edge so to speak is not much, but you can see visually, and for sure feel it.