Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR phone charging pad success

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a MYLR and plan to get a new iPhone to replace my rustic iphone7. Any tips on how well the iPhone 12 mini works with the charging pad on the recent MY's? I read some threads indicating spotty success from those who got their vehicles in 2020 and hope Tesla has improved the charging pad in recent builds.

I just got a MYLR and plan to get a new iPhone to replace my rustic iphone7. Any tips on how well the iPhone 12 mini works with the charging pad on the recent MY's? I read some threads indicating spotty success from those who got their vehicles in 2020 and hope Tesla has improved the charging pad in recent builds.
I was having the same problem - 2021 Model Y - iPhone 12 Mini not charging on the wireless charger. I found a solution to this problem.
Set the iPhone 12 mini in the charger, Twist the phone counter clockwise as far as it goes while still in touch with the charging pad. The phone will light up as charging. Then move the phone back to the standard position and charging will continue until you move the phone off the charger. I have repeated these steps over and over and the phone will charge 100% of the time. This works with both sides of the wireless charger.
What I think is happening is the car doesn't send power to the charger until it senses a compatible phone is present. The phone doesn't signal to the car it is there unless it is position cockeyed in the holder. Once the car realizes the phone is there, charging current continues to flow so you can move the phone back to the normal position. It must be some combination of polarity out of sync between what the iphone 12 mini sends out and the recognition built into the Tesla wireless charger. Hope this helps everyone who has been stuck on this issue.

Reactions: Frenchrock
You'd better hurry; word is that Apple is discontinuing the iPhone 12 Mini due to lackluster sales. I have an iPhone SE 2. I use an Otterbox Commuter case with no issues. I am able to use the wireless charging pad in my 2020 LRMY. (My preferred phone case, untl now, has been the Otterbox Defender but Otterbox customer support recommended their Commuter model case for wireless charging.)