Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Delivery Experience - Bay Area - Nov 22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I thought I share my delivery experience of our MY and the current open issues with said car.

We're located in the Bay Area as a reference point. We placed the order through the website, never spoke to an SA until 2-3 days prior to the delivery for finalization of documentation.

We placed our order in the middle of May this year. We experienced the standard ping-pong delivery dates. It went as far as Feb 2023 and as close as July 2022. On 10/31 we received our 2 weeks window. That night/morning (Around 1AM), we received our VIN and a 1 week delivery window. Around 10AM on 11/1, we received a set delivery schedule of 11/3 without any ability to change said date. That night, the delivery method got auto set to home delivery with no option for local pickup. The Fremont plant who was hosting the delivery is only 12 miles away from our home.

Given that I didn't want to use Tesla's financing options, I had 2-3 days to shop and lock a rate in with someone else. That in itself was a race against time, speaking to reps, getting documents over. Literally got the copy of the check sent over to Tesla 1 hour before the set delivery time. Spoiler, they delayed the delivery by 4 hours and we will get to the "why".

Come to delivery time (Today in the afternoon), 2 delivery team members parked the car in front of our house as requested. One was a trainee the other was the "veteran" but have only done 15 or so delivery under his belt. He did say that Tesla is hiring like mad and doing a lot of deliveries. The 2 of them are targeting 15 deliveries per day (Combined). Today, their team was scheduled to do 200 deliveries around the Bay Area.

During the standard exterior inspection using a list I found online, right away my wife spotted 3 dings/scratches. The worse one was actually on the rear trunk area where the performance spoiler would normally be (We got the LR model). The other 2 were located on the frunk hood and the last one being on the lower rear left passenger door. I didn't mind that one but the frunk chip and the rear trunk chip was bothering me.

I asked the delivery team members if this was normal and they said this was the worse chip they've seen and it's definitely not normal. They told me that they submitted a ticket to their manager already and that I should complain and create a ticket. This was also why they were late because they are also the team that helps clean the car and report any issues. Regarding day of delivery issue, the only way to open a ticket is for you to accept the car first...I tried pinging our SA that emailed me and texted me regarding the documentation but she was not responding. Spoke it over to my wife and decided to roll the dice, accept the car and see how it is dealing with Tesla's service center (Not looking forward to it based on what I've read so far, haha)

I also called the main Tesla number and they suggested the same thing. So we are now booked for next week to take car in for service review. We still have 2 other cars to drive around in so we're in no rush but it's unfortunate that the car was dinged up right out of the gate. It's not a lambo or any other exotics, I know, but when you wait for this long, there's some connection based on the unrealistic image that you create throughout said waiting period, lol.

Regarding rejecting deliveries, I honestly don't even know how to go about doing that either. Maybe I am supposed to call and tell them that I wanted to reject it but for a company that relies on their app and/or website, they make it rather hard to review your options. The last step to accept is literally to view, then to click accept. I'm assuming it's in their best interest to NOT make it easy to reject cars, so yah, if you have more patience than I do, maybe you can wait it out.

The rest of the car is alright, the checklist helps a lot so I highly suggest folks that care about this stuff print out a copy and go through it with someone that have good eyes for details. I don't but my wife does, haha.

We found a couple of other issues that we have added to the ticket for our scheduled service next week. So far, the list is below:
  1. Chip on the rear spoiler area
  2. Scratch on the frunk area
  3. Scratch on the rear lower left passenger door
  4. Chip inside the inner door of the rear left passenger area
  5. Oxidation on the rear left tail lights
  6. Sticker (?) left on the passenger side pillar (I didn't want to try to remove it because it looks pretty stuck on there, not sure?)
  7. Rear right passenger hook clip won't lock/close 100% of the time
Honestly, it's not too bad and we know that the car will likely get owned by mother nature or us as we drive it but we will try to see if Tesla will try to resolve these issues or not before trying to figure it out ourselves.

The good news is, like many of you, we were able to pick up a car that we have been looking forward to for the longest but I also wanted to share our initial experience thus far versus just venting. I will of course update this thread as we progress through with the after delivery service team.

To those that have read this far, thank you and apologies for the brain dumping, haha. I shared some pictures of the dings for those that are interested.

