Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR goes right on highway entrance lanes on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An annoyance that is getting dangerous sometimes is that when my car is on autopilot in the outside lane of a highway, it goes right when the highway entrance lane marker ends and the lane gets "wide". The car veers right, and then goes left as the lane returns to normal width. The same type of behavior happens when one reaches a passing lane on the highway. The lane goes wide, and then after a few hundred feet, the new lane marker starts for the new passing lane and the tesla then veers left to put itself back in the original lane. This is where it gets dangerous. At least twice, the car behind me sped up to pass me on the left because they thought I was going to the passing lane. But then the Tesla went left and "cut off" the car behind me that was attempting to pass.

So my questions are: Does anyone else experience this issue? Am I missing a setting?
How could we report this to Tesla so that the car would just hug the left (or right) lane markers instead of finding the "center" of the lane
or at least don't do it for a longer distance?

Auto steer will keep you in the middle of the lane you are in, even when the lane gets wider. Unfortunately all states do not put the dashed lines on the right in these situations. When they do Auto steer works as expected. Yes, Tesla should fix this, but I think they are putting all their efforts into Full Self Driving.

An annoyance that is getting dangerous sometimes is that when my car is on autopilot in the outside lane of a highway, it goes right when the highway entrance lane marker ends and the lane gets "wide". The car veers right, and then goes left as the lane returns to normal width. The same type of behavior happens when one reaches a passing lane on the highway. The lane goes wide, and then after a few hundred feet, the new lane marker starts for the new passing lane and the tesla then veers left to put itself back in the original lane. This is where it gets dangerous. At least twice, the car behind me sped up to pass me on the left because they thought I was going to the passing lane. But then the Tesla went left and "cut off" the car behind me that was attempting to pass.

So my questions are: Does anyone else experience this issue? Am I missing a setting?
How could we report this to Tesla so that the car would just hug the left (or right) lane markers instead of finding the "center" of the lane
I have not experienced this is the Los Angeles, California area yet.

Reactions: Anteojito

You're not alone. I am on Beta FSD and it's still an issue because the car thinks it should be in the "middle" of a now suddenly wider lane. Hopefully, they'll update the program one of these days.

Mine acts quite weirdly and lunges for a middle position when lanes widen. It would terrify me at first, but now I expect it and adjust the steering wheel to counteract, just as we’re supposed to do.
Mine does this too, but if I try to counteract it, that takes me out of Auto Steer, and I'm just left in TACC. Doesn't it work that way for you?

What I'm doing in this situation: if cars are near me, I'll briefly disable AP if I see troublesome lane markings ahead, otherwise I'll just let the car drift to center.

Mine does this too, but if I try to counteract it, that takes me out of Auto Steer, and I'm just left in TACC. Doesn't it work that way for you?

What I'm doing in this situation: if cars are near me, I'll briefly disable AP if I see troublesome lane markings ahead, otherwise I'll just let the car drift to center.
Yes, it does. I have EAP, and if I readjust, the AP cuts out. I am used to it now, but it is kind of disheartening that they remain incapable of tweaking that tendency.

I've always had this occur with NOA and now with NOA/FSD-beta. When I'm alone on the freeway I just let it do its thing. Unfortunately, with traffic, it behaves like a drunk driver........Keep thinking I'll get pulled over someday. So I've programmed my M3P to robotically say, "I....haven't....touched....a....drop....occifer..........."

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
This happens to me as well, but now I only use Auto-pilot when operating in the lanes to the left of the entrance/exit lanes.

Tesla should use the left side's lane marking as the reference to position the car in the right lane. It's amazing that Tesla hasn't made this easy fix.

Reactions: RyanS

This has happened since Tesla moved away from MobileEye. AP1 cars has rubber banding so when driving in the slow lane, or even HOV, and the lane marker on one side ends it kept to the side with the marker when coming across an exit or entrance of the freeway. My AP1 S does this and is smooth driving in the slow lane…. MX AP3.0 not so much. It does what you experienced and looks dumb.

Reactions: KJD and CalBlue 85D
Auto steer will keep you in the middle of the lane you are in, even when the lane gets wider. Unfortunately all states do not put the dashed lines on the right in these situations. When they do Auto steer works as expected. Yes, Tesla should fix this, but I think they are putting all their efforts into Full Self Driving.
Exactly this.
You're not alone. I am on Beta FSD and it's still an issue because the car thinks it should be in the "middle" of a now suddenly wider lane. Hopefully, they'll update the program one of these days.
The next full version of FSD (V11, currently on 10.11.1) is supposedly changing the way the computer maps the environment and will theoretically be better with lanes navigation.

One thing I noticed with AP is it tends to be rather 'short sighted' and only reacts to what it sees 10 meters ahead. FSD is somewhat better at this.

• Informative
finding the "center" of the lane
Yes, happening to me also. Irritating that Tesla hasn't solved this issue. Here in Utah, as the lanes merge, and the division markings end, AP jerks the steering to the right, and then to the right as the merge ends. It even alerted me to take the wheel once. I would say it has improved just a bit, AP is not so demanding to reach center of lane. I also nudge left about 5 times, and have been getting through the mergings without dropping out of AP.
Tesla should use the left side's lane marking as the reference to position the car in the right lane. It's amazing that Tesla hasn't made this easy fix.
I agree, in these cases AP should depend on left side markings for the 100ft or so, to avoid appearing to be a drunk driver.

Reactions: miracj
Yep. AP only good in the center or left lane. But that annoys other drivers as well, as I set the speed limit at 5mph above. Not so good in the left lane.
Worse, though, is that it ignores traffic signals. It sees them. Shows them. Then ignores them. That's death dangerous.