Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR goes right on highway entrance lanes on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. AP only good in the center or left lane. But that annoys other drivers as well, as I set the speed limit at 5mph above. Not so good in the left lane.
Worse, though, is that it ignores traffic signals. It sees them. Shows them. Then ignores them. That's death dangerous.
There is a beta for the traffic light and stop sign recognition and stopping. I have it on my car but tried it one day and realized it wasn’t ready for prime time, slowed and stopped too soon.

I think many people forget that Autopilot is just an advanced cruise control with some extra features. It by no means get close to what FSD is capable of doing. Expectations are , yeah it should follow to drive path but for the computer it just needs to center it in the lane. It will lean left or right depending on which side you are on. That’s why in many other auto makers this function is called Lane Centering Assist.

I've taken 4 long roads trips (2K R/T) along I-64 where I use AP probably 50% of the time and while my 2020 Y will "wander" a bit to the right when there is an open merge area, it's very light, never dangerous and within a few feet correct and align with the left lane markings.

Having said that often for whatever reason the car can't see that left lane marking and get's a wee bit more confused. But NEVER has it been so severe as to be dangerous, I just keep my hand at the ready.

Yeah, these fading lines on the right make for a “confused” car and drive, I definitely turn off AP when I see some construction, heavy traffic or faded lines.

Attachments

• B9B6400A-3E46-4059-9191-7D55C81F608D.jpeg
    B9B6400A-3E46-4059-9191-7D55C81F608D.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 58
An annoyance that is getting dangerous sometimes is that when my car is on autopilot in the outside lane of a highway, it goes right when the highway entrance lane marker ends and the lane gets "wide". The car veers right, and then goes left as the lane returns to normal width. The same type of behavior happens when one reaches a passing lane on the highway. The lane goes wide, and then after a few hundred feet, the new lane marker starts for the new passing lane and the tesla then veers left to put itself back in the original lane. This is where it gets dangerous. At least twice, the car behind me sped up to pass me on the left because they thought I was going to the passing lane. But then the Tesla went left and "cut off" the car behind me that was attempting to pass.

So my questions are: Does anyone else experience this issue? Am I missing a setting?
How could we report this to Tesla so that the car would just hug the left (or right) lane markers instead of finding the "center" of the lane
or at least don't do it for a longer distance?

What software version are you on? Anecdotally, the latest update made serious AP improvements with phantom braking, so it may have helped this issue. I'm on 2022.8.3 and still have the issue.

Same here. I just disengage EAP and take the wheel when in that situation. Otherwise, makes the drivers behind me confused or upset. Not sure why Tesla cannot fix that.
Hello everyone, I am new here but have the same problems LOL and SMH. We call it ”enabling our drunk driving mode” because everyone behind us floors it around us because they obviously think we are drunk!

Yep. AP only good in the center or left lane. But that annoys other drivers as well, as I set the speed limit at 5mph above. Not so good in the left lane.
Worse, though, is that it ignores traffic signals. It sees them. Shows them. Then ignores them. That's death dangerous.
Autopilot does not stop for traffic signals. Autopilot is cruise control with lane-keeping. If you want the car to stop at traffic lights, you will have to spend $12K for Full Self Driving.