IMG_6939.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpg
    IMG_6949.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 769
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG

As for point no.5 pretty sure that is "normal" for tesla, talked to the service on chat says rear light ventilated, give it an hr or so it will goes away, which it did goes away multiple times, usually after car wash or really misty morning.

View attachment 871024View attachment 871023

As for point no.5 pretty sure that is "normal" for tesla, talked to the service on chat says rear light ventilated, give it an hr or so it will goes away, which it did goes away multiple times, usually after car wash or really misty morning.
Really? that's interesting. Thanks for the info. We'll still bring it up during our visit and see what's up. Will report back.

Oh also, this was item on the check list so we assumed it wasn't normal.

Reactions: RICHARD HARTER
Really? that's interesting. Thanks for the info. We'll still bring it up during our visit and see what's up. Will report back.

Oh also, this was item on the check list so we assumed it wasn't normal.
I m not sure about model Y tailight construction variants of the new vs the old, but for S the older lights its not normal to have particles inside, but the new one are "normal" eventho across industry its absolutely not normal on any cars. Honestly the vibe i get is that if it got worst they will just send the mobile team to replace the tailight, which is pretty normal operation haha.

I m not sure about model Y tailight construction variants of the new vs the old, but for S the older lights its not normal to have particles inside, but the new one are "normal" eventho across industry its absolutely not normal on any cars. Honestly the vibe i get is that if it got worst they will just send the mobile team to replace the tailight, which is pretty normal operation haha.
Oh yah, it could just be an old checklist, lol. Could also be something that they say is normal just to pass on the liability. The weird thing is, my right tails are just fine, no oxidation although it's not flushed/even like the oxidizing one on the left. I guess I have to pick one or the other, haha

Other than the trunk lid chip the others seem more like adhesive gunk, have you tired a bit of finger nail on one of them. The B pillar camera glue/adhesive shouldn’t happen like that, concerns me that at some point it might UN-adhese enough to change it’s position and of course not be able to calibrate correctly.

#5 doesn’t’ seem like it should be able to occur that quickly, without a lot of UV exposure. It could just be different batches that have some slight variation. Blame it on supply chain.

Other than the trunk lid chip the others seem more like adhesive gunk, have you tired a bit of finger nail on one of them. The B pillar camera glue/adhesive shouldn’t happen like that, concerns me that at some point it might UN-adhese enough to change it’s position and of course not be able to calibrate correctly.

#5 doesn’t’ seem like it should be able to occur that quickly, without a lot of UV exposure. It could just be different batches that have some slight variation. Blame it on supply chain.
Yah, the frunk one is a definite chip, I can feel it dip.

That B pillar camera is indeed weird. I'm not sure if it's like a sticker I can just remove or what. Seems like their stickers (The blue tape) is super stuck on there so I didn't want to try prying it myself without an SA there confirming what it's supposed and not supposed to look like. The other pillar looks great.

Yah, 5 was concerning to us because it started on just the light that was on the trunk side, then when we moved the car in, it was showing on the light that was on the rear bumper side.

Nonetheless it's a gamble either way. I know there are folks that likely rejected their car for less than this but I don't even know how the next car will be and I'm not really a gambling man, lol.

When I got my Model 3 in 2018 first one taillight then the other got condensation in them. Both were quickly replaced.
Ah nice. Tesla just updated the ticket and gave me a $0 balance invoice/estimate so we're locked in to visit their service center in Fremont on the 9th. Let's see what they will be able to do and/or not do regarding those open items.

Up to this point, the process has been different but manageable. I'm just fearing some of the horror stories folks have shared regarding their exp with Tesla's service center.

I feel your pain. We refused delivery of our MYP a few months back because of a dent in the driver door and chips in the paint. 3 weeks later we took delivery of a new one, which also had some scratches and a bunch of bubbles in the paint around the trunk. It's taken ages to get it to the point where we could get an appointment to get it fix. It involved us taking it to the body shop for them to look over and estimate. There were some smaller issues, like tiny white spots in the paint, that Tesla said they wouldn't even bother fixing. The additional annoyance is that when the car does go in for these repairs, they won't guarantee a loaner car, so you are most likely stuck with Uber credits.

Yah, the frunk one is a definite chip, I can feel it dip.

