Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR delivery declined-no pre-delivery interior inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered MYLR on 3/4 and received a VIN and just a couple of days later a delivery date of 3/11. I'm in South Florida and was told the car was in Orlando. It had not shown up in inventory a day before but it was built 2/14. I asked if there were any problems on file and although told "no" I was a little suspicious. Today i went for my delivery and the first thing I learned was I could not inspect the inside of the car before accepting delivery. Not what I'd expect but at least I could do a thorough external inspection. First the rear left door had polishing compound or wax stuck to the door and the door handle. Minor but I wondered if the door had been repainted and so had to be buffed and waxed. Next through the passenger front window I could see a fairly large stain on the front seat. Still I reasoned that still could be cleaned after delivery. Not a deal breaker. Then I came around the front of the car. First I noticed the Frunk was out of alignment. Clearly off to one side. Then I realized the front cap itself was out of alignment. Off to one side and higher than the door on one side and lower on the other. So I declined delivery and are now waiting for a new VIN number to be assigned. So the infamous fit and finish problems are still cropping up in mid March 2021. Still shaking my head over not being allowed to inspect the interior prior to accepting delivery.

Has anyone else had issues inspecting the interior of the car before accepting delivery? I'm hoping to be able to take a look at the exterior and interior before accepting my delivery (whenever the time comes).

I ordered MYLR on 3/4 and received a VIN and just a couple of days later a delivery date of 3/11. I'm in South Florida and was told the car was in Orlando. It had not shown up in inventory a day before but it was built 2/14. I asked if there were any problems on file and although told "no" I was a little suspicious. Today i went for my delivery and the first thing I learned was I could not inspect the inside of the car before accepting delivery. Not what I'd expect but at least I could do a thorough external inspection. First the rear left door had polishing compound or wax stuck to the door and the door handle. Minor but I wondered if the door had been repainted and so had to be buffed and waxed. Next through the passenger front window I could see a fairly large stain on the front seat. Still I reasoned that still could be cleaned after delivery. Not a deal breaker. Then I came around the front of the car. First I noticed the Frunk was out of alignment. Clearly off to one side. Then I realized the front cap itself was out of alignment. Off to one side and higher than the door on one side and lower on the other. So I declined delivery and are now waiting for a new VIN number to be assigned. So the infamous fit and finish problems are still cropping up in mid March 2021. Still shaking my head over not being allowed to inspect the interior prior to accepting delivery.
I think you did the right thing by rejecting the vehicle. Interior damage noted at or shortly after delivery is one of the most difficult to get Tesla to acknowledge and correct. Common interior issues include hand prints, dirt on the head liner. This can usually be cleaned. Damaged or poorly fitted interior plastic panels can be easily replaced. After delivery proving that there was existing damage to the polyurethane seat covering or the steering wheel is hard to prove; Tesla has not been willing to address. A CSI-level stain on the passenger seat is beyond reasonable.

Has anyone else had issues inspecting the interior of the car before accepting delivery? I'm hoping to be able to take a look at the exterior and interior before accepting my delivery (whenever the time comes).

Curious about this as well. I am picking up in St. Louis end of next week. Spoke to an advisor yesterday and he said the process was something about "accept delivery" on your phone via the WEBSITE first, then on your next APP logoff/logon the new car will show up and you can unlock, etc. The part I was not clear on (after i got off the phone) is can they unlock it before accepting delivery on the website. @ratsbew , are you picking up early next week maybe?

I haven't heard of people not being allowed to inspect the interior before accepting the car. Is this a new policy, or is it just Florida, since most of y'all walk around unmasked?
I took delivery of my SRMY on Feb. 26th in Coral Gables, Florida. I wasn't able to unlock the car until I accepted delivery on the website. The delivery was intended to be totally touchless, however, I had to go into the showroom to ask someone how to accept delivery.

No way would I accept delivery until the whole vehicle is inspected. I refused delivery in August because the build had so many issues it wasn't even passable as a vehicle. I also had to be rematched twice since moving forward Feb 20th with an order- I wanted the new console and other upgrades that were not on the vehicles. Hoping this weekend I finally accept a MY LR and will definitely not take delivery until all of the car is inspected. Good luck to everyone.

If you take a home delivery I believe you have no choice (have to "accept delivery" first to open the door), especially if it is contactless and no one is there (documents and keycards left inside car).

There is no consistent policy for delivery at the delivery center however. When I took delivery last year, I had contactless delivery and I had to accept delivery on the app/website before I could open the door of my Model 3. I did ask the reps there (but did not insist) and they said the same thing. Someone in the other thread mentioned however at the same delivery center they were able to inspect the inside of the car before accepting delivery. However, they had not paid for the car yet in full and when they got there the rep have not put the paperwork and keycards in the car yet.

The gist I get however is that if you insist on it, the reps can let you inspect the inside. Especially if you haven't paid for it yet (only have $100 deposit). Probably helps to get there before your appointment and before the rep have even put the paperwork and keycards in the car (so they have to go to the car with you and open it put it inside anyways). Or as mentioned above, make it clear that you want to do so before you get there.

I ordered MYLR on 3/4 and received a VIN and just a couple of days later a delivery date of 3/11.

So the infamous fit and finish problems are still cropping up in mid March 2021. Still shaking my head over not being allowed to inspect the interior prior to accepting delivery.

What was the VIN range of the car you rejected?

I wouldn't say fit & finish problems are still cropping up in mid-March, at least with "current" builds. It sounds like they tried to sell you an "older" Feb build Model Y, rather than an early March build that have been popping up lately. Then you would have a 139xxx or higher VIN.

Thanks all. The VIN # was 5YJYGDEE2MF124XXX I am going to insist on a full inspection prior to accepting the car. They already have my $5,000 deposit but they would have to refund it if I chose to walk (which I don't want to).

...and some of us do walk around wearing masks in Florida :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: DeenDeluxe

I spoke to my delivery coordinator yesterday... She said the car would be locked but they could unlock it so I could inspect it prior to making my final payment and accepting delivery. To her the idea of spending that much without being able to inspect it first was insane.

I'm scheduled to pick it up on Thursday but since it'll be there Sunday or Monday, she said I may get it as early as Tuesday.