That B pillar camera is indeed weird. I'm not sure if it's like a sticker I can just remove or what. Seems like their stickers (The blue tape) is super stuck on there so I didn't want to try prying it myself without an SA there confirming what it's supposed and not supposed to look like. The other pillar looks great.

Yah, 5 was concerning to us because it started on just the light that was on the trunk side, then when we moved the car in, it was showing on the light that was on the rear bumper side.

Nonetheless it's a gamble either way. I know there are folks that likely rejected their car for less than this but I don't even know how the next car will be and I'm not really a gambling man, lol.
okay for #5 did you mean to write CONDENSATION And not OXIDATION?

As for the pillar camera, I think that is INSIDE the B pillar frosting inside the glass. If it is OUTSIDE (again, finger nail will tell) then it could just be scrapped away. My concern is that there is a ring adhesive around the non-frosted section (where the camera sees out) and that ring adhesive isn't as adhered as normal. It didn't sit right or was applied before the frosting was fixed.

okay for #5 did you mean to write CONDENSATION And not OXIDATION?

As for the pillar camera, I think that is INSIDE the B pillar frosting inside the glass. If it is OUTSIDE (again, finger nail will tell) then it could just be scrapped away. My concern is that there is a ring adhesive around the non-frosted section (where the camera sees out) and that ring adhesive isn't as adhered as normal. It didn't sit right or was applied before the frosting was fixed.
haha, yah, you're right. Since I'm new, doesn't look like I can edit my posting?

I think it's outside because I can feel the bubble being pressed down but either the angle or something makes it also look like it's part of the inside. One to find out is for me to just try peeling it but I rather wait for the SA.

I feel your pain. We refused delivery of our MYP a few months back because of a dent in the driver door and chips in the paint. 3 weeks later we took delivery of a new one, which also had some scratches and a bunch of bubbles in the paint around the trunk. It's taken ages to get it to the point where we could get an appointment to get it fix. It involved us taking it to the body shop for them to look over and estimate. There were some smaller issues, like tiny white spots in the paint, that Tesla said they wouldn't even bother fixing. The additional annoyance is that when the car does go in for these repairs, they won't guarantee a loaner car, so you are most likely stuck with Uber credits.
Yah, if it was a dent, I would for sure decline but chips, I will likely add some new ones when I drive it down to the service center, haha.

It's weird that it's always a variable that we, the customer have to inspect and then decide what our tolerance level is. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do this with any of the cars I purchased before (new).

So are you still waiting or is everything squared away?

Yah, if it was a dent, I would for sure decline but chips, I will likely add some new ones when I drive it down to the service center, haha.

It's weird that it's always a variable that we, the customer have to inspect and then decide what our tolerance level is. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do this with any of the cars I purchased before (new).

So are you still waiting or is everything squared away?
I'm still waiting. I had to delay the appointment because I need a part for my S so I can drive it, that the service center keep delaying... I can't be without both cars.

Ah nice. Tesla just updated the ticket and gave me a $0 balance invoice/estimate so we're locked in to visit their service center in Fremont on the 9th. Let's see what they will be able to do and/or not do regarding those open items.

Up to this point, the process has been different but manageable. I'm just fearing some of the horror stories folks have shared regarding their exp with Tesla's service center.
I picked up my Y last weekend at Vallejo. I accepted the car and well the auto pilot and everything related doesn’t work. I have a ticket within the app. I’ve read the same horror stories and dreading my visit on the 8th. There also was some sticky residue on my car too and some on the back of the head rest. Mainly though my issue is hardware/software that is interfering with the auto pilot stuff.

I picked up my Y last weekend at Vallejo. I accepted the car and well the auto pilot and everything related doesn’t work. I have a ticket within the app. I’ve read the same horror stories and dreading my visit on the 8th. There also was some sticky residue on my car too and some on the back of the head rest. Mainly though my issue is hardware/software that is interfering with the auto pilot stuff.
Yeah, whatever stickies they use is pretty hardcore. We also had the same sticky stuff but luckily I have a bunch of car detailing gear that was able to remove them. Also, whatever detailer or spray they use left a weird residue too, had to wipe all that off.

I actually have not tried auto pilot so will likely need to do that before thinking all is well. Good point.